FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Mitochondrial donation, yes or no

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    LilSp
    never think gloomy

Post Thanks / Like

Mitochondrial donation, yes or no

Hello everyone! I really need your advice. I have been wanting to give birth already for many years. But unfortunately due to my medical condition I was told that I carry abnormal mitochondria and there is a huge risk of passing on the serious disease to my child. For quite a long time me and my husband were deciding if we were ready to turn to donor egg programs. Since the child would be genetically related only to my husband I was hesitant, I have always wanted my child to inherit my beautiful ginger hair, you know... And just to be my child… Recently I have read a very interesting article about the possibility of using donor’s healthy mitochondria in order to give necessary energy to my eggs. This way the baby will be related to both parents. I can’t believe it’s possible. I have already contacted the clinic and they say that it’s a true possibility for mothers who have already lost their hope. Do you have any thoughts concerning this new possibility? Have you tried mitochondrial donation yourself? Please let me know asap
    Last edited by LilSp; 04-02-2019 at 07:45 AM.

2. Advertisement

swiftmood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I am sorry to know your story. What clinic have you asked? From what I know in case of genetic diseases PGS NGS or PGD ONE might be a solution. But I am also interested in mitochondrial donation.
    ME - 36, DH - 45
    IVF #1 - 2017, BFN, no implantation
    IVF #2 - 2017, BFN
    changed clinics, 1st consulting - Gdansk, Poland

LilSp
    never think gloomy

Post Thanks / Like
    The program is an innovative one but they say that it is very effective. The clinic I contacted is a clinic in Ukraine, biotexcom. I also read that you can actually make this procedure in the UK but the thing is, the way it is done in the UK is quite different. They take both the donor’s egg and yours and fertilize them. Then your embryo is removed into donor’s mitochondria. And here the controversy of three parents steps in. Meanwhile in Ukraine, they just transmit necessary mitochondria and only then fertilize it that is why donor’s mitochondria doesn’t carry any genetic material. You can’t imagine how many articles I have read) If you are interested, let me know what you think of it xx