FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Egg donation as an option

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DonnyM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Egg donation as an option

Hi everyone!

I am very new to infertility treatments, especially to ART. I'm 48 years old and my husband is 49. We have no children, but there was a period (I was 44) when we were trying to conceive. As you understand, with no results. Now I often ask myself, why we have been waiting for this decision for a so long time, till the moment when we almost have no chances. I truly believed that 44 years was not too old, but the medicine says, that it is too late for me. I and my husband both want to be parents, but when I started a discussion about adoption, he refused this option. He wanted his biological child, but not non-bio. Some time passed and I was advised egg donation. I was consulted and the doctor says that it is possible for me to bear a child despite my age. It was the amazing news! What should I expect?

2. Advertisement

SC-Faith32
    happily busy :)
    Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    So you are planning to use donated embryo or egg, correct? If so, then you will likely be on birth control for a month or so (or sometimes they do skip this step), once lab work confirms your hormone levels are low, you will start prepping your lining for transfer. You will be on Estrogen supplements for about 2 weeks and then will start progesterone right before transfer. You will have a few ultrasounds and lab work in this process to make sure the lining is optimal and your hormones are cooperating. All in all it is a simple process, once you have agreed on an egg/embryo and have that process complete.
    Me-36 (endo 2002), DH-42 (perfect)
    DS (adopted 2004)
    Many IUI- bfn

IVF#1-4 (2 bfn's 2 chemical's)
    IVF#5 13 ret, 12 mat, 11 fert, 8 biopsy'd = 6 normal frozen for FET
    May 13 FET-BFP- m/c @ 6 weeks
    Sept 13- FET in Oct. cancelled due to surprise BFP!!
    EDD 5/25/2014 (c-section sch. 5/8/14) It's a BOY

DonnyM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you! You have described each step so detailed. Have you ever used egg donation?
    Will be this process surely successful?
    My husband doesn't believe in the medicine and I am tired doing something without desirable results.

brindy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Relaxed

*preg mentioned*

Quote Originally Posted by DonnyM View Post
    Thank you! You have described each step so detailed. Have you ever used egg donation?
    Will be this process surely successful?
    My husband doesn't believe in the medicine and I am tired doing something without desirable results.
    Hi Donny,

I too started my journey very late like you 48. I am now 50. I used donor eggs and husband's swimmers. We actually shared (50/50) a donor with another couple to help with cost and we got 14 embryos. We had to freeze all as I had fibriods and needed to have them taken out. The first time the FET didnt work. We did an ERA test, then another FET and I got a BFP with twins. Sadly, at 4.5 months and 5.5 months I miscarried them. High risk carrying twins. We tried again with a single embryo and I'm 7 weeks as of yesterday! Starting at 48 I thought for sure I'd have a bay by 49..

I have some advice as I think being our age is different from someone that is 35-40. We are in a "no time wasting" situation. What ever time you think it will take most likely it will take longer. Little surprises pop up...and you spend alot of time waiting.

Also, choose a proven donor. You dont have time to experiment with a donor that's not. Get one that has many live births. Then, obviously one that looks more like you. You'll need a good "egg broker" and a good RE. Im not sure where you live, but all you have to do is ask the women here on the boards and they have great resources where they live. Im in California/ My RE and egg broker are in Los Angeles.

You are entering into a new, complicated world with many new words, phrases etc. as you can already see by reading the boards. Keep the ERA test in the back of your mind if it doesnt work the first time and there is no reason it shouldnt have. Its a wonderful test that tells you if your uterine lining is receptive when they transfer. You dont know unless they test.

My advice is start now and go for it. Both you and your husband need to get checked to see where you stand. Your husband might be a contributor as well in IF. Mine was and we had to "fix" him too! Another time robber. If you have any questions I am here for you..ask away!! I feel we have different things to think about compared to women in their 30's and early 40's. Like what age we'll be when the child graduates from high school.

And thank you Janet Jackson for normalizing us "older" women. I did get carded for buying wine at whole foods last week---I'll take it!! LOL!

Marty123
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, hun! What marvelous news you've got!! I'm extremely happy for you
    I know there are age restrictions for performing DE IVF in some clinics. And this is so good they don't have it in yours. Our Biotexcom clinic also doesn't have age limits. Only health limits to make sure a woman is able to carry the pregnancy up to the term.
    We're currently passing our DE program in the place, shot#2. DX - endo, poor egg quality. I'm 49 yo, dh - 52 yo. This is how the 1st app went on in our case. Hope this helps.
    We defined the date for initial consultation. They sent us the list of the required documents. These were transvaginal ultrasound check results. Breast ultrasound check results. Chest X-ray (for both me and my husband). Doctor's certificate that I was healthy enough to carry out a baby and that pregnancy was not prohibited for me. Also sperm count if available.
    Than the initial consultation itself. We both came to the clinic to undergo the required tests (blood tests for both, pap smear, sperm count). The doctor studied medical records, performed transvaginal ultrasound check and evaluated our chances to successfully accomplish the program. He explained us the treatment plan. Also they gave us the medications needed for my subsequent stimulation protocol. All agreements signed. We decided to book 5 att program as it says they refund money in case of 5 failures in a row. Besides all meds and selective reduction if needed are covered by the package price.
    So, I've got a lot of experienced things to share with you. Will be pleased to help. Wish you all the best

DonnyM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    what amazing news! Thank you, brindy, your comment is the inspiration for my future steps. A lot of doubts stop me, especially my age. The second fear is not to succeed. I am not strong enough to believe in what I will never get.

I'm from Spain and to tell you the truth I'm not consider egg donation in USA. My husband told me that it was too expensive for us. Sometimes I think that he is not honest with me and just looks for some reasons not to move to the aim of becoming parents.
    People on forums talk about Russian and Ukrainian clinics of reproductive medicine, so I'm just trying to find out where it would be better to start a program.

I'm sure there will be a lot of question, so if you don't mind, I'll "disturb" you, as you know what you talk about. OWn experience is the best teacher and adviser.

DonnyM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Marty 123, you are so in time.
    I couldn't even imagine that the answers come by themselves.
    Just a few minutes earlier I was writing an answer for the comment to brindy and was thinking about where to start with my investigation of european reproductive clinics, And here you are with your reply!
    As far as I have found Biotexcom is located in Ukraine. Will I have some restrictions and requirements as a Spain resident?

swiftmood
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    People on forums talk about Russian and Ukrainian clinics of reproductive medicine, so I'm just trying to find out where it would be better to start a program.
    If you consider de in Russia or Ukraine (I also recommend clinics of Czech Rep and Poland) I think you definetely should check out http://www.eggdonationfriends.com/clinics/ where you would find tons of info on overseas clinics that offer de, prices, stats, reviews, success rates, etc. Hope it helps. I found it useful so other might. Good luck with yr search! x
    Thanks DonnyM thanked for this post

StephJ
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, honey. I’m so sorry for you. It sounds that it’s a heartbreak for you. I understand. In any case, you should not to give up, now modern reproductive medicine does really help, I assure you. After 5 miscarriages I couldn't even think that I would be able even to conceive one more time. During 4 years I changed 3 reproductive clinics. I don't want to name them, but I confidently can say, that some clinics wanted only to get more and more money, deceiving you. Just want to say, that biotexcom was the last clinic I had a deal with and which helped me to succeed in my desire to become a mom.
    Thanks DonnyM thanked for this post

DonnyM
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm very grateful for it!
    I've found this website very useful and informative. Quite complicated to analyse tons of service information and to choose, but I really need the best clinic to deal with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast