FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Please share your DE succes stories.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    september2
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Please share your DE succes stories.

Our 2nd embryo transfer is only a few days away. We had an early m/c after first try with a new donor. We were devastated. Trying a different donor with previous successful cycles this time. It would be great if other could share DE success stories. We are using both DE and DS and ICSI. Some info to share if comfortable: if this in not your first DE cycle what occurred in your first cycle, how many eggs retrieved, how many fertilized, day 3 or day 5 transfer, # transferred, embryo quality, first and second HCG levels, your experience.

2. Advertisement

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by september2 View Post
    if this in not your first DE cycle what occurred in your first cycle,
    how many eggs retrieved - I think it was 22.

how many fertilized - 12.

day 3 or day 5 transfer - 3 day

# transferred - 3 each time. We had 1 fresh cycle and 3 FETs. The first FET resulted in our son. The rest were all BFN.

embryo quality - a mix of As, Bs, and Cs. I didn't let them discard any - we transferred them all.

first and second HCG levels - first was 363. Second I believe, 768. We started with twins and one vanished.

your experience - nothing but positive. Even if I could go back and fix it so I could have genetic children, I wouldn't. I have the child I was meant to have and love him more than anything in the world. I do wish one of the last 2 FETs would have worked so we'd have a sibling, but I am satisfied.

Good luck!

Crystal

nandu
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    1st DE cycle was successful (proven donor).

eggs retrieved-34 (split cycle-we got 17)
    (of 17) 14 fertilized
    11 made it to day 5
    transferred 2 best - perfect looking expanded blasts
    4 were good enough to freeze
    oooh, hcg levels.... 8d post 5dt =200, 12d post 5dt = over 1400 (don't remember exactly right now)
    Result: twin boys

My experience was very positive as well. I still can't believe sometimes that my DE cycle was cheaper than any of my other cycles (with my sad little eggs). Like Crystal, I wouldn't change these guys for anything in the world. I never, not even for a minute felt that they weren't mine. The stats for DE FET at our clinic are abysmal though. Jury is still out if we will roll those dice though.

Wishing you all the best!

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalAZ View Post
    Even if I could go back and fix it so I could have genetic children, I wouldn't. I have the child I was meant to have and love him more than anything in the world.
    This is me, exactly.

28 eggs retrieved, 21 mature, 14 fertilized. Transferred 2 3day 8 cell, BFN. Froze 5 blasts at Day 5. FET of 2 blasts, had our son, HCG at 10dp5dt, 269, 13dp5dt, 2133. FET of 2 more blasts, had our twins, HCG at 9dp5dt, 465. 1 didn't survive the last thaw.
    Last edited by flicka7; 01-21-2010 at 11:03 PM.
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

BabyPrayers09
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed

Lightbulb Sharing our experiences

Arriving at the decision to create a family using DE or DS usually comes at the end of a long battle with IF. I thought it might be nice to share our experiences with everyone else to gain some insight into the process, and maybe help those who are still deciding if it's right for them or not.

For me, dh and myself were ttc #1 for 6 long years before finally deciding to use DE. We had done EVERYTHING imaginable. IUI, IVF, FET, accupuncure, SCSI testing on dh's sperm (which is realy considered sort of experimental), PGD diet, etc. You name it, we tried it.
    It got to the point where I was running out of time and money. We had to decide if we wanted to be parents, or continue to throw good money after bad trying to gamble with my eggs.
    One of my doctors put it simply, "I'm not saying you don't have a few good eggs in there, but with the handful I get at each retrieval, it's not likely I'll find them". Sad but true.
    It took ME quite a bit of soul searching (dh was on board a lot earlier) before I was comfortable with it. I needed to go to 2 different clinics (first one was a nightmare) to finally become pg, but it DID happen.
    I wish I had done it a lot sooner, but things happened the way they were meant to I'm sure.
    I'd LOVE to hear from you ladies. Can't wait to hear your stories

CrystalAZ
    has a status! Booyah!
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    My situation was a little different. It wasn't a matter of "should I keep trying with my eggs, or should I try DE?"

If I wanted to experience pregnancy and birth, this was my option.

Back to the beginning:

After trying for a while the "natural" way, we tried Clomid for about 8 months since I didn't ovulate regularly. Nothing.

Next came the HSG, which revealed blocked tubes.

So on to IVF.

The RE couldn't see much on the U/S but contributed that to my weight. So we went forward. At the first U/S to check follie sizes, he couldn't find my ovaries. He finally found them... way up by my belly button!

Obviously there was no way to retrieve them, so the cycle was canceled.

The RE said it was possible to do a laparascopic retrieval. He didn't perform them, but I found someone at an out-of-state office who said he could. So we traveled there, and were told that although he knew how to do it, he didn't really have the equipment and his staff weren't knowledgeable about the procedure! Nice to know after traveling hundreds of miles.

We found another local RE.

Next was a diagnostic lap, to find out why the ovaries were up there, whether they could be moved down, and what the state of my tubes were. Come to find out that I had (have) severe adhesions. The ovaries were encased in intestine by scar tissue and could not be cut out. I was told that in order to do so, it would require some bowel reconstruction. So that option was quickly discarded.

Which left 2 options. Donor eggs or adoption. I knew that I wanted to experience being pregnant and giving birth. So the choice was made for me.

I had a little bit of a hard time adjusting to the idea at first. Choosing a donor from the agency's profiles was especially awkward. But once we got through that and the retrieval and it was back to just us, I was excited and the embryos were "ours".

My fresh cycle, which I was told had as much as an 80% chance of success, was BFN. I was devastated as I thought DE was the golden ticket to parenthood for us.

We went forward with an FET using 3 of our 9 frozen embies, and it was BFP! I was elated and never thought I would get there!!!! Then we found out it was twins.

So happy.

Then between 9 and 12 weeks sometime, one of the twins vanished.

I was devastated and scared to lose the other baby.

The pregnancy and birth were not as planned. I had dreamed of an almost-natural vaginal birth and having my baby laid on my chest with us looking into each other's eyes.

Instead, my delivery included a helicopter ride to a state-of-the-art hospital, a harrowing hospital stay, an emergency c-section, and a threat to an insistent nurse that I didn't care if I was dragging my intestines down the hall behind me, I was going to the NICU to see my baby boy.

Not ONE THING happened as it was all "supposed" to be. And you know what? I am SO very glad for that.

Every hard choice, tear cried, moment of sheer desperation, argument with DH, lost hope, and muffled scream led to what I have now. And what I have now is the best and most beautiful little boy on the planet. I have to laugh at everything that seemed so important at the time. Because the conception, pregnancy, and birth are just a small blip in the lives of a mother and her son. And in the end, none of that matters. Memories, sure. But nothing more. What matters is that at the end of the day, a little voice says "Yuv you too... mommy."

That's what it is all about, man.

So if you have found this board, and you are crying because you've been told that donor eggs are your best option, and you don't know if it is right or how you'll get through it, I say with confidence to you that in the long run, it will not matter ONE IOTA where that first cell came from. Not even one bit. You cannot let this be an obstacle, but instead view it as an opportunity. This is a way your dream can come true. This path may very well lead you to the child who is out there waiting for you.

This child may not have your father's chin and your mother's blue eyes. But it may take on your father's laugh and your mother's love of gardening. It isn't all about genetics.

Go forward - and make it happen.

Crystal

BabyPrayers09
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Amazed
    What a beautiful post!
    I am so glad you took the time to write it.
    I have seen you quite a bit over the years, and I couldn't agree with you more.
    It's not only an "opportunity", but a privalege.
    At almost 40yrs old, I'm finding out that NOTHING goes according to plan anyway.
    Thank you for sharing your story.

daisy65
    is trying to stay positive and calm

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CrystalAZ View Post
    My situation was a little different. It wasn't a matter of "should I keep trying with my eggs, or should I try DE?"

If I wanted to experience pregnancy and birth, this was my option.

Back to the beginning:

After trying for a while the "natural" way, we tried Clomid for about 8 months since I didn't ovulate regularly. Nothing.

Next came the HSG, which revealed blocked tubes.

So on to IVF.

The RE couldn't see much on the U/S but contributed that to my weight. So we went forward. At the first U/S to check follie sizes, he couldn't find my ovaries. He finally found them... way up by my belly button!

Obviously there was no way to retrieve them, so the cycle was canceled.

The RE said it was possible to do a laparascopic retrieval. He didn't perform them, but I found someone at an out-of-state office who said he could. So we traveled there, and were told that although he knew how to do it, he didn't really have the equipment and his staff weren't knowledgeable about the procedure! Nice to know after traveling hundreds of miles.

We found another local RE.

Next was a diagnostic lap, to find out why the ovaries were up there, whether they could be moved down, and what the state of my tubes were. Come to find out that I had (have) severe adhesions. The ovaries were encased in intestine by scar tissue and could not be cut out. I was told that in order to do so, it would require some bowel reconstruction. So that option was quickly discarded.

Which left 2 options. Donor eggs or adoption. I knew that I wanted to experience being pregnant and giving birth. So the choice was made for me.

I had a little bit of a hard time adjusting to the idea at first. Choosing a donor from the agency's profiles was especially awkward. But once we got through that and the retrieval and it was back to just us, I was excited and the embryos were "ours".

My fresh cycle, which I was told had as much as an 80% chance of success, was BFN. I was devastated as I thought DE was the golden ticket to parenthood for us.

We went forward with an FET using 3 of our 9 frozen embies, and it was BFP! I was elated and never thought I would get there!!!! Then we found out it was twins.

So happy.

Then between 9 and 12 weeks sometime, one of the twins vanished.

I was devastated and scared to lose the other baby.

The pregnancy and birth were not as planned. I had dreamed of an almost-natural vaginal birth and having my baby laid on my chest with us looking into each other's eyes.

Instead, my delivery included a helicopter ride to a state-of-the-art hospital, a harrowing hospital stay, an emergency c-section, and a threat to an insistent nurse that I didn't care if I was dragging my intestines down the hall behind me, I was going to the NICU to see my baby boy.

Not ONE THING happened as it was all "supposed" to be. And you know what? I am SO very glad for that.

Every hard choice, tear cried, moment of sheer desperation, argument with DH, lost hope, and muffled scream led to what I have now. And what I have now is the best and most beautiful little boy on the planet. I have to laugh at everything that seemed so important at the time. Because the conception, pregnancy, and birth are just a small blip in the lives of a mother and her son. And in the end, none of that matters. Memories, sure. But nothing more. What matters is that at the end of the day, a little voice says "Yuv you too... mommy."

That's what it is all about, man.

So if you have found this board, and you are crying because you've been told that donor eggs are your best option, and you don't know if it is right or how you'll get through it, I say with confidence to you that in the long run, it will not matter ONE IOTA where that first cell came from. Not even one bit. You cannot let this be an obstacle, but instead view it as an opportunity. This is a way your dream can come true. This path may very well lead you to the child who is out there waiting for you.

This child may not have your father's chin and your mother's blue eyes. But it may take on your father's laugh and your mother's love of gardening. It isn't all about genetics.

Go forward - and make it happen.

Crystal
    OMG Crystal, what a poignant and beautifully touching post!!!!!!!!
    I was almost at tears reading this.
    & you are right, all of this bickering, worrying, fear shouldn't stand in the way of our dream of being a Mommy.
    It's just getting past the genetic aspect of it that's really hard for me right now.
    I still need to do a lot of soul searching. I don't have much time left so I need to make my decision pretty soon. I am not getting any younger and I don't want to wait another year. This has to be it.
    I need to make sure that I did the best I can with my own eggs first, which probably will result in one last cycle coming up this spring/early summer.

I was walking to work yesterday, and I happened to be next to a nanny and she was walking the most cutest baby boy. She told him to say hello and he told me to have a good day!! He was SO cute and it really hit me that I need to get the ball rolling soon.

And again Thank You for the Most encouragingly beautiful post.

JenDuck
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    CrystalAZ~YOU should write a book about DE!! I just read your post and I'm at work in tears...What beautiful words and they have touched my heart...I'm going to print your post right now...

I just did my 1st DE Cycle, my transfer was 3/4 and I am 5 weeks pregnant as of today!! My 1st US, however isn't until April 19th which seems forever and a day from now!!

My 1st beta~752 14dp3dt
    2nd beta~1566 16dp3dt
    3rd beta~4107 18dp3dt

What do You guys think, maybe twins or just a really BIG baby?!?!

tn_girl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the most wonderful 13 month old using DE and I am about to do IVF again with the same donor- transfer date May 10th! I am so excited and hopeful to get pregnant again. I would not trade my DS for anything in the world- and neither would my husband. It is so amazing how the worry and fears melt away in the delivery room and as soon as I held my son I knew all the years of pain and struggle were WORTH IT!! We did genetic testing, so out of 12 embryos, we have 5 that were viable. We transferred 2 on day 5 and one did not make it past 8 weeks. We froze 1 and the FET did not work. So here we are again...this is the last time the donor is going to cycle, so I feel like this is our chance to have a genetic sibling for our DS. Please pray!! We are starting to get nervous because she goes to retrieval on Wed.!

For those of you just starting on this journey, I would suggest writing down your feelings. I sometimes read my journals and am struck by my anger and hopelessness. But from that place I found strength, and I believe that I am better mother because of those trials.
    Likes asugirl97 liked this post

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast