FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Please share your DE succes stories.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    MyBaby5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We had two unsuccessful IUI's and one unsuccessful IVF. Our doctor basically said my uterus was great (for a 40 year old) but egg quality just wasn't there. He said he wouldn't suggest we stop trying EXCEPT that we make sure when we've exhausted all funds - we do so leaving enough to still have a successful DE transfer. I was crushed. I have had three children with previous husband a lifetime ago and so badly wanted to mother the child of my current husband of 6 years – I wanted ‘our’ child (other children are 23, 21, and 19).

I was jealous of the donors and their 'great quality eggs'. Since I was giving up the opportunity to use my own eggs, I wanted to pick the donor myself (DH having veto power of course) but I thought I would feel more a part of the egg process by making the selection myself. It wasn't long though and I found that DH and I could do this together and it made the process that much more of a bonding time for us. Instead of making me feel inferior... my DH made me feel like the world was in my hands and he was perfectly safe with that (and whatever the outcome).

The first donor we choose was already being used by another and I'd have to wait...(tears and frustration). The second donor we choose ended up getting engaged and that changed her plans for the future (more tears and another sleepless night). The third donor was what I considered 3rd runner up but in the end, looking back, she was always the perfect match for us.... same ethnic background: German father and French mother (same as me), she looked like she could have been a member of my side of the family. Her features blended with my three existing children. She was perfect. She (unlike the other two donors) was unproven though and at the cost same as the others presented a little more risk on our part. We went for it. As it turned out, she wasn't a super producer and after our cycle she was pulled from the donor list. Which we were secretly pleased with only because it made our eggs exclusive to us.

She gave us something like 14 follicles, 12 with eggs, 10 fertilized, 8 continued to grow, and then we were finally down to 6 (that still weren't super quality)... but we were able to transfer 2 good ones and freeze 4 (1 fair-good, 1 fair, 1 poor to fair, and 1 poor). Of the two fresh transferred, we got our beautiful perfect little boy (our dream come true).

And now, fast forward 14+ months after his birth.... we are looking at doing a FET cycle and need to decide what to transfer. Embryologist suggests all four because of their quality.... you know maybe one doesn't make thaw, so really transferring only three of not so good quality and hoping one sticks.... I'm nervous to transfer that many. UGH.. considering maybe the best one and the worst one and saving the mediocre ones for a second try if need be.. I don't know.... or maybe I transfer the two best and hope I don't need a second try with the poor quality eggs. Hummm... I don't know, I don't know... but need to decide in the next month and am torn. I read the postings of 1 transferred and BFP and here I am considering 4! But who's to argue with the embryologist - they know their eggs and what works right...? Just not sure.. Open for suggestions....

2. Advertisement

EbonyPrncess1
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me first say that everything my DH and I went through was all worth it!! I start my first IVF cycle in April of 2007, but had a very low response to meds and was only able to transfer one 3-day embie. I was devastated when I was told I was not pregnant. Due do demenished ovarian production my husband and I decided to move on to the DE program in April 2008. I was very anxious, not knowing what to expect. We did the Shared Risk 3:1 at Shady Grove, and on the first try they transfered two 5day embryo's. In July 2008 after the first DE cycle, I finally got a positive pregnancy test!! In February 2009, I gave birth to twin girls (7lbs 14oz and 6lbs.12oz). They are the love of my life and even through all the worrying, hard decision making, tears, pain, injections, road trips to my IF Doc, morning sickness, etc. I wouldn't change a thing and I would do it all over if it meant having my girls.

Whatever phase you may be in in the DE cycle, know that there are many success stories!! Becoming a Mom/Dad is life changing and I wish everyone the same happiness that has been bestowed upon me since the birth of my girls.

Best of Luck

MyBaby5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ebony - Did both embryos stick and grow or did you have one that split? I know splitting is comming (more common) with IVF cycles than what would happen naturally. Just curious. Their weights at 7lb14oz and 6lb02oz is fantastic! I think most would consider themselves lucky to get at least one baby over 5lbs - good job!!! Glad things worked out so well for you!

jennlee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that post, I came on today looking for some inspiration....and found it 4 days out after my BFN from second donor, after miscarriage with first doner and I am stuck in the "hopeless" stage...and I am in the waiting period for the FET cycle (8 weeks away due to timing of the holidays and clinic shutting down for 2 weeks) I needed something that would remind me that it will ALL be worth it-and that FET can work!

MyBaby5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jennlee, I am on schedule for FET in 7 weeks (also due to the holidays). I have done a lot of post readings from those having done FET cycles and was very surprised to see there were many that had no sucess with IVF but BFP with FET. I have to believe that we will get BFP from one of our four on ice. I was so anxious that I started acupunture a few weeks ago (when I thought I would have a FET cycle in early Dec.). Now I don't know if I should skip several weeks and start up again when there are only 3-4 weeks to go... How many do you have froze? How many will you transfer?

jennlee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am also scheduled for 7 weeks out, just got the call from the nurse for the exact date. I have to admit I was so upset when I found out it had to be put off until 2011.....it already feels like all I do is wait, wait and wait. I am going to try to relax and enjoy the holidays-do things I woouldn't normally be doing like enjoy some wine and coffee and go in the hot tub (we'll see how that goes) Its funny you mention acupuncture because I was thinking of going as well-but it is so expensive and we are already spending so much money, also I got pregnant from the first transfer without acupuncture) I may go 4 or 5 times right before the week of the transfer, not sure. We have five blasts frozen, I am praying that the first two we thaw survive. I wanted to put 3 back but I think because they will be six day blasts my doctor will push me to only put back two, but in some ways I am ok with that since if this one doesn't work we will still have another round to hope for. How many are you putting back? People say FET is less stressful but I think it just is different stress, now I am freaking out about the thawing process.....sometimes it's just too much!

MyBaby5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    jennlee, I only needed to have an hcg level under 5 last week to be put on the FET schedule calendar for the first week in January.... but test came back a 6! and I had to go back in today for another check. I hope there are still openings that first week but it may possibly push to the following week... You would think that after waiting this long another week wouldn't mean much, but every day/week out seems critical... especially since I was thinking (without considering THE CLINIC's schedule) that I would be starting sooner and transfering early/mid December! I wanted a BFP for Christmas! : ) Your insurance might cover acupuncture... I only planned to go the first four weeks before transfer so when I found out it wouldn't be until January, I cancelled Saturday's appt and will start back up in December. I go once a week and then twice the week before transfer and my acupuncturist actually goes to the clinic with me and does it again just before transfer. Does it work..? I don't know - but some people swear by it and I can definately say I got pregnant last time doing it and it does relax me which is a big plus when trying. I'm with you, I want to thaw two - hope they both survive and save the rest (we have a total of 4) for the 'what if' cycle. IF one doesn't survive, I guess we'll have to thaw another and we're left with only one on ice (which hopefully we won't need). The embryologist suggested we actually transfer ALL 4 because of their quality (fair to good, fair, poor to fair, and poor) however I think the problem I've had in the past was with MY eggs not MY lining/uterus, so if one or all takes, we get 1 or more babies... I'm not prepared to transfer 4. Our donor was unproven and after us I believe they took her off the list because she didn't produce the quantity and quality that they expect. I know what you mean, there are so many things to plan and stress about... but sometimes you just have to take a breath, find things you CAN do while not pregnant, and see what happens (easier said then done!). : ) Hang in there!

A glass of wine $7
    A nice dinner out with the relatives $100's
    The look on your aunt/uncles face when you respond to their repeated question of if you will have a (or another) child... 'Yes, aunt/uncle so-and-so, the baby is already waiting and being stored on ice; we're scheduled to be pregnant after the holidays' - to see the look on their faces.. it 'almost' makes the wait worth it! : ) Priceless

ohmybaby
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi everyone,
    I've enjoyed reading your stories and look forward to adding mine to the DE success listing very soon. I am not the infertility "pro" here like so many are. I was married and we tried and had two pregnancies that didn't make it past 10 weeks. ttc for almost 4 years. That was years ago.
    Since then I'm still single, just never met the guy or the one's I did ended up not wanting a family for various reasons and I wasn't going to give up my dream of being a Mom.
    Fast forward, which is really what's happened here. One day I woke up and I'm 45 years old, single again (not multiple marriages here, multiple medium and long term relationships). I thought my dream of having children had passed. I've had 3 surgeries for fibroids and endometriosis in the last 5 years. I stopped having periods in August 09 and by February 10 decided I needed to go talk to an RE for one last consult before I totally gave up being a Mom through pregnancy.
    The DE program was discussed with me after an AMH level came back of almost nothing. I had to think about it for 30 seconds before just knowing this was my chance to be a Mom through carrying my own child.
    A bunch of mess with my first RE practice left me waiting over 6 months to be matched with a donor and no donors were presenting at all, even with limited "absolute requirements".
    I found the RBA website in Atlanta and scheduled a consult. Once again, within minutes I just knew I was in the right place to have the child I have always dreamed of. I switched practices and am now in the frozen DE program. Within 30 days of walking in for my first consult, all my testing was transferred over and completed and I had chosen a donor from their bank. I've done one "prime" cycle of estrace and am now on DOC 8 with a scheduled transfer date of 12/4 or 12/6 depending on 3dt or 5dt. I also turned 46!

I have a question for all you Mom's out there with twins. I've been debating back and forth the decision to transfer 2 vs. 1 with the expectation of having twins. I know it depends on quality and 3dt vs 5dt on how likely 2 are vs. just one or none to stick even if I transfer two from the start.
    I just know that transferring 2 can produce twins and I need to prepare myself for that and really think it through. I would love to have twins, always thought that I would even as a young girl. Funny how it's gotten to this point many years later and it's a real option that I can even to some extent choose.
    I know I would never regret twins once I have them. I'm just wondering what your thoughts were in deciding that twins would be what you do want to have or at least accepting that as a real possibility when you transferred multiple embys.
    Also, I have friends with twins from IVF that transferred 3. They think it's awesome and a great way to have more than one child, especially since they are older too. After having their twin boys, they decided their family was complete and donated their last FE for adoption by another couple. I hear nothing from them except the positive of having twins.

I am single and I have a great support system with family and friends close by that are all wiling to help. I will have to go back to work full time but I can afford to hire help and day care is in my neighborhood with more than one neighbor that keeps kids in her house. My neighborhood is full of babies!
    I hear the first 6 months is tough because of the baby stage and everything they need from you and being doubled. I hear after that, they get easier and having two vs. one is easier because they now entertain each other.

Anyone have thoughts they can share? I have a transfer coming up in a couple of weeks, I'll be making this decision on the fly based on the RE's recommendation on embryo quality but need to feel in my heart that two or one being transferred is the best decision for me. I'm just looking to others to get some thoughts to wrap my head around.

I want to be able to say, I want twins, put in two excellent quality embryos and when I get two that was what I wanted from the beginning. If I get one from the two, that was God's plan for me.

Thanks and good luck to everyone with ongoing PG and those with upcoming cycles looking for BFP's for you all!
    Me: 46 single ready to be a Mom
    Twin boys born 7-30-2011

jennlee
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    MyBaby5,
    The waiting is going to do me in....I lost it when I was told I had to wait until 2011 to do the FET, I mean broke down at work, left without telling anyone and basically took it out on my nurse on the phone. Like you I was dealing with my BFN by thinking "ok, I can still get my Christmas miracle...." I came home and drank a bottle of wine alone and tried to regain some sense of hopefullness. I guess I have accepted the time frame now, but it is hard to not just want to close my eyes and have it be 2011. I think that is one of the worst parts of this-feeling like I'm just wishing time away until I get some good news! Did you have a BFN or an early miscarriage? Do you have a child from a previous cycle? Hope your HCG came down, after my miscarriage in June it took forever! and then my body went into some weird perimeni state and my doctor didn't suppress me because of it and then my body decided to kick in and produce 2 follicles all on its own so we had to postpone that cycle another month-yuck is all I can say. We used an unproven donor the first time too-horrible, she is no longer in the program either, but we got pregnant with our ONE decent embryo (25,000 for one embryo ????) and then miscarried! Our next donor has had three proven cycles all resulting in live births, and now we have broken that streak of good luck with our BFN, sometimes none of this seems real. Are your frozen embies multi cell or blasts, I'm thinking of putting back 3....but since they are blasts I think my doctor will fight me on it. Off to make a pumpkin pie!

MyBaby5
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jennlee,
    I COMPLETELY understand! I think about it ALL the time. What's tough too is that I can't just talk about it randomly with the excitment I have because most people if I told them I am anxiously awaiting the transfer of my embryos that are currently being stored on ice.. well, I think they would just look at me with the sort of expression that says you have obviously watched too many scifi movies (its amazing how many people don't even realize this process exists!). Umm yea, would pretty much be a conversation stopper. So, no - it wasn't the topic around the Thankgiving dinner table (as much as I thought they should all know and be celebrating the pending BFP!) : )

End of last week my hcg level went to ZERO and I got my transfer date: 01/05/11! Woo hoo, it finally went from dreamlike wishful thinking to reality. When we lost our baby boy at 17 weeks (6 weeks ago) I was devistated (he was a miracle - our OWN baby, not from donor eggs!) but (after we lost him) when I thought about doing a FET cycle and having a BFP before Christmas - it cheered me up (some). Then depression hit again after hearing they weren't scheduling FET cycles until 2011- I was like WHAT??!?!? I was crushed. Not only did I have to wait until 2011 BUT now due date would be just AFTER my 43rd birthday - not happy about that. Then, DH went out of the country for 2 weeks and I smoked cigerettes (I don't even smoke!)...shhhh, he doesn't know. I can only say I was retaliating that if I couldn't have a baby now, I was going to be bad. Weird how the mind works. Your breakdown at work and wine binge sound completely normal to me.... even if coworkers think you've lost it....which was probably true for both of us, yet somehow we find ourselves again.

Back to healthy habits, starting up with acupuncturist beginning of Dec (he's gone the week of Christmas) but than back again before the transfer.

I still need to talk to the doctor about how many to transfer. The embryologist suggested all 4 because they are not the best quality. I believe they are 4 and 5 day compacted (not really sure but am thinking that means just before blast phase, or maybe that is blast phase..?) We transfered 2 last time and got singleton and I'm affraid that even though quality isn't there that 4 might still bring twins (or more)... and at 42, although I wouldn't turn down twins, I would really prefer to just have one since we got DS 15 months ago. When prego with him, I thought twins would be grand and we would be done with any ideas of a second round. Humm, but wasn't to be in the cards and here we are.

You have had a string of bad luck... but that puts the odds in your favor - you are due for a BFP! Are you hoping for twins or just pretty convinced that it'll take 3 to get you results? It's a tough choice. I know I was sure I would follow the direction of the embryologist but it turns out I'm more comfortable with just 2 (I'm curious if doc will try to convince me otherwise...I'm curious if I'll fold and do as he suggests....).

Would this be your first child? (...because YES you ARE going to have this baby!)

: )

About 54 days (including 2ww) to a BFP! Hang in there! Every day and holiday that goes by... just think how it'll be you AND baby next year!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast