FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
December 2018 Cycle Group

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SC-Kelley M.
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like

December 2018 Cycle Group

It's time for a new monthly thread ladies!!

I haven't posted one of these before, so I'm copying SC-Frewtygal's post and updating it

December is here, and all the family gatherings associated with the holiday season can make this a particularly difficult time of year. Be extra kind to yourself, and remember that even during all the hustle and bustle, taking time for self-care while cycling through the holidays is important. Also, the number one thing I've found helpful is to have your answers pre-planned, so whether you're open about your treatment and happy to give an update or need an excuse for passing on the egg nog, knowing what you're going to say can help make those moments easier.

As SC-Frewtygal puts it, "Having us take the time to celebrate [...] is important, especially with family and friends. By rejuvenating yourself [...], you can keep moving forward, in whatever stage in your cycles you're in. Just remember, while on this journey...things may not be unfolding the way you had expected, but they're doing so the way they were meant to. Because no matter, which way we become Mommies and Daddies, each of our times will come. Here's to lots of follies that GROW, GROW, GROW, quick and painless IUIs/IVFs, fly-by 2WWs, with BFPs at the end of it all!!"

Just a gentle reminder, to tag your posts, if talking about pregnancy/children/loss. I know most, if not all of us, are fine with hearing about any one of these things, but some may not be. Much appreciated!!

2. Advertisement

hoping4famof3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    SC-Kelly: thanks for starting this thread.

I started my IVF cycle a few weeks ago and had retrieval 2 days ago. Had 12 Oocytes retrieved which was exciting to hear especially since the RE told me I will likely only get 4. Well after fertilization only 4 fertilized after 24 hours and 2 more were considered unfertilized but still culturing. So, we may have up to 6. Hoping they all do well and grow grow grow. Will get an update for day 3 tomorrow. RE wanted to do an all freeze whether army day3 or day 5. Previous cycles have not proven well for day 5 but this is a new doc and we are in Japan now and they do things a bit different here.

Anyone else on this journey these days? Would love some cycle buddies. Currently looking to maybe do an FET in December.

SC-Kelley M.
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    How did it go today? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you

hoping4famof3
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SC-Kelley M. View Post
    How did it go today? I've been keeping my fingers crossed for you
    Thanks for asking and for fx. The results weren’t as great as we’d hoped. Of the 6 culturing, only 3 are going to proceed. 2 are good 8-cell embryos and one is a 4-cell, they say lagging a half-day. I wonder if it is one of the two that hasn’t shown official fertilization at the 24 hour mark. Hoping all 3 make it to blastocysts, but at least the two. Our clinic stated that there is an 80% chance the 8-cell ones will make it to blast and 80% chance of pregnancy if FET a blast. About 25% chance the 4-cell with make it to blast but similar pregnancy rates if it does make it. We debated freezing at 3day but wanted to see if they make it. 3 years ago I had one embryo make it to a blastocyst. The REs seem to think my egg quality is poor and we have always transferred a fresh cycle on day 3 and of my three cycles have one frozen blast. This clinic places a lot of trust in FET and highly encouraged an FET. I’m in Japan now.

SC-Kelley: are you cycling now or soon or recently?

SC-Kelley M.
    has no status.
    Administrator

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually work in the fertility space writing educational material and offering emotional support. As such, I've been the support person for a couple of friends going through egg freezing and treatment. I can't speak from my own experience as a patient, but I've gone through so many cycles as "the right-hand man" that I like to think I can relate (to a certain extent) to couples on Fertile Thoughts.

In the US, from my own personal research, the general consensus is FET is better if not equal to fresh transfer. Waiting helps your body reset and--the belief is--make your uterine lining a more hospitable place for an embryo to implant since your hormones haven't been tweaked as much as they are during a retrieval. I'm not a doctor, so take what I say with a grain of salt and please ask any and all questions/concerns with your own RE. I only mention it as a way to let you know, I've definitely heard of clinics preferring FET (FWIW).

Have you talked to your clinic about supplements, diet changes, and acupuncture to help improve egg quality? Anecdotally, I've heard from other women (and there are discussions here in the forums) that they've made certain changes and saw improved egg quality.