FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Hopefully a fun question....if you went to church last weekend...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    RobinL
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully a fun question....if you went to church last weekend...

I intentionally waited until Friday to post this. What do you remember about the sermon last weekend? What in particular struck you? Did you keep it in mind this past week or are you only just now thinking about it because I asked? (LOL!)

Our priest is always reminding us that we have to live Christian lives all week, not just on Sunday. (Of course!) He seems to think that some people are making grocery lists in their heads while he's giving his sermons and that his words are soon forgotten. Personally, I think he gives great sermons and I hang on his every word, but it's true that I often forget about them as the week goes on. How about you?

Here's mine. I tend to over-simplify, so I'm sorry about that in advance! I thought this one was a little weird and my memory isn't too good this week so it's pretty disjointed. Last Sunday's sermon was about time. The disciples expected Jesus to return in their lifetime. Judgment day was thought to be imminent. Within one generation. (I'd like to know how those who interpret the bible literally explain this.) When it didn't happen, they had to figure out why and what to do about it. In the end, it seems that God's time and ours just aren't the same! Institutions of all types deal with the passage of time and the institution of the church was created to deal with the passage of time until Judgment day. Hmmmm. I thought it was amusing when he said that if someone claims to know that the end is near, we should ask if their life insurance is paid up to find out how seriously they believe it!!! Okay, well I thought it was funny! We don't know when it will happen, so we need to be prepared all the time. He went on to say that as Christians we live in a different time zone, God's time. Sorta lost me there. He also talked a lot about John the Baptist and how baptisms were done in temples, were ritualistic, and done many times. The idea of doing it outside of town and doing it only one time was rather radical. I didn't realize that baptisms were already done then....do Jews today get baptized?? I didn't think so. I'll have to ask my coworkers about that one.

Well, at the time it all made sense, but now it sounds rather jumbled. LOL! Okay, I know you can do better.
    Robin
    Duncan (surviving twin)--15yrs.
    Chloe Rose (angel twin)
    Sophie--11yrs

2. Advertisement

Tracik
    - Save a life become a Bone Marrow Donor
    International Adoption
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I don't think I can go into as much detail as you ... but our sermon was based on Mark 1: 1 - 8. Our minister talked about how are we preparing for the coming of christ and not getting bogged down in the day to day stuff. Basically "how are we preparing our hearts for celebrating the birth of jesus". It was a great sermon, and the littlle 8 yr old who read the first reading did a great job (family service the kids do the readings... I love it because DD wants to know when she can do that and it is encouraging her to want to learn to read).
    Wife to Tim, Mommy to 2 Guatemalan blessings
    A, Home 3/02M, Home 1/04, dx w/ALL, PH+ 4/25/08, fighting cancer & he will win

Be a Bone Marrow Donor
    http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/index.html

"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a wish that every cup overflow with blessings & that every path leads to peace"-A.Pharo

Chrissii
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    We are church hunting right now, and the visited a new church last Sunday. Unfortunately, it was a church that adamantly believes children should not be in a service. We have always kept all of our children, with the exception of our special needs dd at times, in services with us. We teach them early, so they have the ability to sit through a service. Sooooooooooooo, that being said, I only heard bits of the sermon over the speaker. It was based on Christmas, the gift God has given us, and the gift we can give back to Him. Sorry, I can't share more! Good thread!
    I'm really looking forward to going to church this Sunday!
    Chrissi & Crew:
    Kelsa 17, Isaac 16,
    Grace 8, Mercy 8, Elijah 7, Gideon 7, Moses 5 (all born in Guatemala),
    Glory 5(private,open,domestic adoption)

BC-GoMom
    Jesus is the Reason for the Season!
    BC: Preg +35/Christianity
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    We had one of our newer pastors preach on The Christmas Giver (Luke 2:1-14)
    God_ The Giver
    The Motive of the Giver_ which is Love
    The joy of the Giver_the Joy of the receiver.

Then practical applications as our response to God gift:
    Acknowledging God as the Giver
    Acknowledging our dependence on the Giver
    We should seek to worship the Giver by imitation: by rejecting selfish giving and by giving gifts that point back to God

I did have to cheat- and look at our worship guide for such detail...
    JenC

trustgod
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Both services last Sunday were about giving EVERYTHING to God. How we must give him everything we have. Let him have all our thoughts, feelings, etc. It is time for Christians to get back to being true Christians again like the early church. God wants to send a last days revival, but he must revive the church first. It was really good!!! Can't wait for church tomorrow!

Cathy
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I missed church due to a sick kid and a sick me. I can't wait to go tomorrow as we are having a special consecration service for our new Sanctuary and educational building. Its going to be a very special day for our little church.
    Cathy
    Mommy and Warrior Goddess
    figuring out what to do-one step at a time, moment by moment, one day at a time and praying to My Father in heaven for healing.

TylersDad
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Our sermon was based on the first part of Joshua 10, and loosely dealt with victory. Basically, if God is on your side, the enemy can't win.
    DH to Marty419

Proud Papa to Tyler who came home to us December 19, 2002.

Proud Papa to Taylor, who is waiting to come home.