I got this on my email today and wanted to share. I won't be able to post Saturday - will be out of town, so I will try to post something extra tomorrow.

The Wonder Of It All

Psalm 77:11-12
“ I will remember the deeds of the Lord; yes, I will remember your wonders of old. I will ponder all your work and meditate on your mighty deeds.”

As I’m staring out the window of seat 11A on Delta flight 5280 from Memphis to Cincinnati, I wonder why I’m not astounded that this huge pile of steel just came off the ground! Why are things less amazing because they’re familiar? Why am I not amazed that it’s dark on the ground but up here, you can still see the sun setting in the west? Why am I not amazed that what looks like a solid orange carpet stretching as far as I can see is really just the clouds reflecting the fading, ever-changing light? Clouds as insubstantial as the air blowing in my face? Why am I not impressed with the outline of a city’s lights, showing just how much man can expand? Why can’t anyone build a straight road in Memphis? Why do I not stare out the window, awestruck every time my plane takes off? Why do I just naturally do what I’m supposed to do, which is generally one of two things: go to sleep or read a book? Why is it so easy to trade the magnificent for the mundane?

It’s not like LOST is more amazing than the wings of a butterfly. Xbox is not more entertaining than a mountain’s majesty, whether purple or not. Batman Begins is not more fascinating than the birth of a child. I choose to be entertained by these things, and most often choose to be distracted from the active glory of God, which surrounds me every day. All I would have to do is look up. In the first verse of Psalm 19, David says, “The heavens declare the glory of God, and the sky above proclaims His handiwork.” The magnificence of God is all around me. “For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities – His eternal power and divine nature – have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse,”

Romans 1:20
All we have to do is stop what we’re doing for a moment and notice. God is ready and has given us much occasion to worship Him. We just don’t take the time. We do need to be still and know that He is God, but we also need to be still and notice He is God

We fill our schedules so tightly that we rarely take the opportunity to be amazed by God. The spare time we do have we usually use in ways that distract ourselves from the reality of life. We do not live our lives in wonder at what He has made because we have been distracted by what we have made. Today maybe we need to take a moment and look for Him. Stop and gaze at the beauty He has made. Slow down and ask Him to reveal His glory in the midst of our ordinary lives. Pause and remember all the things He has done for us. I don’t think God planned for us to live our lives consumed by meaningless trivia and yet still be bored. I think He created all of life to allow His children to live in a constant state of wonder. May you live today being fascinated by your God.