FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Question of the Day October 16

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ellie Mae
    What does not kill us...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused

Question Question of the Day October 16

Do you believe in the gift of tongues?

16 15 13 6 5/05

2. Advertisement

Ellie Mae
    What does not kill us...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Yes, I believe fully in the baptsim by the Holy Spirit and the gift of tongues.

16 15 13 6 5/05

Tracik
    - Save a life become a Bone Marrow Donor
    International Adoption
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Not really... while I believe that god speaks to people, I know he has to me, and in his holy sacraments I just can't get my mind around the whole Tongues thing
    Wife to Tim, Mommy to 2 Guatemalan blessings
    A, Home 3/02M, Home 1/04, dx w/ALL, PH+ 4/25/08, fighting cancer & he will win

Be a Bone Marrow Donor
    http://www.marrow.org/JOIN/index.html

"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a wish that every cup overflow with blessings & that every path leads to peace"-A.Pharo

Dawn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit. My dh and I have both received it So, Oh, YES I BELIEVE!!!!

Tracey - for a different perspective - I don't get the whole catholic sacrament thing. I've searched the scriptures looking for them and can't find them. I guess it is just a matter of what you were raised to believe, which religion you follow and what you are open to. Not better or worse, just different
    Dawn
    Gracia's Mom
    Accepted referral on 2/18/02
    Home Forever 9/25/02

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
    2 Timothy 4:7

trustgod
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I believe in the baptism of the Holy Spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues. I believe in tongues and interpretation also.

Tracik
    International Adoption
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Dawn... I am not Catholic so I can't speak to their take on it... I am Episcopal and we do take communion however. Here is what I have read on Communion: The Liturgy of the Meal is the sharing of bread and wine in remembrance of Jesus’ death and resurrection. Holy Communion has its roots in Jesus’ Passover meal with his disciples on the night before his death (Matthew 26:26-29).... in brief....The night before Jesus was crucified, he had a Passover supper with his disciples. After supper, Jesus knew that this would be his final opportunity to instruct his disciples before the crucifixion, so he talked at length about his purposes, what his followers should do in response, and the promise of the Holy Spirit to come. He then washed his disciples' feet in an incredible demonstration of humility and servant hood. Finally, he gave bread and wine to his disciples and asked them to partake of it in remembrance of him. The act of partaking bread and wine is called Communion (or the Last Supper) today. When we receive the bread and wine, God forgives our sins and refreshes us for our daily life. We believe that Jesus is truly present in these elements.

I guess on the Tongue's thing I am just skeptical.... In college I attended, for a very short time, an evangelical church near our campus. Tongue's was a big thing there, like a badge of honor, but I know from several "friends" there that you needed to "fake it" at least once a month so that you stayed in good standing with the church.... this is one of the things that turned me off of this congregation, and also lowered my opinion of these "friends". I know that they were most likely not the norm and that there were many people in that church that believed strongly in the gift of tongues and embraced it, as there are people here that do so, but it really added to the skepticism for me. That being said I think any thing that brings you closer to him and doesn't harm yourself or others is wonderful. We all follow our own paths to the same destination, his word and glory

Be a Bone Marrow Donor

"What is Christmas? It is tenderness for the past, courage for the present, hope for the future. It is a wish that every cup overflow with blessings & that every path leads to peace"-A.Pharo

trustgod
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=BC-Tracik I guess on the Tongue's thing I am just skeptical.... In college I attended, for a very short time, an evangelical church near our campus. Tongue's was a big thing there, like a badge of honor, but I know from several "friends" there that you needed to "fake it" at least once a month so that you stayed in good standing with the church.... this is one of the things that turned me off of this congregation, and also lowered my opinion of these "friends". I know that they were most likely not the norm and that there were many people in that church that believed strongly in the gift of tongues and embraced it, as there are people here that do so, but it really added to the skepticism for me. That being said I think any thing that brings you closer to him and doesn't harm yourself or others is wonderful. We all follow our own paths to the same destination, his word and glory [/QUOTE]

Oh, that really gets my feathers ruffled. I do not speak in tongues unless the Holy Spirit leads. What is the point otherwise? Why anyone would feel the need to "fake it" is beyond me. Apparently those people did not really know Jesus or the power of the Holy Spirit. To me, faking it is the same as blasphemy. Please do not let those people form your opinion. Tongues is a wonderful thing. It is a gift of God. I Corinthians 12-14 is about gifts of the spirit and 14 is about tongues. I encourage you to read it. Also, Act 2:39 states that the promise of the Holy Ghost with the evidence of speaking in tongues is for everyone!

By the way, we do communion but only once or twice a year. I have always wondered why Catholics and Episcopals do every week. Just curious.

Shanda

Tracik
    International Adoption
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Quote Originally Posted by trustgod
    By the way, we do communion but only once or twice a year. I have always wondered why Catholics and Episcopals do every week. Just curious.

Shanda
    You know I have never really questioned why we do it weekly. Personally I love the ritual and my kids do as well, they are learning all the works and songs up to communion without much coacing from me IMHO... It is because it is part of the ritual/dogma that our particular faith follows.... Also, I feel that the process of communion is a weekly reminder in Jesus and his sacrifice and cleanses you of your sin's so that you can "go in peace to love and serve the lord" "Thanks be to God" (what we say at the end of services).

Know you have my curriosity up, and I probably should know the answer, I am sure they said something about it during confirmation classes .... I am going to email my bible teacher now and ask.
    Last edited by Tracik; 10-17-2005 at 03:41 PM.

Be a Bone Marrow Donor

Dawn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tracey- Jesus said at the last supper "as often as you do this, do it in memory of me". I think the implication is "as often as you do this AND DO IT OFTEN".

Some pentacostal churches only do communion once a month or so because they feel that doing it too frequently reduces it to a ritual that soon becomes empty and automatic.

In my studies I've learned that the catholic church does it every week because they believe the bread and wine really are transformed into the body and blood of Christ. What's wrong with this? They are in essense crucifying Christ every single week, as if His suffering on the cross wasn't enough and needs to be repeated weekly in order to obtain forgiveness of sins.

Funny thing - my dh and I visited a lutheran church a while back. They still use real wine during communion. I haven't been to a church that uses real wine in probably 15 years..I took that little shot glass and drank it down - and almost fell off the communion rail..I'm a recovering alcoholic and that wine was the first alcohol I've had in 10 years. No, I didn't fall off the wagon, but MAN did I have a headache..it was like I skipped over that pleasant drunk feeling and went right to the hangover - oy..
    Dawn
    Gracia's Mom
    Accepted referral on 2/18/02
    Home Forever 9/25/02

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
    2 Timothy 4:7

technoidiot
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can someone explain the tongues thing to me? I am somewhat like the other skeptic here, I have not personally experienced it, and I guess I don't fully understand it. Is it that the Holy Spirit overcomes you and makes you speak in a different language? Can anyone understand what you're saying? Do you know what you're saying? Why wouldn't God speak to me in a manner that I would understand? That is my understanding of it and it makes no sense to me, however, if it works for someone else, then that's great for you.

I belong to a Lutheran church, we have communion weekly. I do not feel that it is crucifying Christ over & over again. It is not about death, it is about life. It is about being cleansed of your sins, you are being reminded of his sacrifice, but I personally see nothing wrong with that. That's my thought.
    Our church pushes the envelope in keeping everyone happy, we walk up to the altar and kneel to receive communion, before you get to the alter, you have 3 choices, you can take an empty cup to be filled w/ wine at the alter, you can take a prefilled cup filled with grape juice, or you can take no cup and receive the "common cup" from a large challis at the alter.
    waiting to be parents someday somehow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast