FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Baby falling asleep...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Sue1976
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Baby falling asleep...

After one breast my baby falls asleep and its difficult to wake her. I undress her a little, tickle her feet and she'll wake for a few minutes then fall alseep again. I get worried that she's not getting enough, but she's pooping and peeing enough. Do you think she takes what she needs within ten minutes on one breast and just a few on the next? Will this affect my supply?
    ~EDD 11/25/05~

2. Advertisement

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    How old is she? The answer to this question will help us determine how best to answer you.
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

pattycakemom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    Also how long is she nursing on that breast, and how long is she going between feeds.
    Some babies only eat off one side per feed. Oviously if she needs to be fed again a half hour later, then it is best to try to get her to eat off both.
    K and R

7 years IF

Life is not what we expect or want...Life is about what is. How we respond to what IS makes the difference.
    two miracles:

Sassafrass
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd love to see more input on this too. My son is 10 days old and falls asleep after maybe 20 minutes on one side and there is not a chance in the world of waking him. Every once in a while he'll want to eat a few minutes later, but for the most part he seems satisfied. A couple times I tried to detach him and put him on the other side but he got really mad then fell asleep before doing anything, so I succeded only in cutting his 20 minutes short

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My baby was only taking one side in those early weeks & would feed for 15mins. She was gaining weight & had plenty of wet nappies so I didn't worry.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

Sue1976
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My baby's 3weeks old. She feeds on one for about 10-15 minutes, then may nurse on the next for only a few minutes. I guess you guys are right, she's satisfied with the time. Her poops and pees are good.
    ~EDD 11/25/05~

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My babies were both one-sided nursers... my first I tried to feed him two as per LC and only ended up with an overfilled gassy tummy and green poop from too much foremilk...I soon switched to one side. With #2 I started out that way much to the chagrin of the nurses at the hospital. The LC though understood and since I was "experienced" let me go my own way...

Sounds like you're doing great!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

Blues
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    One sided nursing is fine and often even thought better. Likely your little one is doing wonderfully.

I have twins and if I were blessed with another babe I would be nursing one side with him/her.... both my sister and my BF have singletons and are one sided nursers as well.
    When you cannot stand, He will bear you in his arms. Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow.
    Our Father will either sheild you from suffering, or He will give you strength to bear it.
    ~St. Francis de Sales
    Blues-proud twin Momma

Sue1976
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've noticed that she spits up more when she feeds on both, and gets cranky, probably gas like you said. She goes to the doctor in a week, so if she's gaining good I guess one is good for her.

Thanks for the advise.
    ~EDD 11/25/05~