FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How to stay awake????

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Sassafrass
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

How to stay awake????

DS is doing great with keeping to a regular, though clustered schedule at night. I suspect one of the contributing factors to the clustering though is that he is not getting enough because I fall asleep. The only way I know for sure I'd stay awake at night is to be standing up, but I'm just not that good at bf'ing yet! The other night I nodded off and woke up with a jolt and hit my head... only to realise that DS had come detached. How do you stay awake in the wee hours?

2. Advertisement

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I never tried!! I would sit up in bed, propped up, or nurse in the side-lying position, so that I could snooze while nursing.
    How old is ds? Usually they'll stay latched on as long as they're actively nursing, and if they come off the breast it usually means that their tummy is full.
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep with mine with my feet propped up and the boppy lending support to my tired arms... I would awaken to find the baby close to my nipple, but detached and Lord knows how long we'd been that way! Dh had this happen too when rocking them. I wouldn't co-sleep as my breasts are too big and I was afraid he'd smother, so I always chose the rocking chair and ottoman... those were comfy nights.
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I fell alseep many times~something I never thought I woudl do! Sometimes he would nurse happilly but more often than not, I would wake up bcs he woudl cry or something adn I would realize that I fire-hosed him in the face with breastmilk.

Wish I had advice for you~just know that the time beween those night feedings will eventually get longer and longer...
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

pepper
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I often fell asleep nursing. I planned for it to happen and just laid down to begin with. The easiest way is to lay on one side and if you need to switch boobs hold him close and roll over.

cro
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-momto3angels
    I would wake up bcs he woudl cry or something adn I would realize that I fire-hosed him in the face with breastmilk.
    BTDT!
    ITA w/ the side-lying method. How else do you stay awake during the day?! If he's eating well during the day, I'm sure he's doing fine at night too. When he's full, he'll pop off and (hopefully) go to sleep.
    babywearing, breastfeeding, homeschooling mama to:
    M ~ born in Russia August 31, 2002 ~ home August 5, 2004
    J ~ natural miracle ~ born March 20, 2005
    E ~ another natural miracle ~ born December 8, 2008

smileygirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I remember with my twins when I'd nurse them in my recliner in the middle of the night and fall asleep while nursing! I'd wake up later, my boob totally exposed with a snoozing baby in my arms!! Who knew how long we'd been sitting there like that!
    Lindsay
    & ~ 02/03
    ~ 01/06
    ~ 12/08
    ~ 12/11

Sassafrass
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would realize that I fire-hosed him in the face with breastmilk.
    OMG, April, that's too funny a description!

DS is a week old yesterday. I'm not really comfortable with the laying down position for the same reason Amy gave, I think that's just too much boob coming at his little face, especially if I'm prone to falling asleep.

At least I know waking up to a draft and a partially full baby is normal