FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Anyone who know, pls reply, Surgery MESS!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    KT*
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone who know, pls reply, Surgery MESS!

Hi ladies, I read this bb often but only post when it's something I know about but now I really need some advice as my doctors have no clue what to do with my situation.

I had a mastitis that progressed to a HUGE abcess and had to have surgery two days ago to clean it out. The incisions are open and I have to pack it every day with new dressing(yuck, pain, etc). That wouldn't be a real problem to breastfeed except that while in surgery, the doc could not reach all of the abscess so she made the second incision at the edge of my arreola(she said to help hide the scar). Now this wound is open, the edge of a dressing sticking out, and of course I can't let a babies mouth anywhere near it! It literally looks as if my nipple is hanging off.

I knew I had to keep pumping if I still wanted to bf so I have been placing an opsite(transparent adhesive dressing)over the hole at the nipple so the pump doesn't pull from the incision and although very pain ful, it worked.

Here's the problem, last nt was my first packing change and my husband did it(we're both RN's) but I felt a tearing sensation during the packing and this morning, milk is coming out of the nipple wound, ugggg. I think he tore into my milk ducts.

My milk supply is way down of course b/c I just cant pump every 4hr, it's too traumatic to the wound, and me!

Here's my question, if anyone might know the answer, as my docs don't, these wounds have to heal from the inside out, that's the reason for the packing. Every day you pull it out and dead tissue comes with it leaving the inside healthy to fill in the wound, but now with the milk leaking out, I don't think it will ever close??? there will be no sutures so what's gonna keep it from coming out. And even if they did suture it, it would probably just get the whole area engorged and possibly abcess again.

Has anyone ever heard of one breast stopping lactating while the other still gives milk? I thought if I slow the pumping I can stop the milk formation so I can heal? But another issue is that I take dom to keep up my supply and that will go to the bad breast too.

Oh what a mess! Please anyone who know/has heard of anything similar, please help. I wanted to bf at least a year, not just 6m.

Thanks in advance for any replies, take care all.
    KT
    Kerry(KT)
    Mom to Kyle 16yo
    Dustin 13yo
    Shaeley 3yo(FET #1 Shaeley born 4/18/02)
    IVF/TESE/ICSI/FET
    Cavan 5/24/05(FET#2 (9 "arrested" 5d embies transferred, advised to discard them all, "discarded" them in my uterus,one took!!)

2. Advertisement

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was told by my ped that they had a mother who breastfed twins with just one functioning breast. The milk leaking is actually not bad. It has great antibiotic properties and can help heal the wound. Can you nurse, rather than pump on the good breast? I hope you heal quickly, Hugs, Marieke
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

KT*
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marieke, thanks for your reply, yes I am nursing on the good breast. That's a very good point about the leaking milk, I never thought of the antibiotic properties in it, I was just thinking it was bad because of all the sugar in it would be a breeding ground for the bacteria, but I guess the two should cancel eachother out, I hope. Wow, bf twins with only one breast! What a woman. Thanks again, I feel better already just hearing something positive about it. Take care
    Kerry
    Kerry(KT)
    Mom to Kyle 16yo
    Dustin 13yo
    IVF/TESE/ICSI/FET
    Cavan 5/24/05(FET#2 (9 "arrested" 5d embies transferred, advised to discard them all, "discarded" them in my uterus,one took!!)

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Kerry -- wow... BIG BIG BIG BIG hugs to you girl!!!!! You are amazing!!!! I don't even think the two cancel out... the antibodies there are so powerful and stable that little bit of sugar content is nothing to even think about...

You should take your ? to the www.askdrsears.com website... a year or so ago one of our girls did and the doctors there answered her directly!!! I bet if you can find the ? place where you can email (or whatever) a ? in they'd definitely answer you!!!

BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMGosh...I had mastitis early on with my baby and it was terrible...I can only just being to imagine what you've been through and are going through!!! If I lived nearby I'd be bringing you five-course dinners and cleaning your house!!!! We all would!!!!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    you poor thing!!!
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    OMGosh, I'm so sorry, that sounds so painful.

Yes, you can feed on just the one side. I have a friend that did.

I hope the healing goes fast and well.
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

Scout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to say how sorry I am for you. That sounds soooo painful!! Amazing that you were trying to pump through the pain!!

I also think that you would be fine nursing on just one side (albeit a little lopsided...). Your one breast would make more milk. Also, after you're healed you may be able to get production going again. But please take care of yourself first!!! OUCH!!!

Major kudos to you for wanting to continue to nurse during this time. Good for you!!

-Scout
    IVF #2 success!! dd,5 yrs old
    IVF #3 perfection again!! ds, Big 2 years old!

KT*
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, thank you all for responding, I feel much better just having your support. My DH of course thinks I'm crazy to want to continue bf'ing. But this is my last child, and only the 2nd one I've bf and I just think the bonding of bf is so special I'm not ready to give it up and not ever do it again. I have an appt mon am with the surgeon and I feel she is going to tell me to stop bf'ing so I have to get my resolve up to stand my ground. It's very good to read that one sided nursing can be done, and that the content of the milk is probably good and may help heal my wound. I do wonder however, if I do keep pumping, once the incision closes, what becomes of the ducts that are severed and leaking now? Will I get engorged? Will those ducts just dry up? I guess I'll have to wait and see. Amy, I'm defininately going to try and ask a question of the doctor on that site. Again, thank you all for your sympathy, support and info, you girls are the best!
    Take care
    KT
    Kerry(KT)
    Mom to Kyle 16yo
    Dustin 13yo
    IVF/TESE/ICSI/FET

pattycakemom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I am so sorry you are going through this! And kudos for you on continuing bfing! I know so many women have quit for much less! I know how you feel though, I wouldnt be able to stop either. I wish i had some medical advise for you but I really dont know. Could you call a lc and see if she knows to maybe put your mind to rest before the appointment? As far as standing up to your Dr- you go girl! You could continue on one breast if you had to, and be fine! So no need to quit! (((BIG HUGS))))
    K and R

7 years IF

Life is not what we expect or want...Life is about what is. How we respond to what IS makes the difference.
    two miracles: