FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Etiquette help please

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Nancy G
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Etiquette help please

Hello Ladies!

I frequent the GP board, this is my first time here. I have a question and I was looking for some honest answers.

I teach Parent/Child classes at a gymnastics facilty (love my job!!!). Starting in January I will be teaching a babies class that begins at age 4 months. I realize many moms in my class may be breastfeeding. Our gym is very wide open, no private areas whatsoever, except the bathroom, but that is an unacceptable place to feed a baby, IMO.

If during the class (45 minutes long) one of my moms needs to feed her child, how do I make her feel comfortable? She is more than welcome to do it anywhere she wants in the gym, but there is very little privacy or even chairs (they are in the lobby). I was thinking I could stand up and angle one of our rainbow mats near a wall and she could have a little "cubby" for privacy? She could also sit on one of our softer mats in the gym? Because the babies are so young, there will not be a lot of action in the gym (no kids running, bumping in her).

How can I accomodate without insulting or making her feel awkward? The parent/child gym experience is so precious and sweet, I do not want to taint the nurturing envirnoment I work so hard to maintain.

Can you tell I did not breastfeed?? LOL I have so many questions and want to be sensitive.

Thank you for your help!
    Nancy G

DD 8 years old
    DS 5 years old

2. Advertisement

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    How nice of you to accomodate them!!! I think a little cubby would be awesome. I was recently at a childrens museum and they had a small 2 piece wall in the corner with a chair behind it.

At the first class, you could let them know it's available for them. I'm sure they'd appreciate it. I would!
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

cro
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are so sweet to consider the needs of all your moms!!! I wish more of the world were like you!

I like your idea of the nursing cubby for the moms who need more privacy. Personally, I'd probably just plop myself on a mat or against a wall and feed my baby. I guess the best accomodations would depend on your moms. Discuss it before the session starts, so that when the time comes, they'll know where to go and can slip away comfortably and quietly. You can also ask them what would be most comfortable for them: Do they need privacy? Could you bring in a chair from the lobby? Is it ok to bf right there in the midst of the activity?

You're already doing a great job w/ this. I wish more people were so considerate!
    babywearing, breastfeeding, homeschooling mama to:
    M ~ born in Russia August 31, 2002 ~ home August 5, 2004
    J ~ natural miracle ~ born March 20, 2005
    E ~ another natural miracle ~ born December 8, 2008

Scout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's so understanding of you to even think of it. I really think the best thing that you could do would just be to mention in the first class that of course they are welcome to nurse wherever they want to, and also to let you know if they need anything else to make them more comfortable. I think most moms are pretty comfortable physically if they know other people are okay with it. I've nursed just about anywhere other people would feed their babies, and can do so on the floor, etc.

Thanks!! -Scout
    IVF #2 success!! dd,5 yrs old
    IVF #3 perfection again!! ds, Big 2 years old!

Blues
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You are really sweet and sensative

However, I personally wouldnt do anything. Honestly if I was feeding and someone suggested a lounge or a more private place even if the intent would be "if I wanted to use it" I likely would have taken it as you dont want me to nurse in front of the group. I have felt that way even in the mall being told about a nursing lounge or a nice dressing room. The intent was likely good but it could be mistaken as unwelcoming. I know that your intent isnt unwelcoming at all

Maybe a note in the begining paperwork? Breastfeeding is welcome anytime and anwhere during class, However a cozy nursing spot is avalible if prefered.??? I dont really know how to word it but that is basically what I would do.

If a mom is uncomfortable I believe she will find her own spot or would even be to shy to attend class.

I personally hate when people will not look at me or talk to me when I would breastfeed. Look me in the eye and smile
    When you cannot stand, He will bear you in his arms. Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow.
    Our Father will either sheild you from suffering, or He will give you strength to bear it.
    ~St. Francis de Sales
    Blues-proud twin Momma

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think a general announcement that BF is welcome wherever the mom feels comfortable. I would encourage them to BF right there on the mat. But also offer that if they want someplace more private they just need to ask and you'll provide.

kuddos to you for being so thoughtful!!
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

Cassie R.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with the others that it is very sensitive of you to even be thinking of this. Personally, as a bf'ing mom, I doubt that I would need to nurse during the class -- it is ony 45 minutes and I would plan to feed the baby before class so as not to be interrupted. But if I did need to nurse, I probably wouldn't think much of it, given that I was in a mommy and me class with a bunch of other new moms. I like the "cubby" idea and would mention at the first class that if anyone needs to take a break or have a little private time with their baby, there is a space available for them.
    Cassie
    -- 7; -- 4

'99