FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Is he getting enough?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    erinmartin
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Is he getting enough?

Hi, I have a 2 week old who was in the NICU for the first 9 days of his life. He is home now and doing great but I was a little behind in the milk development and they supplemented while he was in the hospital. Now that he is home, I supplemented a bit for the first few days but then I just let him feed when needed. My problem is I am getting all this mixed advice. The pediatrician says to let him suck for only 20 minutes on each side. Other people tell me to let him such as long as he wants to help milk supply.

Then my other problem is I am not sure if he is getting enough. He diapers are wet, but not as wet as when I was supplementing and some days he seems to want to more after each feeding. What should I do? Should I still supplement? - dh is totally against it and I have to fight him for it. But, I don't want to starve the little guy!
    me-Erin dh-Brian ds-Kai ~ 11/8/05
    TTC #1 since 6/02 - IVF #2 - BFP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join me on the Health & Wellness Board - Weight Loss Goal - 35lbs. I am nursing Mom - still need to eat, but need to change my diet and start an exercise routine! Weight Loss in 2006: 4lbs (so far)

2. Advertisement

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I supplemented a LITTLE bit in the hospital and when we first came home, only because I was worried that he wasn't getting enough. If he was crying and crying, I didn't know what to do, so we'd whip out one of those 2 oz bottles. Eventually, you won't need to supplement because your supply will be up and your milk will come in faster.

I wanted to breastfeed exclusively because I was afraid if I kept supplementing, he would eventually prefer the formula or I wouldn't have any milk left. My dh would suggest a bottle and I'd get very defensive about it. I'm rambling on, but what I'm trying to say is... don't worry if you feel like he needs a supplement once in while, as long as you breastfeed first. Eventually, you won't need to do it at all.

Are you pumping?? That will really help and you'll have some BM to give him if he needs a little extra. I wasn't good about this and wish I had pumped more in the beginning.

Congrats on your little one, glad to see you're home from the hospital and all is well!
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

Scout
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had some supply issues when I started with my little guy. I had really great lactations consultants helping me work through it. Their advice was to nurse for 15 minutes a side, and then pump for 10 minutes a side afterwards. Then, offer my ds the extra if he wanted it. If not, save it for later. This works two ways, one you will increase your supply, and then also have some addtional milk for them to drink. They said no formula! Also, they said that if you do it for 4 days, you should really have a change. It's grueling, but so worth it! Also, if you skip a few pumping sessions it's okay.

Good luck!! It worked for me!!

-Scout
    IVF #2 success!! dd,5 yrs old
    IVF #3 perfection again!! ds, Big 2 years old!

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by erinmartin
    The pediatrician says to let him suck for only 20 minutes on each side. Other people tell me to let him such as long as he wants to help milk supply.

Then my other problem is I am not sure if he is getting enough.
    First -- 2/3 weeks is time for a growth spurt... your baby will want to nurse more often and for longer periods of time -- a natural occurrence... I suggest following his lead...who better able to tell you if he's hungry?

As far as your ped... hmmm.... that used to be the popular concensus, but has pretty much been overrulled by findings now that will tell you to let him nurse as long as his wants... it will help your milk supply AND he will get more of the fatty/nutrient dense hindmilk...never a bad thing!!!! Usually they say, with a newborn, to do a min. of 20 min on one side to be sure the hindmilk is gotten... maybe this is what your ped meant? A min not a max????

As far as if he's getting enough, keep a daily chart of the pee pee diapers and poopy diapers... I believe that 6 to 8 wet a day and at least 2 poopy a day means he's getting enough.

And remember -- a baby is ALWAYS more efficient than a pump... I wouldn't limit him and then pump... if anything, feed him until he falls off completely satiated and satisfied and THEN pump... if he wants to comfort nurse, let him... it's good for him and good for you AND good for your milk supply!

Read through some other posts here with ?s regarding their newborns and you'll find a lot more info!!!!

Good luck!!!!!!!!!! And please keep coming here for advice -- it's a great bunch of ladies with a wealth of first-hand knowledge!!!!!!!!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

erinmartin
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice. Thanks for all you time. I really appreciate all the knowledge!
    me-Erin dh-Brian ds-Kai ~ 11/8/05
    TTC #1 since 6/02 - IVF #2 - BFP
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Join me on the Health & Wellness Board - Weight Loss Goal - 35lbs. I am nursing Mom - still need to eat, but need to change my diet and start an exercise routine! Weight Loss in 2006: 4lbs (so far)

archie2
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Erin,

This is Kim (Archie 2). I remember you from the IVF board and I wanted to congratulate you on your new addition. Our twin girls were also born on 11/8/05 via c-section. Its good to see successes.

I've been frustrated by conflicting advice since we started breastfeeding. Every lactation consultant and my ped. had their own method. I've had to start supplementing with bottles of bm because I can't keep up with them.

Congrats again.

Kim (Archie 2)

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi Erin!! Glad to see you here. I'm with Amy, just follow his lead. I have never limited feeds & Jacinta used to feed for 30 - 45mins a side. As long as there are wet nappies & weight gain I wouldn't worry.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

grainne
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember you too and want to say a huge congrats to you and DH. I would say that its best to let baby lead and not limit baby to go pump. You'd go mad trying to listen to all the different advice. Some great advice I got about how to tell if your baby is full, is that at the beginning of a feed, his hands are up near his face, when he is full they will fall down by his side and be limp. It helped me alot.

Enjoy every precious minute.

Grainne
    Me 46, TCC # 1 for 7 years.
    1st DE IVF 10/01/04 BFP,
    1st Beta 10/13/04 278, 2nd Beta 10/15/04 947