FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Could pumping be depleating my supply?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Shellg76
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Could pumping be depleating my supply?

Okay guys... a few more questions here...

My little man turned 3 weeks Friday. that's right around this feeding frenzy started. This is really hard, I feel like I'm ready to throw in the towel, but something is telling me not to The lactation consultant said that this growth spurt could last longer than a few days, a week even, is it true?

My Dh doesn't seem to understand either, but I think my little guy might be comfort nursing. I am beginning to tell the difference, but I think he's learned that if he cries, Mama will come, and I think because we did IVF and had a tough time getting pg, that DH doesn't like to see the baby upset. Neither to I but, what do I do? Do I let him paci suck? I hear mixed reviews from everyone. again!

Now, I started pumping Thursday... could pumping be depleating my supply? Today I don't feel the "let down" as much, and it's just different. I've been getting 2 oz to start (one time I got 2.5 and another 4 oz). What do you think? I was thinking of trying a day of no pumping... can't tell if this will help.

Also, do you have any tips on teaching the baby to take the bottle? I am having DH use EBM, but he has a hard time learning the "suck".

I'm going to try going to a new mom support group tomorrow, but really, today, I was about to give up. I just dont feel like he's satisfied?

What do I do?

Thanks again for all your help... I so appreciate it...

Ps, everyone's advice is different. Who do you listen to?
    Michelle

Bryce 10/28/2005

Twins:

Liam Archer 12/30/08 12:53pm
    Lillianna Grace 12/30/08 1:11pm

2. Advertisement

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a growth spurt and yes they only last a few days... a few loooooong days and nights. Nurse your baby on demand and your body will only then know the amount of milk needed to feed him... nurse any less and your body will think the demand is not there and won't make the supply. Also, babies that young cannot and do not manipulate... they only let needs be known, so answer those cries to your hearts content knowing how well you are NURTURING your baby! This time in our lives is such a small bit relatively speaking... it goes by so fast! I've heard the saying that you'll never regret holding your baby too much...you never hear someone say they wished they hadn't held their baby so much!

As far as comfort nursing, this too will stimulate milk production, so even though it may seem like your 'being used' (LOL), it's actually mother nature at work again keeping symmetry between your baby and your body's milk. Besides...where do you think they got the structural design for a pacifier anyway? Pacifying is a natural event with many benefits to mommy and baby -- it forces you to slow down during a time when your body still needs to heal even though your mind might say GO! The baby's constant need for you to be still and nurture him also gives you the benefit of some down time and healing time.

As far as pumping, I can't answer those questions, but there are many here who can and will... and don't forget...the next growth spurt is at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months... anytime you hear yourself think or say the words "I feel like I don't have enough milk...he's hungry all the time" THINK GROWTH SPURT...condition yourself to think this way and you won't get as worried... good luck!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wanted to add that in no time you'll be asking us if he's getting enough -- not because he's nursing all the time, but because he power nurses in a 5 minute session every three hours -- how can this be enough? you'll think!!!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

AmyA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    At his age I would keep nursing on demand. Even if you think he's comfort nursing that's ok, because he will build your supply. Nursing is way better than pumping for that. If he's having a growth spurt nursing him all the time will only help. It's necessary to get thru a growth spurt.
    Amy

pattycakemom
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Mellow
    I agree with the other ladies. Also, the reason you feel like you dont have enough milk is b/c your body is regulating your milk supply. It is completely normal at the time you are at. So th epumping isnt depleting your supply. What you are pumping seems to be a normal amount, also. ((HUGS))
    K and R

7 years IF

Life is not what we expect or want...Life is about what is. How we respond to what IS makes the difference.
    two miracles: