FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
When did nursing become second nature?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    kathyinny
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

When did nursing become second nature?

I am not very good at this. I need the "Brestfriend" nursing pillow, my shirt practically comes off and I feel like a total spaz. My little boy is 5.5 weeks. I wouldn't dare try nursing him in public!

2. Advertisement

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I got confident to nurse in public (NIP) when Jonathan was about 5 months old. LOL As far as second nature... after teh 6 week growth spurt, it calmed down a lot... at around 3 months when the nursing sessions only lasted 10 minutes, yep, I'd say second nature would describe it. It'll happen before you know it!!!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

katrack
    has no status.
    Decorating/Gardening/Mormon Boards
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Busy
    I'm thinking it took about 2 months for me to get really comfortable with nursing.
    dd (10), dd & dd (12), ds (22), dd (24) + dgs (5 & 2), ds (27)

Our words reveal our refinements; they tell the discerning listener of the company we have kept; they are the hallmarks of education and culture. - Dale Carnegie

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would say about 2 1/2 to 3 months. I just kind of realized that it's enjoyable and easier. They get so much better at it, holding their head up, you know what they want, they nurse faster... it just takes those extra weeks of "practice" to know what you're doing.

I do not NIP. I would but I'm too big, I think. We bought a minivan, so I can go in the backseat with the shades up and no one can see me. That made me feel like I could go out with him. Before that, I was always nervous cause his eating wasn't regular.
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

RobinL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think with the first one it takes longer, a few months maybe. I think it's up to the baby more than you. At some point, they just seem to get it and latch on right w/o doing the whole nipple sandwich thing. I was big into nip, but now that Sophie is over a year and not nursing as often, I don't do it as much as before. It's still early for you. I think I heard that it takes 10wks to really catch on.
    Robin
    Duncan (surviving twin)--15yrs.
    Chloe Rose (angel twin)
    Sophie--11yrs

Blue
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    It does get easier ... we promise. And faster and you can leave most of your clothing on too!

I started wearing tank tops with a zippy now in the winter so that when I nurse in public the undone zuppy covers the side of my breast and the tank is easy to lift to get boobie ready.

It will become second nature ... we promise!

Christa

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It does get easier. At first Carlee would not latch on correctly. I think most of it was because I just could NOT get the hang of holding her in the right position. I always did the football hold and as soon as i changed to the cradle hold it was SOOOOOOOO much easier! Now it is just so normal and natural and I dont even think about it. Plus she dont eat as much so you dont feel as much like a human pacifier. I dont NIP because I dont feel comfortable. I see absolutly NOTHING wrong with it and think it would be much easier for me but i am so self concious. I pump or suplement when we are out. EXCEPT when we are traveling I do nurse in the van when we pull over. I saw this lady one time at a stop light nursing her baby in the passenger seat!! Dh said, "call the police,, that is ILLEGAL!" Like i said, I do nurse her when we are traveling cause i can sit in the van when we stop. Carlee gets about 98 percent breast milk. YAHOOOO!!!!! I couldnt breast feed my first baby. Now that I have went on and on about nothing relevant to your post I will shut up. he he
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05

teresab
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think I was comftorable with Jordan at 2 months but with the others around 6 weeks. It will get easier and people will not even know what you are doing!

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have to say I think it got easier around 2-3 months. Prior to that, I did NIP, but I wasn't good at it...I probably flashed more people than I care to count!

As Joey's head got stronger (and bigger) it became easier, too. You'll both be pros before you know it.
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    this is my second baby, so I would have to say BF was second nature from day 1. but with Ethan it took about 2 months before I was comfortable.

hang in there, it will get easier.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast