FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Green Poop Solved -- Suggestion for anyone facing chronic diarrhea in their baby

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    marya
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Green Poop Solved -- Suggestion for anyone facing chronic diarrhea in their baby

Ok, I believe we have solved the chronic green poop/diarrhea issue. I thought I'd pass this along so others don't go through the grief I have these past 3 weeks.

It turns out (well, not 100%, but 99%) that it is *not* a dairy intollerance or other food allergy, but rather a more severe case of hindmilk/foremilk imbalance. Having nursed two DDs before I knew of this issue, but had never really seen it show up the way it did in my DS. What happened (piecing this back together in my mind it makes total sense) was that I got mastitis and started nursing DS more frequently to help clear it up. I also was making sure to get both sides so that I wouldn't get too engourged. Well this caused him to get more foremilk, which digests quickly and exposed him to too much lactose, which gave him actual diarrhea (not just normal green baby poop) and gas and fussiness (all signs of a dairy intollerance). It also became a vicious cycle because foremilk gets digested more quickly, which meant he wanted to eat more often, but he only wanted to eat a little bit (not triggering the hindmilk).

In the past I was able to straighten this out with my girls by just making sure they fed on one side per feeding. Because DS had gotten into a more extreme case of this and seems to be more sensitive to the lactose, I needed to alter his feedings more substantially. I needed to feed him only on one side for 2 feedings in a row and then swtich sides (or at least for 3 hours, if he was eating frequently). Doing this for 36 hours turned his poop right back to his normal color.

So, my advice to anyone thinking their baby has diarrhea, is to not start an elimination diet (which is really hard and can take several weeks to show results, and could take several months if you don't hit the right allergen the first time) until you first try altering the hindmilk/foremilk equation for 48 hours. I have gone through a ton of grief trying to figure out what was going on, and it looks like it was all unnecessary.

Some signs that upset stomach or diarrhea is a result of too much milk or a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance rather than a dairy allergy:

1) Baby is gaining weight rapidly
    2) You have a forcefull let down
    3) Your baby will often sputter or choke when first latched on
    4) S/he wants to feed frequently but not take a lot each feeding

Another clue for us was that he would randomly have a normal poop in the midst of the green ones. Also, though he has fussy times he was not colicky or inconsolable.

To solve this problem, try feeding only on one side per feeding, or only one side per couple of feedings/hours. You can also have your baby latch and once flow is triggered, unlatch and leak into a cloth for a minute or so. Or you can pump off some of the foremilk before latching your baby.

Any way, I thought I would pass this on, since it has been frustrating that a 48 hour period of altering my nursing habits could have solved the problem and instead I was put on a 2 week extreme elimination diet.
    Last edited by marya; 11-16-2005 at 02:21 PM.
    marya
    DX: Severe MF
    My avatar is the Sanskrit symbol "ohm" It has many interpretations, among my favorites is "the realization of the divinity within all man (or within oneself)."

2. Advertisement

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I really think my first ds had this and that is why he was fussy until I started back to work at which point I started pumping his day time feedings so his intake was more balanced.

I'm so glad you figured this out and I hate that you had to suffer thru the elimination diet needlessly.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'm so glad that you figured it out! How unfortunate that they didn't figure it out sooner!
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

Dublin
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting. Sometimes C has green runny poop but I only nurse on one side for each feeding. I'll have to watch things a little more closely to see exactly what's going on.

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My son has a green poop once in a while. But, he has been only feeding on one side for the last 2 weeks, so I wonder why they show up?
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Mary, this exact same thing happened to my very good friend with her first daughter when the baby was about 2 months old. She went to a lactation center and the exact remedy that you stated also worked for her. I guess this problem can be pretty common. Once she did the nursing on the same side for 2 sessions thing, the problem cleared right up too!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

latebloomer
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

marya, you are a life saver!

marya, thank you, thank you!
    I had been going nuts trying to figure out this issue. I breastfeed my 10 week old and followed the advice of DR. I switched breast during feeding etc. He had very explosive diarrhea and it was green and frothy everytime. My Dr. wasn't concerned because he was gaining so much weight.
    I was so concerned, come on, it can't be healthy to have such violent colon issues. I thought of switching to formula. Then I found your post! It was so on the mark, the 3 signs of foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. I immediately started feeding on one side and it solved the problem right away. I never thought I would be so happy to see yellow poop!! He doesn't poop everytime during feedings now and we are saving on diapers. I wish all lactation consultants and Dr's would give us a heads up on this matter.

Ruth
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    This exactly happened to DS when he was 5 weeks old. By 5 weeks, he weighed more than 12 lbs from his birth weight 7lbs14ozs. Sometime his stool was yellow, but after a while it turned to green.

latebloomer
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruth,
    Is it still green? my son weighed 6.13 at birth and weighed 13 lbs at 8 weeks.
    And at 5 weeks that is also when his poop turned green. Maybe our body changes somehow and produces more foremilk then. But, what i know is, that this solved it and he is actually just maintaining his weight and stretching out a little. Let us know if this helps. LISA

Ruth
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lisa,

If I remember correctly, my ds's stool became yellow around 7 weeks, but his weight continued hiking, but slowed down. By two month, he weighted 15lbs4ozs and by four months, his weight was 19lb9ozs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast