FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How long do you nurse at a time?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dublin
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

How long do you nurse at a time?

I'm really struggling with this. DS has been nursing for at least an hour at a time. Why so long???????? Last night he nursed for over an hour and then I ended up feeding him a bottle that had about 2 oz of pumped milk. Why is he eating so much? I feel as though I'm constantly chained to a chair and can do nothing else except nurse. I feel awful as my 3 year old is suffering because mom is feeding his brother. This has been going on for almost a week. I thought growth spurt but really does it take this long???????

Help???

2. Advertisement

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked it up, he is 4 weeks old. It can be very normal. Is he awake the whole time? Is he getting enough wet an poopy diapers? Have you tried using a sling for nursing? that way you can carry him around at the same time. What I used to do was sit on the floor with my back to the couch. That way I could play with my 3 year old and nurse at the same time.
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hate to say it, but it is very normal. Although, I'd cut out giving the bottle right afterwards. He shouldn't need it and when he is getting the bottle, it is telling your body to make less milk. And then he will need to nurse even longer to get more milk the next time.

Let your 3 year old watch TV. Or play with playdoh. Or do special things that he is only allowed to do while you are nursing the baby. It is a good way to teach your toddler patience too!! I know my two year old has had to learn it really quickly.

BUT....remember, you can break the latch, take care of your toddler and then start nursing again. My poor Kaden has had a lot of interrupted meals!!!
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

Blue
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Griffin used to nurse for 40-60 min for the first 8 weeks ... then he became a more efficient nurser and is quicker.

I also noticed that he was a lazy nurser ... would flake off to sleep here and there so that would also make it take longer. Make sure you do nto have a sleeper or he is not using you as a pacifier.

Good Luck

Christa

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    same thing here....nursing camryn used to take forever and a day.....but, she's gotten much more efficient as she got older, and can now drain a boob in about 7-10 minutes (plus, i have a quick let down).

it'll get better, i'm sure! in the mean time, i'd say stacey had some good advice about letting your toddler to special things while you nurse. and i agree that the bottle will only decrease your supply right now.

take care!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

eli
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My first would take that long to nurse too. It was so difficult! Her sessions would usually last an hour- occasionally an hour and 15 minutes. I felt lucky if we were done in 45 minutes. Then- anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours later, she would be ready to do it again. Add in the reflux and well... I was not a happy camper! But... the good news... as time went on, it got better and better and faster and faster. Some babies just take a long time. I had a lactation consultant because I really thought something was wrong. She decided dd was nursing just fine, but was slow... not a problem.... just slow. I hope things will soon get better for you. It's still early. Things improved at 6 weeks for me and then just kept improving until it was no longer a burden. When my 2nd child was born, he nursed in 10-15 minutes from the beginning. What a treat that was!
    Lynn

DD-9
    DS-7
    DS-born 4/25/10 (William Lukas)

Shellg76
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    HI Dublin. Little Bryce is doing the same thing. I was told by the lac. consultant at the hospital that some babies are just gentle nursers. They will get more used to it later on. And I agree, he may be using you as a pacifier. I just am dealing with it, hoping it will get better soon.
    Michelle

Bryce 10/28/2005

Twins:

Liam Archer 12/30/08 12:53pm
    Lillianna Grace 12/30/08 1:11pm

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My first used to take over an hour to nurse. Sorry you're having a hard time.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

shannij
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Landon is actually so fast that he chokes and seems to stop breathing for a second, making me paranoid. then he falls asleep leaving me wondering if he gets enough but he is gaining so he has too. This bf is not that easy is it
    I was glad to be reminded by your October post that it helps us loose weight - LOL I needed to remembe that for a little boost
    me 40 dh 39
    tubal dx - 3 ectopics, '98 ivf#1 BFN- exdh,
    IVF 2004 - 24PN embryos all frozen(out of whack hormones)
    FET#1 BFN '04 - tube removed
    FET #2 BFP 10/06/05 Landon Scott
    FET#3 10/06 BFN
    FET#4 BFP 10/07/07 Harrison William
    FET#5 BFP 09/28/09 Brennan Rhys
    final FET#6 - will transfer 2 day 6 blasts (thawed and refrozen '09) Oct 2010 -

teresab
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    We have had very long nursing sessoins too. This could be a growth spurt too! NOw we are about 30mins total max and that is both sides! (((HUGS))

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast