FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Easing into NIP (nursing in public) some suggestions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Easing into NIP (nursing in public) some suggestions

Anyone else have any ideas when they started and were a bit nervous to NIP? I thought maybe a thread like this would help the newbies out a bit.

NIP doesn't bother me anymore, but here's where I started out...

1) Babies R Us -- this became our standard outing stop because of their nursing mother's room...

2) Car -- I would nurse here before going into a store or if we were at a restaurant, I would hop out to the car for a quick nursing session and then come back in.

3) Dressing Rooms -- at any store...even Walmart and Kmart. Find the handicapped rooms with extra space so you can take the stroller or cart in with you and rest your tired arm on it while nursing. (Your arms will get stronger and eventually you won't have to do this)

4) Mall -- (a) The nicer department stores sometimes have a sitting area just before entering their restrooms. They also have changing rooms too. (b) Find a bench in a less-traffic part of the mall. Put your stroller in front of you and your diaper bag on the side you need to rest your arm with...no one will even look at you believe it or not, it's like you're invisible. (c) O/T I once saw a young mom (~ 23 yrs old) nursing her twins at the food court...tandemly! I had to do a double take and darnit if no one was noticing...just me...but I was nursing too and noticed those things...she was amazing!!!!!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

2. Advertisement

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The car worked best for me. With Campbell I sat in the back seat of the minivan, the windows are tinted so I felt really screened. With the twins, we had to remove one of the back seats, so I had to do it in the front seat. By that time I didn't really even care if anyone spotted me!
    I was a chicken and never did it anywhere that was really "public", only friends' houses and my parents' house.
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    I always liked to go to the mall. If there wasn't a mother's room available, you could always use a dressing room in one of the department stores.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I nursed in my neighborhood playground (but as many of you may recall, there were other women doing the same and much less discreetly)

other places: dressing rooms, ladies rooms, parked car, doctors office waiting room.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

cro
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Biggest piece of advice - don't look at anyone else! Focus on your baby, after all, that's what matters. Who cares what anyone else thinks!

Shortly after J was born, my outings weren't as luxurious as the mall. No, they consisted primarily of the grocery store and WalMart. I also had a toddler w/ me, so the easiest way for me to shop was to put M in the cart and carry J in a sling. I could nurse J in the sling and he was so covered up that nobody saw anything. Plus, I didn't have to take a break from shopping to feed him.
    babywearing, breastfeeding, homeschooling mama to:
    M ~ born in Russia August 31, 2002 ~ home August 5, 2004
    J ~ natural miracle ~ born March 20, 2005
    E ~ another natural miracle ~ born December 8, 2008

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Library storytime. Lots of younger sibs being fed. Tandem nursed the twins there. We had three carseats in a row in our VW bus. I would sit in Kate's booster, and nurse first one and then the other twin. Lots of restaurants.
    Practice in front of a mirror and you'll see that much rarely shows.
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

Sayrah
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Cool
    (Sorry for barging, I weaned roughly 1 1/2 years ago )

I was never shy about NIP, but here's what I'd do....
    -I always wore a button-down shirt with a tank top or camisole underneath; easier to unbutton and lift up the camisole without exposing yourself
    -I always had a recieving blanket with me and would drape it over DD's head and my shoulder.
    -Relax! If you act nonchalant, no one will even notice most of the time. Try to cultivate an attitude of entitlement; you're entitled to feed your baby without running to hide to do it.
    -Most retail places will let you use the dressing rooms to nurse in if you just ask; Victorias Secret is a GREAT place if you need privacy and their dressing rooms are comfy! (I refused to use the bathroom to feed my baby, too stinky!)
    -practice; I became super fast and could pop DD on there so quick no one would even know what I was doing.

Enjoy your wee nurslings!
    Sara
    Mama to Maddie 03/27/03
    Mama to Charlotte 12/29/06

Blue
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    I have become mroe comfortable within the last couple of weeks NIP. I used to go to the nursing rooms or change roomsfor my comfort .. however I have now become comfortable nursing ANYWHERE! Griffin hates being covered up with the nursing shields so we skip those all together. It was easier when he was old enough to find my nipple himself rather them me having to hold it to his mouth. When we go to restuarants I request a booth so that I can nurse with a little more privacy. I also resort to the car all the time or when I have a ton of running around to do.

I find it gross to nurse in a bathroom even if there is a designated nursing area. Would you want to eat with the background noise of toilets flushing, bowel movements and bathroom talk? I wouldn't!

Christa

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have always nursed anywhere but it helps that it is regularly seen and accepted. Personally I was never uncomfortable with NIP but if you were I think starting in places where there are lots of other parents can be easier.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET