FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Pumping Question, new here

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    whisper
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Pumping Question, new here

Hi everyone! It is my first time visiting this board and I feel thankful that I found it! I just had my second son five days ago. I was nursing him in the hospital with supplements. Things were fine and I was using a nipple shield as it was hard to latch...those things are great by the way!

I have decided that I am just going to pump all of my milk. The reason I have decided on this is because I was feeding him and then he still wanted more, so it was like this: breast, bottle, more bottle, then breast again. So, I decided that if he was going to have a bottle anyway, I might as well just express my milk and give him one bottle. Besides, I like knowing how much he is getting.

So, now to my question...

I am pumping after every feed. Today everytime I pumped I got 4 ounces. Will that just keep increasing? Or do you think that is the peak I will pump? If it the peak, how can I increase? I would love to be able to pump 8 ounces a pumping session...any thoughts or advice would so greatly be appreciated.

Thanks so much...gotta go pump!!

2. Advertisement

ClaireNola
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know everyone is different. I have only once or twice gotten as much as 8 oz in one pumping session. I consider myself lucky to get 4!! That's really a lot if it's after baby has already eaten.

Good luck to you!!

p.s. I pumped exclusively for dd #1 from 3 months of age until 8mo. I did 6 or 7 pumping sessions a day, though. Phew! Hard work, but worth it of course. Always had enough to feed her and plenty in the freezer too.

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    First off, congrats on your baby!!!

Second, you really need to join the yahoo group called pump moms. They are a group of wonderful ladies who know all there is to know about pumping. A lot of them EP (exclusively pump).

I don't know much about pumping full time. My advice is, pump every time the baby gets a bottle, if not more often. Even during the night, as that is when your production is the highest. Pump 5 minutes after you no longer have milk coming out, as you might get another let down.

You can always increase your supply by eating oatmeal. Taking supplements such as fenugreek. Drinking mothers milk tea. Or even taking a prescription called Domperidone. Many doctors will not prescribe it, but you can order it online from a New Zealand pharamacy. If you need details just ask!

Now, my personal opinion!!! Not that you asked for it. I think 5 days old is rather early in the game and you may end up with a boobie baby if you just give it some time. My first ds preferred the bottle at first and we'd give him one a day (not every day) during the witching hour (like around 9:00 PM). Then all of a sudden, around week 6 (or was it 10) he started refusing bottles all together. And breastfeeding (not pumping) is actually much easier in the long run. Especially if you don't work and have no need to pump on a regular basis (not sure of your situation, just guessing). Anyway, my suggestion is to keep offering the breast.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown