FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Thrush gone! but now other sickness

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Crystal
    is enjoying life.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thrush gone! but now other sickness

Thanks Robin and Stacey for answering my questions! Ya'll were so helpful!

We've got the thrush passed but now I have a head cold/sinus/allergy? something! I honestly was thinking it was sinuses and I've been taking tylenol sinus and it's been helping but now Steven has this congested/sneezy runny nose stuff! Why am I not helping him? Isn't breastfeeding supposed to protect from all this illness? My daycare kids and Lane have all have this crud too
    ( weather change ) but I don't let them near Steven and I'm constantly sanitizing everything and making them wash thier hands as soon as they come from thier house, come in from school.. and using germ-x.. I am constantly washing my hands, using the stuff, etc.. So what am I doing wrong? Does he just have a low immune system? I hear all the time about how great breastfeeding is in protecting them and my baby is sick all the time..

Thanks for listening to me whine and all the great advice you've given me thus far I guess i'm just disappointed because I didn't get to bf Lane for very long at all and he always had ear infections and I thought it was my fault because I couldn't bf him very long but here I am bf Steven all the time and he is even sicker than Lane was.. :'( ugh
    Crystal

2. Advertisement

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hugs Crystal!!!

Some babies are just sicker than others. Kyler was hardly ever sick as a baby (and he went to daycare) but since he turned two, he's been sick A LOT! And he nursed until he was 16 months old.

Kaden hasn't been sick yet, but he has had a snotty nose several times. I think some babies just have a hard time adjusting to our nasty environment. As long as he isn't running a fever, I think I'd just keep sucking the snot out of his nose and run a humidifier. Also propping his mattress will help.

One thing I've learned is that breastfeeding may not keep babies from getting sick, but I truely believe that is helps them recover more quickly. When Kyler is sick, he is usually well within 24 - 48 hours and usually that is without an antibiotic. So, I'd say the breastmilk did help him!!!

I'm so amazed that you are already keeping day care kids again. I don't see how you do it. I stayed home from work 3 months and most of that time Kyler went to the babysitter!! Your awesome!

One more thing....whatever sickness you have right now...while you are breastfeeding Steven, know that even if he "catches" the illness from you, it is giving him immunities from it later in life. And if he does catch it, his illness should be a lesser version of it than he'd had if he had not been breastfed.

So glad the thrush is gone too. I think we might be coming down with it right now, as my nipples are getting rather pink!
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

Dreamcatcher
    is going to have a very busy summer
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I know how you feel my dd seemed to catch a cold from my dayhome kids when she was little too. UI hope your little guy is feeling better soon and so are you.
    "One of the deepest secrets of life is that all that is worth doing is what we do for others." Lewis Carroll
    Janet
    Mama to Vincent and Tatyanna and an

RobinL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Crystal! I'm sorry you guys are all sick. I like to think that when bf babies get sick, it's less severe than if they hadn't been bf. Of course, it's hard to know for sure, but even so, you're doing a great thing!!! I hope you're all feeling better soon.
    Robin
    Duncan (surviving twin)--15yrs.
    Chloe Rose (angel twin)
    Sophie--11yrs

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BC-Crystal
    ...but now Steven has this congested/sneezy runny nose stuff! Why am I not helping him? ... I hear all the time about how great breastfeeding is in protecting them and my baby is sick all the time..
    Just some facts I got from my ped and LC: When a Bfing mommy is exposed to a virus, her body begins making the antibodies immediately. Those same antibodies show up in the breastmilk within 15 mintues after exposure...just in time for baby!

I'm wondering if the virus the your baby has (runny nose) if it is a virus, may be a different strain. Also, just as the ladies above said, they can still get it, but not as bad. Any nose drainage has the capability to cause an ear infection. My ds's infections have been due to allergy nasal drainage. At those young ages, their ear canals just aren't shaped well enough for good drainage of the canal to occur and an infection can happen easily. Breastfeeding will reduce these occurrences even in babies prone to ear infections. Imagine if they weren't breastfed what could happen!

I'm always hoping that when a virus is introduced that I get it first so I can produce the antibodies; however, just last week Joshua got the virus first, then Jonathan, then dh, and now me... so it doesn't always happen. I can know though that once I did get it, Joshua was getting an extra dose and maybe his won't ecalate into a sinus infection...so far so good!!!

I hope you all are feeling better!
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

Crystal
    is enjoying life.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks guys.. Steven does seem better today and much better than my oldest ds seems to be doing at the moment. I guess I was just having a downer day. Thanks for the encouragement!
    Crystal