FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Small nipples, low supply and exhausted

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    fetch
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Small nipples, low supply and exhausted

Hi everyone,

My baby boy is now 5 days old and I've been having big problems with BF from the beginning. I had a very hard delivery which put me off from starting BF for the first couple of days.

My problem is that not only do I have seriously small nipples that he cannot latch on to, I have low supply and painful nipples.
    The hospital lactation nurses have me using the nipple shield which he will usually latch on to, but it doesn't really express milk from me. If he does latch on, it's just the nipple (because it's so small) and it hurts too badly to continue.
    I'm also trying the suringe attached to nipple shield but his suck isn't strong enough to make the process worth it. It takes FOREVER and the forumla in the suringe seems to get stuck even though he's latched to the nipple shield. argh!

I have been supplimenting baby with formula of course to compensate.
    What should I do, just give up??
    Is forumula that bad? I'm exhausted from doing all of the above every 2-3-hrs because by the time I finish, it's time to start again.

Some advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    fetch....
    first off, congrats on the birth of your son!! sorry to hear it was a rough delivery....i hope the memory fades with time.
    i don't have much advice to add, but i hope someone does! nursing is a very personal choice, and if you do decide to stick with it, congrats! but if you don't, that's okay too! just do what is best for you and your son!
    oh, and in the mean time while you try to figure it out, buy some lansinoh nipple ointment...i used that after EVERY feeding session, and it really did help my nipples not to hurt as much.
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Dont give up yet!! I went through the same thing with both of my girls. With my first who is now almost three she never did latch on. I tried all of what you did. I then pumped but never got enough milk. I had to switch to formula. This time around i went throught the same thing inially. Eventually Carlee got the hang of it. I was also exhausted at first. Now that she latches fine we are doing great. She is five months old and I say i went through what you did for almost two months. It was exhausting!!! I guess what I am trying to say is either way, (formula or breastmilk) your baby will be fine, but keep trying,, it just may work. Also go see the LC again and again if you need to. HUGE hugs and good luck!
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05

Ceylon
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    argh Fetch Darlin',

this is just the begining of what will (I have no doubt) turn into a fabulous situation for you and baby Evan.

BF is hard. Its hard to get the hang of, and everyone has their points of view (all conflicting) and meanwhile you're just wondering when you can sit on your tushie again or if your tummy will ever heal up. Its not surprising that you are feeling overwhelmed right now. Try to take it easy on yourself. Your a first timer - and even women with several children can find this BF lark difficult at times.

I would encourage you to keep trying. If you give up too soon, you may live to regret your decision. If you keep going for a month and after that say "nope, this really isnt working for me" you will have given it your best.

The first few weeks are exhausting. I remember thinking that I was never going to leave my bedroom again. I had fantasies about - going to the living room - dum dum duuuuuuuuuh! The first few weeks just made that seem impossible. But it does get easier. It will start falling into place. Hold in there. Cuddle that sweet blessing in your arms and enjoy the fact he is here.

From what I know, the first few months can feel like babies are feeding 24 / 7. Just call yourself the Dairy Queen!! My daughter refused to latch onto my breasts, so I ended up pumping for seven months. And I say that you may regret giving up too soon as one who knows. Im currently trying to re-lactate again, because I really wanted to BF until my daughter was one, but exhaustion and a bad family situation got the better of me and I gave up about a month ago.

TRY to hang in there. If it doesnt work, you can hold your head up proudly that you tried. There is nothing wrong with formula. My daughter would have died from starvation because I didnt have enough BM for her (I had a breast reduction years ago).

I hope I dont sound preachy. I just want to encourage you. These are early days. It will get better. You will feel better. Just try to hang on a little longer and keep going.

good luck darlin'

Courtney
    ~~~~~~
    Mummy to Bronwen
    27th Feb 2005

Cassie R.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fetch
    I'm exhausted from doing all of the above every 2-3-hrs because by the time I finish, it's time to start again.
    Welcome to the wonderful world of motherhood! I think that is par for the course, whether you nurse or formula feed. Really -- during the first few weeks, it seems like all you ever do is feed and change the baby!!!!! That's true whether you nurse or formula feed -- if you are formula feeding, you might not have to bother with the nipple shields and syringe and all, but you would be spending the time making the bottles, cleaning the bottles, etc.! I would give it a little more time for both of you to get used to it. If your nipples are sore, be sure to try some lanisoh or chap stick to keep them from getting too chapped. (seriously, cherry chapstick is great for this -- inexpensive, easy to apply, works like a charm!)

Good luck and CONGRATS!

ETA: At 5 days, your milk is probably just starting to come in, and there probably hasn't been too much there so far, so don't be too worried about him not expressing much each time. As your supply gets more established and he figures it out, he'll start getting more and more!

Cassie
    Mom to JR (3 1/2) and Julia (9 months)
    Last edited by Cassie R.; 10-24-2005 at 11:31 AM.
    Cassie
    -- 7; -- 4

'99

Camel01
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fetch,
    Congrats and I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Try to stick with it and really get as much support from the laction people as you can. When Ashlyn latches on it is toe curling and I have to count to 20 or 30 before it becomes more comfortable. It is also getting better with time.
    I'm no expert but can you pump so that you can get a break at night when I think bfing is the worst for us?
    I 2nd the use of the lansinoh for the nipple pain. After I shower I blow dry my nipples and put the lansinoh on and then walk around the house in all my glory so that they can heal.
    This will all pass!
    Ashlyn 10/12/05

Blue
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Everyone has given great advice an I have nothing left to offer. but wanted to tell you not to give up. Take care of yourself and sleep sleep sleep inbetween feeds as it is exhausting in the beginning.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Christa

Blues
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    finger feeding may go more quickly than suringing on the nipple. I have done both but we were really into the swing of things in about two weeks... just in time to become exhausted from the first growth spurt

I have pretty tiny nipples and areolas myself and this was never raised as an issue. I did notice a difference between my boys and how they would latch on to me. One got it and the other one didnt. I would take two hands and pull/pinch my areolas as flat as I could and have the boys latch on to that the shape was like a (-) (-) I used to call it the nipple sandwitch. I would hang on esp if you had a tramatic delivery. It takes longer for your milk to come in. The most important thing about breastfeeding is a belief in yourself.
    When you cannot stand, He will bear you in his arms. Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow.
    Our Father will either sheild you from suffering, or He will give you strength to bear it.
    ~St. Francis de Sales
    Blues-proud twin Momma