FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Tiddler anger during baby feeding

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    AmyG7602
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Tiddler anger during baby feeding

Hello all! This is my first thread so forgive my social mistakes, if any.

My question is about my toddler. He becomes angry while I nurse my three month old. He begins to swing at me and the baby, and has even tried to pull the baby or the boppy off my lap. HELP!

Here are the things I have tried so far:
    1: Stopping nursing for a time out. Poor baby never got to eat so I stopped this.
    2: Telling Sam "I have to feed the baby. What book do you want to read?" He would go to get the book, get halfway through it, then smack someone.
    3: Letting him tell me where to sit when I feed the baby. Either on the rocker or the floor.

Not sure what to do next. Thanks in advance for advice!

Amy

_________

Sam 21 months, Luke 3 1/2 months

2. Advertisement

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Try having a few special toys he can only play with while you nurse. How about sitting on the floor while you nurse and playing with him. I would do this with my back against the couch for support. While on the floor you can help build towers out of blocks, push cars around, even roll a ball back and forth. Another option is to nurse with baby in a sling. You can do that while exploring in the back yard or even at the park.
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a toddler & a newborn also & I don't feel guilty about allowing my toddler to watch tv while I feed the baby. If he has a favourite show or video try putting that on. I'm not a big fan of lots of tv but if it helps your sanity & keeps your baby fed I say go for it! I also try to make sure my toddler & I have a special time each day when the baby sleeps so she gets some focused attention & feels less left out.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I bet Baby Einstein would work well in this case! I know Sam likes those videos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bianca
    I have a toddler & a newborn also & I don't feel guilty about allowing my toddler to watch tv while I feed the baby. If he has a favourite show or video try putting that on. I'm not a big fan of lots of tv but if it helps your sanity & keeps your baby fed I say go for it! I also try to make sure my toddler & I have a special time each day when the baby sleeps so she gets some focused attention & feels less left out.
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have used videos! It works!

I have also tried singing, telling stories, and trying to keep my toddler entertained while the baby is nursing.

Do Not allow the hitting to continue. I would definitely continue to give time outs or remove a fav toy.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

missyk
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have a toddler and a almost five month old. Kaelyn used to be like that. Minus the hitting. She just didnt want me to feed the baby. I would tell her to color me a picture while I feed the baby, or that after i feed the baby I will color a pic with her, or do a puzzle with her. I do occasionally pump and when I do give the baby a bottle (very seldom) she gets to help me hold it. I rely on the television too. Probably to much but sometimes I have too. ugggg
    Missyk
    Mommy to Kaelyn 11/22/2002--My little sweetie!
    My Wild mamma!--Carlee Grace 05/31/05

AmyG7602
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the advice. I have gotten a couple new Einstein videos from the library, and went to BigLots for new "feedingtoys". I have been sitting on the floor to feed the baby. S far, so good. I was reluctant to use the videos bc of tv addiction, but I decided I am the mommy and I can say no later when I have weaned Luke. There has been no hitting, during feeding time at least!

I'll keep you informed

Amy

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor