FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
It doesn't hurt??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    kathyinny
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't hurt??

I have been nursing for a week now and it was very painful for the first 3-4 days but now has stopped hurting. I think my baby might have a weak suck? Is there anything to do to get a baby to be more aggressive at sucking. He also doses at the breast all the time. One last question. How many minutes do each of you do?

2. Advertisement

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    It's probably stopped hurting b/c your nipples have got used to it. If he dozes at the breast but keeps sucking I wouldn't worry. If he stops sucking try stroking his cheek or tickling under his chin to initiate sucking again. The time thing is so variable. My first dd would feed for 45-60mins whereas my 2nd dd does 20-30mins.
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

MyFabFour
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    With my 2nd it didn't hurt half as much as with the first one. It doesn't mean there's anythign wrong with the suck and means your baby probably has a great latch! As long as baby has good wet and poopy diapers, then you know he's getting enough.

I had to do all sorts of stuff to keep my baby away, massage the little area where neck meets shoulder, rub ears, undress, wipe with a cool cloth or wet wipe. This phase passed after a bit. Congrats!

RobinL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You're concerned because it doesn't hurt? Usually I'm concerned when it does hurt! LOL! Listen to the advice above and you'll be fine!
    Robin
    Duncan (surviving twin)--15yrs.
    Chloe Rose (angel twin)
    Sophie--11yrs

cro
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Breastfeeding is NOT supposed to hurt!!!! Congratulations -- ds has figured it out and you've gotten used to it. Now enjoy it!

The length of feeds can vary so much. In the beginning, J would take 15-20 min. every 1.5 hours. After a few weeks it was down to 10 min feedings every 1.5-2 hours. Now he can get the job done in 5-10 min. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am.
    babywearing, breastfeeding, homeschooling mama to:
    M ~ born in Russia August 31, 2002 ~ home August 5, 2004
    J ~ natural miracle ~ born March 20, 2005
    E ~ another natural miracle ~ born December 8, 2008