FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
twin troubles

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    hbby
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

twin troubles

I am having a really hard time keeping up with my 7wk old twin boys. They take 3 1/2 to 4 oz per feeding. They were born 32w5d and I have needed to pump to fortify their milk with extra calories. This may be a dumb question but how do you supplement with formula? Do you add it to the ebm in the same bottle or a different one. Does it matter? Would it help with my supply if I but them to breast more often? I am only averaging once a day with both because I am worried about weight gain. I pump every two to three hours and only get 3-4oz per time. Is this normal? Any tips from twin Moms?
    Dx: POF - DE IVF
    Frat. twin boys born Aug. 27, 2005 at 32 weeks
    Q
    J

2. Advertisement

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    bump....

I don't have expereince with this, but wanted to make sure your post gets acknowledged. You might want to post on the Parenting Preemies borad, as I know a lot of the women there pump/pumped and b/fed their babies. They might be able to help you.

Good luck and congratulations on the arrival of your boys!
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations on your twins!! I don't have any experience with preemies but I know m(or) does and I'm sure she'll have great advice for you.
    I DO know that babies are usually far more efficient than the best pump, and that you would probably make more milk by putting them to the breast. If they don't mind what is in the bottle then I would only give formula in the bottles and put them on the breast a lot more often.

Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Before you start adding formula which may constipate them, give them gas, or worse yet cause allergic reactions, I would go to an LC. Have the LC do before and after feed weight checks to see how much your boys are getting. If it is enough, try breastfeeding only. If they have some latch issues, ask the LC to fit you with a nipple shield. This will help them transition from the bottle to breast only. Cutting pumping from your day will make life much easier. What worked for us was to drop the bottles for one twin first then the other. We picked the one who had the most trouble with the breast to go first. In the meantime, the one who could go from bottle to breast, got bottles of EBM every other feed.
    During this transition, it is okay if weight gain slows. My dd gained nothing for a week and a half. We got them weighed every other day at the ped. Most peds will do free weight checks. As long as the baby is healthy and peeing and pooping enough, weight gain is not that important. It will catch up. Nurse on demand and don't offer pacifiers if at all possible. Any time they are latched on, they are building supply. The pump is not as good at it. Try to do a nurse in. Get in bed or on the couch with them and nurse as often as they want to. Have someone else(DH) take care of everything else. Usually 2 days in a row will be enough. So it can be done in a weekend.
    Let us know how it goes, Marieke
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

hbby
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much for your replies
    I have another question - how long do you normally nurse? It can take one of the boys an hour for a full feeding. Is this normal? I am kind of sore by the end. Is it because I use a nipple shield? Also, for any of you that used a shield, how long did you use it before your little one could get a good natural latch? Thanks!
    Dx: POF - DE IVF
    Frat. twin boys born Aug. 27, 2005 at 32 weeks
    Q
    J