FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Curse the paediatrician!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Curse the paediatrician!

Kaelyn had a visit to the paed today for a follow-up on a slightly dilated kidney (considered normal but they are keeping an eye on it). Of course, they weighed her. Well at 16days old she has surpassed her birth weight but apparently that wasn't good enough . She suggested I start pumping & finger feeding dd the ebm. I swear you could have knocked me over with a feather. Having had a failure to thrive baby I'm thrilled with my milk supply & dd's weight gain plus I'm so proud of nourishing my 2 chn! Thank goodness it was the LC's clinic day down the hall. She reassured me that all is fine, don't worry about pumping & that the norm is to allow up to 3 wks for birth weight to be regained. She said the paed's in clinic tend to be overcompensating b/c they deal with so many premmie's. I just hate it though when someone knocks my confidence like that
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

2. Advertisement

teresab
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Geeze, I remember what you went through with Jacinita and this sounds wonderful for Kaelyn!!! My Ped likes to see them at birth weight at 14 days and she is passed hers at 16 days....sound greta to me! You go girl!! you are doing AWESOME!!!!!!!

Cassie R.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Teresa -- my ped likes them at their birth weight by the two week check-up. I can understand them being a little overly cautious if they are used to dealing with preemies, but it sounds like Kaelyn is well within the norm. I say keep up the good work!

Cassie
    Mom to JR 3/25/02 and Julia 1/12/05
    Cassie
    -- 7; -- 4

'99

MyFabFour
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think it sounds like you're doing a great job! i'm glad the LC clinic was more affirming

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would think if she'd surpassed her birth weight at 16 days she was doing GREAT!!!!!!!!WTG Mommy!
    Pediatricians can be so stupid. The jerk I saw in the hospital when the babies were 3 days old was going on and on about their weight loss, their bilirubin numbers, etc. He was also saying that most mothers can't make enough milk for twins. The other pediatricians had been so positive, I couldn't figure out what his problem was. Finally he said something about when we were going to be discharged and I said "Tomorrow." He got snotty and said "My c-section patients stay 4 days." I said "Tomorrow IS 4 days." So he counts ON HIS FINGERS and realizes that he thought my babies were 2 days old, not 3 days old. Then he must have realized that the weight loss and bilirubin numbers were right in line for 3 days old, and he sort of mumbled something, scribbled on the chart, and left the room. I was stewing.
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

StephanD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Glad you got affirmation at the LC. Max hadn't reached his birthweight by 2 weeks 8#2oz) but was up to 12# by 2 months and I didn't do anything differently.

With the twins, Callie was very slow to gain and I went in for repeated weight checks and about 2 months they finally asked me to supplement. I did start offering a bottle of formula at that time but she only weighed 7#2oz up from a birth weight of 6# 1oz. Looking back now I see why they were worried with barely a pounds growth in 2 months. She is a very healthy and normal sized 4 year old now.
    Stephanie

Ben - 11, Kaeden and Callie - 7, Max - 4

Blues
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I could strangle peds for this. Many really twist our hearts out when it comes to this. I have even heard my own BF touting friendly ped do this. I feel for first time moms who are soooo scared and to them the peds word is like the almightly. Many stop breastfeeding for the above reason.

I for two think his gain is awsome... keep up the good work!!!
    When you cannot stand, He will bear you in his arms. Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow.
    Our Father will either sheild you from suffering, or He will give you strength to bear it.
    ~St. Francis de Sales
    Blues-proud twin Momma