FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
If she is starving will she take a bottle?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    MichelleVA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If she is starving will she take a bottle?

I am having such issues. My DD refuses a bottle. She is 8 months. She took it fine for months but has gone on strike. I was out of work for about a month on vacation than surgery. We have tried giving her the bottle for about 3 weeks and nothing. She is to the point of crying when she sees one. Well I had surgery and she went for 21 hours with nothing just food and cereal that my mom watered down with breastmilk so she would get some liquid. We were getting concerned and finally just put her to my breast because we were concerned about dehydrating.
    But I ahve a wedding coming up in Alabama in3 weeks and she is staying here in VA with my mom. My mom is freaking out and trying to get her to take a bottle everyday. I work from 630am-1pm 3 days a week and 1 day all day and she goes without a bottle for the last week until I get home and nurse. She just refuses. But when we go away will she get to the point that she will just be starving for a bottle or what do you recommend? I was at the point of using a dropper to get her to take some milk it was that bad when I had surgery I was getting so worried about her.
    We have used the Gerber, Playtex and Evenflo bottles. I also bought her a soft tip sippy cup to see if she would do a sippy and no to that too.
    Please help!
    Michelle

With all this I am thinking of stopping breastfeeding once we get her onto a bottle well maybe just pumping and giving her bottles but how long would that last before I give in to formula? I just can't stand the thought of her not eating and than the pressure of having to feed every 4 hours if she goes that long...she is a constant nurser.
    MichelleVA
    Mikayla 12 Mya 10 Zoe 7 Jalen 4

EDD 6/21/13
    We thought our family of 6 felt like heaven....someone from above thought we should be a family of 7!

2. Advertisement

Fossette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I would have said yes, but it sounds like your princess has a stubborn streak

I had surgery when C was 10w old. It was an emergency and he'd never had a bottle. He made a mess, but took bottles of EBM while I was in the hospital for 4 days. We tried to keep up one bottle a day when I got home so I could sleep at night, but he'd have none of it and hasn't touched a bottle since.

He does, however, drink out of a sippy and regular cup and has for months. So my suggestion would be to try the Take and Toss sippy cups, no valve, easy for her to use. Maybe try some yobaby smoothie in there, once she gets a taste I'm sure she'll want to drink the rest...and then try ebm?
    My miracles: M & A-2002 & C-2004!

Current Live Auctions Palm Pilot & Co Sleeper:
    Palm Pilot
    Co Sleeper

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    , I don't know what to tell you. I've found that with bottle resistant babies, sometimes if they're starving they get even MORE angry. Have you tried her on it when she's not quite hungry yet? Let her play with it a little bit?
    I feel your pain!
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,