FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Help with supply

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Help with supply

Hi all

I've been lurking for awhile, had my daughter on 8/18/05 and now have a b/f question about supply.

I went through a very difficult l & d. I was able to b/f for the first 3-4 days, but then got so sick, I had to stop. Now that I'm better, I would like to continue to b/f. When I was sick I did not pump or b/f so the milk went away. But not totally..I would still leak.

I have been trying to get the supply back in, by pumping and I get very little. In fact, it seems like I'm getting less, the more I pump.

Anybody got any ideas on how to increase the supply so I can go back to b/f?

thanks

Amy

2. Advertisement

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just started taking fenugreek and it seems to be helping.

Make sure you are drinking plenty of water and stay hydrated. Oatmeal is good too.

I can also suggest letting your baby nurse often, rather than pumping, to increase supply.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

Michellei
    My schedule is overwhelming...yet here I am on FT!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on your baby!

I just had to have emergency surgery last week. So, I went 4 days and nights w/o nursing at all. I did ask for a pump in the hospital but got it the 2nd day I was there and because I had 2 surgeries I didn't pump much because of being out of it most of the time.

By the time I got home and could nurse again my supply was almost nil. I started taking "mothers milk". You can get it at a health food store. I got mine at Wild Oats. I live in Colorado Springs so maybe there is one there in Denver. I took it 4 times a day and now my supply is almost up to what it was before I went into the hospital... and this worked within 3 days. Also, I agree with jodie35 drink lots of water. And, nurse often. For me pumping is not as effective as actually breastfeeding.

Oh, that mothers milk comes in a blue bottle. It's a little expensive (around $20 for a small bottle) but a little goes a long way to helping you produce. And, when I got mine Wild Oats said that if it didn't work to save my receipt because I could take it back and get my money back. But, I didn't have to do that!

Good Luck!
    Michellei
    Michellei
    Caffeine junkie married to a PB junkie...15+ years
    DD #1 8yrs. DD #2 6yrs
    DD #3 2yrs

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks ladies. In the hospital they told me malt would help bring in the milk, too. So we got some foods with malt yesterday.

We do have Wild Oats in Denver, and a new Whole Foods, which will probably have the mothers milk, too. I tried getting Hannah on the breast last night, but she wouldn't latch correctly, but today she did better.

Thanks for the tips

Amy

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Take fenugreek (3 pills, 3 times a day). Pump after every feeding if she nursing and during every feeding when she gets a bottle. Pump at least 5 minutes after you stop seeing milk....you could get another let down. Eat lots of oatmeal. Drink lots of water. Pump in the middle of the night....that is when your supply should be the greatest. Drink mothers milk tea. Try to get your little one to latch as much as possible.

Order Domperidone if the above doesn't help.

I'm about to leave work....I'll try to reply with more later. Sorry to be so short....I just wanted to answer this before I left.

Good luck.
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

DunkinGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi, Amy! I don't know if you remember me, but we PM'd a few times when you were in Vegas. Congrats on your baby girl!
    I started taking Fenugreek when I went back to work because my supply dropped a bit. But oatmeal seems to work really well for me. (I can't really tell the difference with Fenugreek, but I can with the oatmeal - funny, huh?) I don't just eat oatmeal, either - oatmeal cookies will do!

Definitely check out the thread started by emmalinde.

And if you are having problems latching, get thee to a lactation consultant! Many will come to your home - it is really invaluable to have someone so knowledgeable assess the situation; so often it is a really quick fix.

Good luck! Hang in there!
    Suzie
    DunkinGirl