FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Zyrtec and B/Fing

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Cassie R.
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Zyrtec and B/Fing

I just got back from the doctor -- it's been a horrible allergy season and I'd reached the point where my ears were so clogged I couldn't hear! I hadn't been taking anything for them, just trying to rough it out, until the last week or so when I started taking some sudafed and claritin, but hadn't noticed much improvement. The doc said not taking allergy meds is the worst thing to do -- it just lets the fluid build up and that was what was causing my ear problems. So she prescribed Zyrtec (sp.?) for me. It is a combination of pseudoephidrine and antihistimine. She said it would take a couple of weeks to really notice an improvement. I didn't even think to ask her about b/fing. But I did ask the pharmacist when I was picking up the prescription and she said it does go into the bm. She didn't think it was too much of a problem, but did suggest that I b/f right before taking it, so that there is as little as possible in my system. Of course, I b/f (or pump) more than twice a day, so that won't always be possible. I figure I have about a month to 6 weeks before we get a hard freeze and allergy season is over for this year.

Has anyone else taken this med while b/f? What about sudafed or claritin? Any other suggestions for allergy relief that are b/f friendly? I have it all -- runny, itchy eyes, nose congestion, sore throat, etc.
    Cassie
    -- 7; -- 4

'99

2. Advertisement

Blessedmama24
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I dont know what meds to take either and I am right there with you with allergies.My throat has been swollen more in the last few days than ever in my life. My pharmacist said you cant take any antihistamins but what are we to do??? I finally seen a Dr last nite and got a lovely injection of rocephine (ouch) and I feel better but something has to give. The dr said I could take sudafed but pharmacy said no, so who do we go with?
    Hope relief come soon for us both
    test

m(or)
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...antihistamines According to this link zyrtec is one of the safer ones.
    M
    Wife to W Married 34 years
    Mommy to dd K 19 years old and
    ds M and dd C 16 years old

Sherri
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have always taken Flonase while nursing-doesn't affect your milk supply or get into it.Works like a miracle for me too!I have zero symptoms and only take a half dose.
    Z=15
    G=13
    R=9
    E=6

www.SweetieDumplings.etsy.com

HUGE summer clearance!

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Well, my 10 month old nursling TAKES Zyrtec straight up! So I'm guessing the dose they'd get through your b/m wouldn't be bad. Keep an eye on your supply.
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i take zyrtec myself daily, and my doctor said it's just fine while BFing. it's one of the safer meds, and i would DIE without it!

hope it helps!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old