FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
I am SO frustrated

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    pugified
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding

I am SO frustrated

I'm hoping someone can help me. Ava is now latching on with no problem, but then she drinks for a few minutes, take an ounce to an ounce and a half (we have a scale so I know how much she is getting), and falls sound asleep. I can never wake her up. Then she wakes up on her own 45min - 1 hour later, and wants to eat again, which means she is constantly on the breast. This is so frustrating for me and makes me want to stop bf entirely. How can i get her to take the 3 - 4 ounces she needs at one sitting, so that she won't want to eat again for 2 or 3 hours?

Thanks.
    Me 31, DH 33; Dx: Male Factor
    IVF #1 - BFP!
    DD #1 ~ Ava ~ Born August 22, 2005
    FET #1 - BFP!
    DD #2 ~ Lyla ~ Born April 14, 2008

2. Advertisement

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    you could try tickling her face when she's eating to keep her awake.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Make sure she's not too warm when she's eating.
    I can't remember when my babies started going longer between meals. Don't expect too much of her, she's still tiny. Mine may have nursed longer but they were attached to the breast for 30 minutes at a time, so even if they went 2 hours from start to start, I still felt like they were attached all the time!
    This too, shall pass.

Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

Blessedmama24
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Sadly they do seem to stay on the breast 24/7 in the begining. Maybe you could stimulate her while feeding. I rubbed/tickled dd feet.My dd has never stayed on the breast long at any given time.Never been latched for 20 or even 30mins. She is growing and healthy, I know some babies just empty the breast faster. As long as she is wetting enough diapers and gaining she is ok Sorry if I am no help. ((hugzz)) it does get easier.
    test

3boys2luv
    is melting!!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    I agree that at the beginning it seems like they are attached all the time.

Here's one trick I used with both of mine to get a little more milk in them. Try to keep her awake as long as you can (I know you are already) - then when she does fall asleep you can use your hand to manually compress the breast she's attached to. It will force some milk into her mouth and most often she'll take a few more sucks and get some more swallows in, even while sleeping. When she stops - do it again.

This was something we talked about in a breastfeeding support group here and we all tried it. My son would keep sleeping and feeding. A couple of the babies would wake up but that's OK, too, as they were awake to continue the feeding.

Good luck!
    Raising children is like being pecked to death by chickens.

dcfan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, I usually lurk, but your post hit home. Such was/is life with my little girl, born 8/18. She has always been a real sleepyhead at the breast, although I am a little luckier than you in that she often (usually) goes 3 hours b/w feeds. However, like you I worry about her getting enough food, and I always worry that she will start feeding sooner because of being hungry. Plus, I would love if her middle of the night feeding where more of a full feeding, so that she slept more than 3 hours afterwards, KWIM?

THe things I have done to keep her awake and eating (and the whole process has become better, btw, she is staying alert a little longer than she used to): damp washcloth on face, hands and feet; all clothes off (diaper only), I have a fan blowing cool air on her; rubbing her hair; tickling behind her ear, rubbing back and belly; talking to her, loud music (except during night feeds), blowing on her face (that really gets a reaction!). It does seem to have made her a better eater, although I think she will always be a bit pokey. Just keep trying things (anything) that you think will snap her to attention, you will likely hit on a few things that work well for your girl.

Good luck with it, it can get sooo frustrating at times.

Kim
    Kim
    36, DH 37, ttc 3+y
    endo, high fsh
    ivf attempts = 6
    complete cycles = 0
    considering DE & adoption

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Kim..our babies were born on the same day!

In the hospital, the lactation consultants there kept helping me with the b/f and they told me to scratch (or tickle) under her chin, towards the back (where it meets the neck). THat worked every time. SHe'd wake up and take some more.

Good luck

Amy

momto3angels
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had this with my little Joey when he was first born. He did what I called the "snack and nap" for most feedings. It's hard because you don't get much sleep, but Ava will get better at the feedings with time. By about 2 months, Joey had started to get the hang of things and he was eating at much longer stretches.

Try to hang in there.
    April
    Mom to angels: Hannah, Ryan and Abby. 10/24-10/28/03.
    Earth Angels: Joey b 5/08/05 and Laura b 5/26/07
    ==
    A butterfly lights beside us like a sunbeam. And for a brief moment, Its glory and beauty belong to our world…But then it flies on again, And though we wish it could have stayed, We feel so lucky to have seen it.

StephanD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't have any more advice to add....but your little girl is just gorgeous!! Love the avatar!!
    Stephanie

Ben - 11, Kaeden and Callie - 7, Max - 4

pugified
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Brooding
    Thanks for the advice ladies and thanks to StephanD for your sweet comments!! Things are going marginally better. I'm just trying to be patient. Thanks again for your help.
    Me 31, DH 33; Dx: Male Factor
    IVF #1 - BFP!
    DD #1 ~ Ava ~ Born August 22, 2005
    FET #1 - BFP!
    DD #2 ~ Lyla ~ Born April 14, 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast