FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Questions--how much milk does 8 mo old need?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    tandh
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Questions--how much milk does 8 mo old need?

Hi

I have been taking domperidone since birth and recently dropped from 30 mg/day to 10 mg/day in an effort to get off of it. My mom had breast cancer so I had some reservations about using it but had to if I wanted to b/f.

Well my supply is down but I am hanging in there since we are using solids. I just don't know what kind of balance I should be trying for. My breasts are never full now and I can probably only get 3-4 oz a feed. So how many oz per day should he get? I have lots in the freezer or can supplement too. I am kind of sad as I think this is the beginning of weaning. I use to get 7-8 oz per feed. Or I could get more domperidone I guess but from someone else as DR was hesitant to keep giving me more.

Looking for advice, especially on balance between solids and milk.

Thanks.

tandh

Ethan and Cassidy 3.5 years
    Carter 8 months

2. Advertisement

homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's so hard to guess when your bfing. My now 8yr. old ds weaned himself at 8 months and his pedi told me to give him 4 oz. He was on solids and the 4 oz. worked for him. If your baby is not taking solids or just a little, I'm sure he would need more.
    I think you are making enough at 4 oz. if he's getting solids. My pedi told me to increase his solids if he was still hungry, not the fluid.

Good luck!
    Michelle

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Don't think it's the end! I don't know what my babies get when they nurse but their bottles for daycare are only 4 or 5 ounces and they don't always finish them. Plus it's common for your breasts to feel less full after your baby is this age and your supply has settled.

Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,