FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Ouch! Can anyone help?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    jools
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy

Ouch! Can anyone help?

Hi

I hope someone can help. My little guy is seven months old and I have been breastfeeding him without any problems so far. With my first baby I had mastitis very badly, but that hasn't happened yet.

Does anyone know what this is? I have a very sore nipple (the other side is fine). It is red (not the other) and it REALLY hurts when he is nursing, but only that side. It is hurts semi when he is not nursing. There is some pain going into my back on that side as well, but it isn't bad.

He has a tiny tooth bud, so I thought it was that, but why just the one side and why does it hurt now and why is it red.

What could this be?

What can I do? I have tried him in different positions, but it still hurts.

Is this a plugged duct? There are now lumps; just pain in the nipple and kind of in my back and the red colour.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone can help me.

Thanks!
    Jools
    Mommy to

2. Advertisement

MyFabFour
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    kind of sounds like thrush. are there any other white spots in his mouth? you may want to check with your doctor. i can't remember the treatment for that. plugged ducts are painful also, but i don't think they make the nipple sore. hope it lets up soon.

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jools...
    i just had a plugged duct, and the first sign was a white dot on my nipple and it was very sore. eventually, the milk backed up all the way to my collarbone practically!! i had to keep nursing (even though it hurt like hell), did some deep tissue massage, took several hot showers, and pumped a lot to get it unclogged. but i had no redness....redness, i think might be a sign of mastitis. if you can't get it unclogged by those methods, i'd call your doctor to make sure it's not mastitis....you don't want to let that get out of hand!
    here's a link to the la leche site about how to unclog your duct.
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/mastitis.html
    good luck! i know it's painful!!
    sarah
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

flicka7
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also pumped a lot and only nursed him on the other side. I had lumps and an extremely painful nipple. An LC suggested that I start him on the other side and offer the sore one second because the baby is going to do a better job than the pump. I think I was always starting on the right cause I'm right handed and it got sore that way cause it was getting more action!
    Me & DH, 47
    POF, 6 IVF's, 2 m/c, finally successful with DE
    5, twins & 3.5

jools
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thanks for your replies.

I went to the doctor yesterday and it is thrush, but he doesn't have it. She thinks when he bit me last week, it may have started it. I have to use cream, and I am waiting patiently for it to work. Man, does it hurt when he gets on there.

Oh, there he is now.

Thanks!!!

Jools
    Mommy to

marya
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jools
    Thanks for your replies.

I went to the doctor yesterday and it is thrush, but he doesn't have it. She thinks when he bit me last week, it may have started it. I have to use cream, and I am waiting patiently for it to work. Man, does it hurt when he gets on there.

Oh, there he is now.

Thanks!!!

Jools
    If the thrush is in your ducts, the cream probably won't work. If after a few days you don't get some relief, ask for Difulcan. A single dose was all it took to clear up a really persistant case of thrush I had.
    marya
    DX: Severe MF
    My avatar is the Sanskrit symbol "ohm" It has many interpretations, among my favorites is "the realization of the divinity within all man (or within oneself)."

trustinginHim
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

jools

I'm there w/ you, so sorry about the pain. I had undiagnosed thrush for the first 3 months of my son's life. It was AWFUL. I thought it was just normal pain from breast feeding but everyone told me it shouldn't hurt. It was like pins and needles everytime he nursed, I had a couple episodes of the masitis on top of it. It hurt so bad I had to bite down on my finger everytime he latched on. My lactation consultant recommended this blue stuff I put on my nipples and on my son's mouth. We stayed home for a week b/c of the appearance on my son, he looked like a punk rocker! I had to boil all my bras, shirts, pacifiers, anything that touched my son or me. It was tricky to get rid of. I wish you the best of luck. Sorry I can't remember the name of the blue stuff, if you ask around I'm sure you can figure it out if your interested. hugs,

jools
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Happy
    Thanks so much for your help. The cream helps. I thought it was gone, so I stopped, but then it started again. I guess you have to keep using it for a while even after your symptoms are gone. That difulcan sounds interesting. I am glad to know there is another option if it comes back after using this cream for a while.

I am so sorry to hear about your three month ordeal. That is just AWFUL. You poor thing. I am glad the blue stuff worked for you.

Jools
    Mommy to