FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
clogged duct

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

clogged duct

okay, so my little blister that i thought i had on my left nipple seems like instead it was the beginning of a clogged duct! OUCH!

i last pumped at 9pm, and woke up to nurse cami at 2am (dh gave her a bottle at 1030-11 (she took it, too, just to prove us wrong!). anyway, when i woke up, my left breast felt 'full' and was uncomfortable. i just thought it was b/c it had been 5 hrs since last pumping/nursing. so, i nursed on my left side first, and thought it'd be better. well, it's not. i have a very lumpy breast on the inner side of it, and a hard lump all the way up at the very top of my breast (almost below my collar bone!). it hurts a ton!

so, i did a little research....i put a hot facecloth on that breast, and i even pumped for 10'' on that side after she nursed (and i got just a few drops of milk). i'm not sure what else to do....i don't want to develop mastitis!

i read somewhere in my searching to aim the baby's chin at the sore spot and that aims the most suction from the baby at that spot. i'll try that at the next feeding. man, i have NEVER looked forward to nursing as much as i do now....in hopes that it will unclog and feel better!

at what point do i call the doctor? we've got my cousin's wedding to go to tomorrow, too, and although we can leave early if i need to, we have to go (already rsvp'd and it was $50 a plate!).

GRRRRR! i love breastfeeding, and definetly don't want to stop! i hope this clears up soon. what symptoms should i watch for regarding mastitis?

HELP!! (again!)
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

2. Advertisement

Blessedmama24
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    What helped me was gettin in the hot shower and messaging the spot. Hope it clears up soon. Have fun at the wedding
    test

StephanD
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My first sign of Mastitis was a fever. I thought the fever was related to a infection much lower since I didn't have any other symptoms. The doctor asked about areas of redness on the breast and I said no. Of course by the time I showed up there the telltale redness was there and I got antibiotics for an infection. So, fever and redness are signs of mastitis and I got all that without the nastiness of a painful plugged duct. Hope you are able to clear it soon!!
    Stephanie

Ben - 11, Kaeden and Callie - 7, Max - 4

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks girls for the tips.

luckily, having done the deep pressure massage, hot showers, massaging the lumps, taking a flaming hot shower, and pumping three times, when camryn nursed at 7am yesterday, she unclogged me!! what a relief! milk was literally backed up to my collarbone on my left side.

i also read something on a site that said if you have a little white dot on the end of your nipple that it is the end of the clogged duct, and that you should puncture it with a sterile needle. so at 530am on saturday, i was performing surgery on myself with a sewing needle that i had sterilized under a flame. but, it worked since at the next feeding is when i was 'unclogged'.

the wedding was okay...i was so tired, and kind of grumpy b/c of it. being out 1hr from home is hard enough, never mind on such little sleep. so i can't really say i enjoyed myself. i most enjoyed the moment that we pulled back up to our house and were home!!

then, last night at 2am (again) i woke up and felt my left boob, and felt that same hard lump on it's way up to my chest wall! i was SOOO irritated! clogged again! GRRRR! so, when camryn woke up, i held a hot washcloth on my breast for a few minutes first, and then nursed, and it went away. i remembered reading to make sure you totally empty the breast, so i pumped after she ate (at 3am....just what i wanted to do) and got 3 more ounces! when i pumped after her 6am feeding, i just got a few drops....so, i hope that throughout today, i don't have to pump after each feeding. i'm just going to encourage cam to stay on that breast for a while. but, i'm also going to have to make sure the other one gets good attention from her too, or i could have the same problem on the other side!

i hope this doesn't keep happening! it's exhausting, and painful! today, i'm doing NOTHING but relaxing. my SIL stopped by yesterday while we were gone and cleaned our whole house, the sweet thing. so i can just relax with my baby today. thank goodness!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

homeschoolmom
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    In case this happens again, I heard a great tip on this board! Take a washcloth and cut a hole in the middle for your nipple. Make the washcloth as warm as you can handle and place it on your breast while you pump. I thought it was a great suggestion! I do hope you don't go through that again...it's NO fun!!

Michelle

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    that's a good idea michelle...i'll keep it in mind!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old