FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
milk storage question

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

milk storage question

man, i'm a posting fool over here today, huh!

my question is....when we have refridgerated only (never frozen) EBM and put it into a bottle, and have it warmed to room temp (by warm water only).....if the baby decides NOT to take the bottle, do i have to toss the EBM? or can i re-refridgerate it without any damage being done? if this happened, i would be sure to use it within 24 hrs, but i'm not sure if the cooling-warming-cooling-warming would be a problem.

thanks!! your advice is much appreciated!!

sarah
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

2. Advertisement

mcavy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sarah,
    We cool and reheat EBM all the time in the NICU. I usually try to just warm what I'm going to use for a feeding, but lots of the nurses there will warm an entire bottle and then just pull up in a syringe what they need and then re-refridgerate the rest. As long as you are using a warm water bath to heat it, you can cool it again. If she drinks any of a bottle, though, use it within an hour or toss the rest, as you shouldn't save it once they've put it in their mouth. (you probably know that part )
    Michele
    PCO, 34 years old
    7 years
    5 years
    14 months
    Forever AHM!

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks michele! that's just what i was hoping to hear. i feel like my milk is GOLD and don't want to waste a single drop of it!

now, what if it was frozen, and then thawed with a warm water bath and not all of it was used (but not 'in' the bottle)? still the same, i'm assuming?
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

StaceyTX
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Frozen that has been thawed needs to be used within 24 hours of thawing.

I agree with the above.

Although now that my baby is older, if he starts a bottle and doesn't finish it, I will put it in the fridge, then change the nipple and use it later that day. I know you aren't "supposed" to do this, but it hasn't seemed to bother Kaden. I normally use it for his cereal....that he won't eat!
    Born in Heaven 12/5/01
    9 years old
    7years old
    4 years old

"Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" - unknown

mcavy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sarah,
    Yes, you can thaw frozen and reheat it multiple times as well. Our NICU policy is to use frozen MBM within 48 hours. I've heard lots of different variations on this, I tend to do what the NICU does out of habit since it's what I know. Plus, if it's good enough for preemies with no immune systems, it's gotta be ok for a "regular" baby
    Yeah, I think of my milk as gold, too, even with a freezer full of it! It's just too much work to pump it out and store it only to throw it away. Formula is expensive, but I feel like there is a never-ending supply of that, not my milk.
    Michele
    PCO, 34 years old
    7 years
    5 years
    14 months
    Forever AHM!