FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
sore left nipple

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

sore left nipple

okay, i need some help!

i have a little white spot about the size of a tip of a ball point pen on my left nipple. it has been sore since last weekend when i nursed her at the fair we went to, and let her stay on with a not-so-great latch just b/c we were in public. but today it has moved beyond sore to hurting! OUCH! i nursed her just now (in the cradle position with my boppy) and it killed!! so, i un-latched her and found that right next to the small white spot, i was bleeding! oh no!! so, i switched and nursed her in the football hold, and it was much less painful.

do you think the white spot is kind of a blister type thing?

for now, on that breast, i'm going to SLATHER the lansinoh ointment on after each feeding and only do the football hold on that side for now. which sucks, b/c tomorrow we'll be at that wedding, and the football is hard to do without the boppy and a pillow behind my back. maybe i'll bring the boppy with me and nurse somewhere out of view.

any other tips? and is it a blister? how long will it take to go away?!?

thanks for the advice!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

2. Advertisement

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    ooouuuccchhh!

could be a blister but if it doesnt go away in a few days please have your doc look at it.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

jmulligan
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sarah,

It sounds to me as though you have a milk blister or bleb. I had one and it made nursing soooooooooooo painful. When the pain got really bad, I'd take a day off and just pump that breast and bottle feed my babies the ebm. It was sooooooo upsetting. I went to a breastfeeding meeting at the hospital I gave birth and there was one other woman who said that she'd had one too and that it took her 10 weeks to get rid of. I was downtroddened when I heard that. Mine finally went away after 6 weeks. I recently bought the Avent Isis handpump and I really think that's what cleared it. That... and my son is a hoover. But still, all the pumping with my Medela PIS and nursing my son on that side (he's a more vigorous nurser than his twin sister) didn't clear it up. I too tried using hot compresses. I tried to pop it. I tried to squeeze it. The only thing I did differently was use my handpump and now it's finally gone.

However, be careful. I developed thrush and I think it's because I broke the skin on the nipple and I had to take antibiotics when I developed mastitis.

Best of luck. Hope you fare better than I.

Jeanne

Holly
    is busy, busy, busy.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Yes, it does sound like a bleb. I have 3 of them right now on one nipple!!! Talk about pain!

Here is some helpful information: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/nipplebleb.html
    ~Holly

Mom of 2 beautiful girls 10 and 9 yrs old

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for that link! it had some great information...i printed it out to keep on hand if it ever happens again. luckily, my blockage cleared up in about 7 hours...but during that 7 hours, i was doing SOMETHING to my boob at all times (pumping, nursing, hot pack, popping the blister, showering, massaging). i hope it never happens again....it was so painful! i couldn't imagine it for 6 weeks!!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old