FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Had surgery...issues with BF

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    MichelleVA
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Had surgery...issues with BF

Ok I had surgery 28 hours ago. I just bf Erika for the first time one hour ago.
    Ok so I had general anesthesia they said to wait one pumping session than the next dr. I asked said 12 hours than the next said 36 hours. Well than I read on Kellymom that once I am awake the ga would be out of my system when I am awake so that was fine I waited a bit longer after I woke up 27 hours. So than I am on tylenol 3 it has codeine in it and I take it every 6 hours. So I am going to try to feed her a couple hours after I take the pill. So does anyone think this is ok or should I let her just eat food....did I mention she has refused the bottle for the last 48 hours? We have been doubling up on food and giving her a 4 oz bottle with cereal making it almost water but feeding her with a spoon. Yes that is fun NOT!
    So just wanted to see if you all agree it is ok to BF. The drs. don't have a clue shame on them!
    Thanks
    MichelleVA
    MichelleVA
    Mikayla 12 Mya 10 Zoe 7 Jalen 4

EDD 6/21/13
    We thought our family of 6 felt like heaven....someone from above thought we should be a family of 7!

2. Advertisement

Dreamcatcher
    is going to have a very busy summer
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I had surgery when Tatyanna was 6 months old. (gall bladder removed). My surgeon and anethatist (sp?) told me to pump once and dump and then go ahead and feed. My surgery was at 9 am and dh brought her to me at 6pm to nurse. I was also on tylenol/codine and it never affected her. BTW I took tylenol/codine while in the hospital after my c-section and would nurse her whenever she was hungry. I also was given demerol/gravol a number of times due to gall bladder attacks(usually about 2am) and then she would wake and want to nurse about 5am, and all the drs told me it was ok to go a head and nurse.
    Tatyanna also refused to take a bottle until the middle of the night (I stayed 1 night) and only drank about 3 ozs before crying herself to sleep b/c I wasn't there to feed her.
    I'm sure she will be ok and you won't be taking the tylenol/codine for forever right?
    "One of the deepest secrets of life is that all that is worth doing is what we do for others." Lewis Carroll
    Janet
    Mama to Vincent and Tatyanna and an

Blues
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The thing is that they are no longer allowed to say that anything is "safe" while bf. I took tylonal with codiene while BF. You just need to look for the same side effects in your little one as you would yourself. I honestly would trust the info at Kelly mom myself. I hope your recovery gets smoother.
    When you cannot stand, He will bear you in his arms. Do not look forward to what may happen tomorrow.
    Our Father will either sheild you from suffering, or He will give you strength to bear it.
    ~St. Francis de Sales
    Blues-proud twin Momma

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Is tylenol with codeine the same as percoset? Percoset is what I had after my c-section, and I nursed.

Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,