FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Is there such thing as too much weight gain??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    mcavy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Is there such thing as too much weight gain??

I was reading up today in one of my breastfeeding books about what can cause fussiness in breastfed babies and I came across a section that talked about hyperlactation. Apparently, this can happen when the mom has too much milk and the baby gets too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk, which then causes vomitting/colic symptoms and the babies gain weight by leaps and bounds. It said that if they gain more than an ounce a day, that it's too much. Well, based on the last official weigh in at the pedi, Alex should weigh about 10 pounds, 3 ounces now, gaining an ounce a day from August 15th and I think he weighs closer to, if not over 12 pounds! He is 6 weeks old today. Do you think I should call the pedi about this?? Is there such thing as too much weight gain?? I do have a huge amount of milk, I'm pumping after feeding him to relieve my own engorgement 1-2 times a day and I can get an extra 8-9 ounces! He only eats on one side at a time now (has for about a week) which is what the books says to do for this, but I'm still worried
    Michele
    PCO, 34 years old
    7 years
    5 years
    14 months
    Forever AHM!

2. Advertisement

Cari
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont pump, if you can. Pumping will only increase your supply. Your body will regualte itself, trust me. I cant answer your question, but my little one gained alit in the first weeks, and then it slowed down. He was 8 lbs at birth, 12.5 at 6 weeks, now at almost 11 months, he is about 24.

If you are worried, call the ped.

Cari
    Cari
    Kyle and Erin
    1/21/02

Ryan John
    10/15/04

bianca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can't overfeed a bf baby. Several ppl I know have had bf'g babies growing over the 100% & that's fine!
    Mummy to my 3 miracles:
    Jacinta Margaret 9/8/03 (thanks to a great herbalist )
    Kaelyn Eliza 9/18/05 (a total surprise )
    Elise Jaimee 7/19/08
    after nearly 3yrs ttc #1,12 failed clomid cycles, 1 IVF & 1 FET

JJsmom
    has no status.
    Just East of West and slighty North of South
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My first was a chunker and I fed only one side at a time. At 6 mos. he was 24lbs. At 1 year he was 29.5 lbs... I bfed him until 16 mos. At 2 years he was only 32lbs...the normal 'thinning out' stage. I wouldn't worry about it and count blessings instead. One sided feeding (at least to me) is so much easier if you don't mind being a bit lopsided every now and then.

Amy
    The truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it. -- Flannery O'Connor

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My dd was HUGE, over 15 lbs at 2 months. (15 lbs is big for any baby, but especially a girl.) She was strictly b/f, and I only nursed her on one side at a time. She gained rapidly until I weaned her at about 13 months, and then she didn't gain another ounce until she was almost 2! She was off the charts for weight until 18 months, when she hit about the 98th percentile, and then at 2 she was 97th percentile. At 33 months she has now really thinned out, just has chubby cheeks and a toddler tummy! If she hadn't been such a big baby she'd probably be a stick by now!
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,