FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
New to this board, adoptive breastfeeding

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ellie Mae
    What does not kill us...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused

New to this board, adoptive breastfeeding

Hi there. There is a site on here fo adoptive breastfeeding, but I wanted to join here too. I have induced lactation for our adopted baby, Troy. I also breastfed my biological children...Wyatt for 8 months, Tucker for 17 months, and Michaela for 12 months. So, I figure I might be able to lend some support SOMEWHERE.

Inducing lactationis a lot harder than I thought it would be. I thought that the supply/dmeand rule would work just the same. It doesn't. I am producing about 1/2 to 3/4 of Troy's intake needs daily. I am hoping to increase more. He is one month old. He hated nursing with the supplementor, so now we BF first, and then bottle feed.

I do have one MAJOR issue. DH is not comfortable with me nursing in public. He says "Just give him a bottle". BUT, we are at church A LOT and I want to nurse him and don't want to be exiled to the nursery. Well, another issue is that the baby screams when I try to place a blanket over us to nurse. I have been practicing at home. I do not want to expose myself to everyone, but have no problem with nursing around people.

Any suggestions?

16 15 13 6 5/05

2. Advertisement

comp13
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much advice, just wanted to say congratulations!

comp13
    Twin dd's 3/21/01
    DS 7/28/04

teresab
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I do not have much advice either because Joel HATES to be covered and almost always did. I know that StaceyTX gave me a link to a nursing shaw(not sure if that is the exact name of it) from ebay. I know she has one so maybe she can help you out a little!

KTJ
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I don't have much advice since dh has never seen me NIP, but I wanted to say "welcome"!
    Katie
    Katie
    ttc #1 4 1/2 years
    1st IVF successful!
    CF ,
    successful FET 4/2/04
    CG & JDM,

Fossette
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I wear pull over shirts, usually a tshirt or the like and just pull it down, its pretty discreet.
    My miracles: M & A-2002 & C-2004!

Current Live Auctions Palm Pilot & Co Sleeper:
    Palm Pilot
    Co Sleeper

RobinL
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Fossie has seen me bfip and she might think I'm not too discreet! but when Sophie was little I thought it helped to put a blanket over my shoulder and let it hang down behind her head, down my side. It blocked the side view so no one could see anything from that side. I pull my shirt right to her upper lip, so you can't see anything straight on either. I did much better that way than trying to cover her up. I always dropped the blanket if I tried to cover her and that was really awkward! How about in a sling? I never mastered bfing in a sling but if you can do it, that might work well. Our church has two gliders in the back, so I used those a lot too. I figured if someone said anything I would point out that Jesus was breastfed! (he was, wasn't He? LOL!)
    Robin
    Duncan (surviving twin)--15yrs.
    Chloe Rose (angel twin)
    Sophie--11yrs

Blue
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheeky
    Griffin hates being covered up as well when we nurse. I usually try to go to the nursing rooms in the malls etc however there are times that this is not available. I am just now after three months ofnursing becoming more comfortable nursing in public. I some times try to put a blanket over us however I spend more time worrying about the blanket then I do feeding him then he does not get a good feed in. So I say SCREW IT! nurse where an when you want. no one has had the nerve to say anything to me yet ... but i have some good one liners should they dare!

Good Luck ... BF where-ever you want. And Congrats on successfulyl Bfing your adopted baby boy! he is gorgeous!

jodie35
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    congrats to you and your new son!!

I BF in public a lot, but I have also respected DH's requests to bottlefeed on certain occasions (i.e. - in front of his family) yes, its a ridiculous request, but his family is weird (aren't all in-laws?) so its just not worth the argument for me.
    Jodie

E - Nov 03
    C - Apr 05
    M - Aug 06

MyFabFour
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    hi eli mae! welcome!!

i tried nursing mia with a cover the other day while we were at the pool and she was having NONE of that LOL!

i watched in a mirror and saw a picture of myself once nursing and you really couldn't see anything at all. and a lot of times no one knew what i was doing either. they just thought i was cuddling the baby LOL! hopefully your dh will grow more comfortable the more you do it when he sees how discreet it can be. i second robyn's suggestion at getting a sling.

something else to consider is wearing layers with the top layer being a button shirt. this way, you're covered from top and side when nursing which lends extra discretion. is warmer in winter too, though i'm not sure which nect of the woods you're in LOL!

i bet there are others in your church that nurse and your dh has never noticed. i hope he's able to be more comfortable with it since you spend a lot of time at church.

picklejuice
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its hard to keep a blanket in place. I have a special cover up blanket in my bag with a safteypin on one corner that I pin to my shoulder. MIght put holes in your clothes but it helps a little. I have also seen some covers online that may help out. I havent bought one yet but my dd is getting pretty frisky under the blanket so I may have to.
    Here is a link to a cover I found:

http://www.pinktaffydesigns.com/miva...y_Code=NURSING

I have nursed in a tube sling before and it works fairly well but you have to practice. I use a peanutshell for that. They are handy and small enough to roll up and put in your bag.

Here is a link to a peanutshell if your interested:
    http://www.goo-ga.com/ps-desc

Good luck to you
    Liz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast