FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Indispensable Items.......

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    babyluv
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like

Indispensable Items.......

Ok, here's a thread for everyone to post items they found (or friends or family found) indispensible for those first weeks at home!! It's a little early but never too soon to plan!!!!

I will go first----copy and paste the list when you add onto it, if you can, so we can keep a check list!!

1) Tons of Burpcloths

2) Little washcloths to put over the wee willie to avoid being it's target during changes

3) Waterproof lap pads, put these on the changing pad so if pooped or peed on, you just wash those, not the whole pad cover.

4) Extra sets of pump bottles, so you aren't washing one all the time OR extra bottles!!

5) nursing bra extenders-helps accomodate engorgement!

6) washable bra pads, at least 6 or more!!

7) MAXI PADS- had to pick these up on the way home, forgot!

8) vaseline and 2 x 2 inch gauze pads if you get baby boy circ'd (rob the bassinett before you leave the hospital for your already paid for leftovers!!! take everything! you've been charged for it already!)

9) Enough newborn diapers to sink a ship (we had to buy preemie, and went thru like 12 a day!!)- Tammie you'll need to sink the Titanic!! ha ha!!

10) FROZEN MEALS- if you have someone who wants to throw you and extra shower, ask for a "frozen casserole" shower. Or a diaper shower for that matter!! (great idea for well meaning work colleagues with questionable taste in baby clothes!!)

11) miracle blanket (erin)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

12) Ultimate Crib sheet (bethb)

13) Side to side swing, I have the old fisher Price and it's GREAT. the new one is pricey but probably worth it!!

14) carseat cover (for winter esp if you live in cold climate)-Kristi in NY

15) Boppy Pillow- for YOUR tushie those first days and to prop baby in- Beth B and Kristi- I had a bean bag one and it was great for nursing. Not sure you can find them anymore. Maybe I will sew one myself!!
    Last edited by babyluv; 04-01-2005 at 11:25 PM.
    babyluv
    #3-It's a Boy! EDC 8/26/05
    Breech- Sch c/s 8/15/05
    Oops, didn't make it!
    Thomas James, b 8/3/05

2. Advertisement

fairymommy
    fairymommy
    has no status.
    Edit
    I'm dumb here but why vaseline? With two of my stinkers being boys I am really curious about this. Can I use something else, I'm allergic to vaseline?
    Thanks for posting this its great for women like me who are going to be totally lost.
    Tammie

Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    well i must be brain dead, i am on no.4 but i cant think of anything else that you havent already thought of. i will keep thinking.
    Linda

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    good idea! us first timers need the tips!

tammie, they use the vaseline gauze so that they can put the moisture & the protective gauze over the circ'd penis and not have the gauze stick to it at all. how allergic are you? if you're really bad, they may have a substitue. but if it's only a mild reaction, maybe you can wear gloves when you change your boys til they don't need the vaseline gauze any more (i'm not sure how long they are going to need it). but, if you opt not to have your little ones circumsized, then you avoid the whole issue all together.

keep the tips coming! when this thread is done, i'm going to print it out and make sure i have it all checked off!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tammy, maybe you could use Auquaphor instead....

Also, miracle blanket....for awesome swaddling...I got two on ebay, it was my first purchase...they were miraculous for my best friends baby...hence, the "miracle" blanket...

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Ohhh thanks babyluv! I really have to start researching so I know what to register for!
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!

fairymommy
    fairymommy
    has no status.
    Edit
    Oh I see... Duh. I am so slow. It is a skin allergy that I have, I could totally use gloves as long as the babies dont get my lovely list of allergies. I am even allergic to Allegra, an allergy medication! Pathetic. Thanks for the help on that one guys.
    Tammie

BethB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    ULTIMATE CRIBSHEET!!!!!!!!!!! You all must have them. They are the greatest baby item ever invented. For those on you having your first let me give you a little insights into changing crib sheets. It is 3:00am and you have just gotten up and realized the baby has spit up in his bed AGAIN. There is no place else to move him so you must change the sheet. First you must wrestle the wet sheet off the bed along with the waterprrof mattress pad. No you must avoid the bumber pad and scrape up at least 4 knuckles to cram another matress pad back on the tightly fitting mattress (for safety) mattress and then repeat the process for the fresh sheet (include scraping a few more knuckles. (Insert cursing here.) You get the bed put back into place and the bumper pad resituated, go back to bed and then an hour later .... repeat

OK so the ultimate crib sheet is a sheet and mattress pad in one. It is completely flat (not fitted) and has 6 snaps that hooks around the crib rails. So when you put it on you still have your cute sheet underneath that shows from the outside of the sheet and then you have this on top. So again it is 3:00 am and you have to change the sheet. You unsnap 6 snaps, put that one off, put another on and 3 minutes you are ready to put that baby back to bed. AWESOME!!!! I swear I am not affilitated with them in any way LOL I was just so excited to find them after wresting changing the cribs all the time with twins. Here is a link. BRU also has them but they are more expensive. SOOOO WORTH IT LADIES!!!!

http://store.yahoo.com/babyabby/43002.html
    BethB

Andrew and Alyssa - 8
    Julia - 3

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just added the ultimate crib sheet to my registry!! Two of them...lol

Babyluv- great suggestions!! What are nursing bra extenders?

babyluv
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    they add an extra 1-2 inches to your bra chest size, snap them onto the bra in the back where the hooks go......

can get them on motherhood.com and in a lot of mat. stores.... very helpful!

i am adding things to my original post and crediting the suggestor. what is miracle blanket??
    babyluv
    babyluv
    #3-It's a Boy! EDC 8/26/05
    Breech- Sch c/s 8/15/05
    Oops, didn't make it!
    Thomas James, b 8/3/05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast