FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
new baby and pets

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SDF
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

new baby and pets

Dh and I are both total dog lovers we have a 1-1/2 yr old Jack Russell Terrier named Daisy. In early January she had puppies (which we planned). We had decided that we would keep a puppy so Daisy would have a playmate. She only had 2 puppies and Dh now wants to keep them both. I am very nervous about having 3 dogs and a new baby the puppies will only be 7 months when the baby is born. For those of you who don't know Jack Russells are very hyper dogs. We do live in the country and plan to fence in the back yard when the ground thaws. But they are still inside dogs and I am just not sure about what we should do.

I would love any advise or opinions. You are all such smart ladies

I do plan to take Daisy and any puppies that we keep to obediance school before the baby is born!!

Thanks for your help,
    Steph
    Steph-28 Nick-29
    IVF/ICSI #1 4-26-04 BFN
    FET #1 8-10-04 BFN
    FET #2 11-16-04 BFP Ryder Wallace born 8-11-05, 9lb 15oz, 21.25in
    FET #3 7-25-06 BFP Cody Nicholas born 4-02-07, 8lbs 15oz, 21 in
    August Hot Momma and LOVE it!!!

2. Advertisement

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep 'em!! Keep 'em!! I know easier said than done but you can train JRT's very easily to be nice to the baby and vice versa!! It'll be a lot of work but I think totally worth it!!

I can't wait to get home from the hospital and lay the baby on the ground and let Digby (our Bichon) smell the baby and learn to love it!! Yes, I said it!! I can't help it!!

Congratulations on your pups!! Very cute!

Aleks
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am also a huge dog lover, so I say Keep Them. My situation is very different as my dog was already 2 years old when my dd was born. She never liked children to begin with and that was always my biggest fear. My dh took a blankie from the hospital and brought it home and layed it on my dog's place. She got used to the smell from the start. She is still not a friendly dog towards my dd but she is not agressive either. She only loves my dd when she has food in her hand. I might be sure she would never hurt the baby but I still never leave those two alone. Your puppies will be still very young and JRT are good to children when brought up with them. As long as they are not neglected they will not feel jelous and they will learn to love the baby for sure! As they are hyper dogs, don't let them jump on the couch or bed and start right from the beginning, not when the baby comes that way they won't resent the baby when you won't let them is her/his presence. That's the only advice I can give you. Good luck.

Aleks
    me-Aleks (33), dh (35)

3 x (tx with immune issues) 2 beautiful girls on baby aspirin and Fragmin injections:
    #1 Adriana b. July/02
    #2 Anika b. Aug/05 aka "Cookie"
    Forever AHM... LYMI!

Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i would probably have to keep them too, how could you keep one and give the other away, how would you choose from those adorable little beings. as long as like the others said right from the start they know no jumping up and stuff like that, and you said you will take them to classes so that will help, i can also see your point of view though we have 2 dogs and it is so much harder with 2, i cant even imagine 3, when we take them for walks they always tug at the lead as the both want to be the one leading and there is the double the hair, and muddy footprints ughhhh, but thats dh's fault he lets them back in without drying thier feet, it drives me insane !!!!!!! we have decided when cilla goes (it probably wont be long )she is quite old and always had health issues, then we will stick with one and not get another, i am home alot so henry wont get lonely (hopefully) although i am sure he will miss her. oh i feel sad now.
    anyway now that i have hijacked your post i havent been much help really have i??? not an easy desision, only you will know whether its right or not. sorry i didnt help much
    Linda

LynnUS
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Being the dog-loving sap that I am, I could never keep one and give the other away either. As long as your yard is fenced and you won't have to walk them, I think keeping both will be fine--just try to get them as trained as possible!
    Our 2 bichons (brothers) were a year old when DD was born and they adored her from day 1--do like Aleks said and bring a blanket home from the hospital.

Good luck--JRT's are such cuties!

Lynn
    JAK, 7/28/05
    MAK, 6/25/01

Baker
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would keep them too. I love my dogs- 2 rottwielers! We live in the country also, so we keep them fenced up. Here is some advice, you may want to purchase an electric wire to put around the bottom of the fence. I say this because our dogs kept digging a hole and getting out. I felt horrible to put up the electric wire and have them shock their nose, but I'd rather them shock their nose than have their guts splattered on the road. Trust me one time, and they NEVER have tried to escape. The wire is not that strong because DH has touched it, and it can be turned off.

Jess
    Me (25) DH (27)

Draven Luke Baker
    August 6, 2005
    7 lbs 1 oz 21 inches
    2 months- 13 lbs 12 ozs 24.5 inches

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I think you should keep them too...but I'd definitely start giving more responsibility to DH if he doesn't have it yet. It will be confusing to them if you "mother" them by feeding and cleaning and then completely tend to your new baby. If he's doing it now, then it won't be as hard for them.

Everyone will adapt...especially if you take them to obedience and let Daisy know that Daddy is the Alpha Dog!
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i have to say keep them too! i think kids and dogs can be best of friends!
    i can't wait for my dog mulligan who is a lab-shepard mix to meet our baby. she is SO excellent with kids. when my nephew was born, she was 5 months old, and they are best buddies now.....they're always in cahoots. what i did do was when i was feeding mully, i'd gently pull her ears, her tail, put my hand by her mouth, and take the food away. i tried to do whatever a child would do so that she would be used to it. she LOVES the kids now (we live in a 3 decker, so my nephews are 8, 6, & 3.5 see her every day) and i wouldn't have it any other way!
    good luck, and def fence in the yard! in the summer it's been a godsend for mully and the kids!
    sarah
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old