FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Maternity clothes fashion questions

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    LynnUS
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Maternity clothes fashion questions

I don't think I've seen them in the stores this time around but I have 3 pairs of pants/jeans that have the stretchy panel that goes all the way up over your belly. Are these totally out of style now? The pants I've bought for this pg just have a thick stretchy band but it sits pretty much under the belly.
    Are these large panel ones passe? I suppose who cares if it doesn't show right?

Question 2: Please be honest now, I won't be offended. I have a pair of pg jeans from my pg w/DD 4 yrs ago that have about a 2" band of zebra-print material around the bottom of each leg. Legs are a bit flared so I think they're "in style" in that respect. Animal prints are in right? Do you think I can still wear these jeans with the zebra trim or would I look like a weirdo?

Thanks for your help--don't want to be written up by the pg fashion police!

Lynn
    JAK, 7/28/05
    MAK, 6/25/01

2. Advertisement

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I love questions like this!!

1. The lower panel jeans/pants are for earlier in pregnancy. The higher/fuller panel that covers the whole belly is for comfort (has nothing to do with style). When your belly is big enough (I guess second, third trimester) that when you wear these for support.

2. Those jeans sound sooooo cute and not at all out of style!!
    If you don't want them, I will send you my address!! LOL, just kidding!! Very cute!!

jenstl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn-
    I am laughing.......I have the same capris, zebra print and all. I wanted to wear them to the park today and I have had the same dilemma, IN STYLE or OUT??
    Well, I am going to go for it.......afterall, it's the park
    If I get strange looks, I will let you know.
    jenstl...an AHM
    mommy to e,d and r

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

mcavy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just found a few pairs of pants from my first pg, now 6 years ago, and they are the tapered leg style. I put them on, thinking, what the heck, I can still wear them, right?? NOPE, totally look 6 years old...
    BUT, I think the animal prints still sound cool! I have to get some new pants to match a shirt I bought for Easter now...
    Michele
    PCO, 34 years old
    7 years
    5 years
    14 months
    Forever AHM!

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The Over-The-Belly pants are soem people's preference - but has nothing to do with style. Ironically, I have never been able to be comfortable with anything on my belly so the band is great for me. Even when we wore leggings all the time, I'd fold them down so they weren't by my belly button.

The zebra pants sound very cute! Definitely wear them! As long as you feel good in them - that's what matters!
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    you girls are funny today....good questions.
    not that i'm a fashion pro, but i was watching oprah a few weeks ago, and she had some fashion people on the show and they said that NO ONE should EVER wear tapered pants. ever. so i'd have to vote no on those michele....good call on that one.
    as for the high panel - i have both types, and find they're both comfy. i almost like the below the belly ones better b/c that's where i'm used to wearing my pants. but the other kind may be better when i have a giant belly.
    as for the animal print, go for it! sounds funky...i like it.
    watch out for the pg fashion police! they're everywhere!
    sarah
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

jeninsfca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree, the Zebra print sounds cool so I would go for it. But if you are bored with the Zebra and want something new, could you cut the zebra cuff off and do a frayed hem? I've seen quite a few frayed hem/cutoff style capris in stores lately.

I am wearing the full panel style of jeans from the gap most of the time now. I don't think it has anything to do with style at all, just what you feel better in. The little demi panel 3" band just hits me in the wrong spot now, but they were working for while. I'm sure they will come in handy in the fall after the baby, though.
    Jen 36, DH 36
    TTC #1 5 years. IVF #1BFN, FET #1 BFP!

Harper, born 7/9/05!

So lucky to be an AHM!

jenstl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lynn-
    I am back from the park.......no strange looks (I don't think).
    In fact, I did get one, "OH, cute, love your capris!!"

So...........go for it.
    The fashion police can arrest us both
    jenstl...an AHM
    mommy to e,d and r

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i think as regards the below the belly type trousers are more 'in' because hipsters are so big now, but i have to say i am the wrong shape for hipsters, i have no hips whatsoever, and a belly (pre preg), not a good look, and they keep falling down, so i like my jeans to come up to my waist, how old fashioned am i LOL as for the over the belly stretchy panel, for some reason i havent seen any either, not that i have been looking hard for maternity wear yet just getting by with old stuff for previous pregnancy, but i do find them much more comfy too, but if your top is not long enough i hate it when you can see the elastic panel bit, H & M do really nice maternity wear with normal waists, but they just come up higher so that when your belly gets big, the waist sits just slightly higher than your belly button, so it dosent matter what length your top is, and inside they have elastic with buttons on the inside at the back so you can adjust the waist size as you grow.

also the zebra print capri's sound just fine.
    Linda

babyluv
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    By all means the capris sound CUTE! you have lots of takers if you don't want to keep them.........

i personally don't like to wear the over the belly style until i get so big that it pushes the under the belly stuff down and it falls off!

now, a little digression on capris----------

believe it or not, i just FINALLY found myself 3 capri pants- 2 at walmart and 1 at old navy. the WALMART ones were 15 bucks, are cotton w/ lycra enough to stretch (5%) and i got khaki and sky blue. the reason they are cute is cause they have wide cuffs at the bottom that give them a little style........the old navy are denim and have the stetchy panel belly and a bit flared with small pockets. phew!! i couldn't believe how great the wal mart ones fit....i had tried on a gazillion pairs all over the place.......and voila! who knew?

Liz Lange always seems to have cute stuff when I am NOT pg. Haven't found anything but a pair of black work pants at Target!

babyluv

babyluv
    #3-It's a Boy! EDC 8/26/05
    Breech- Sch c/s 8/15/05
    Oops, didn't make it!
    Thomas James, b 8/3/05