FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How often are your Doc appts??

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AtoZduo
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Question How often are your Doc appts??

Hi. Maybe I am just getting nervous.. but I think most you might recall how I go to a Peri. Well on my 1st appt. at 11 wks pregnant- I was spotting. She did a quick vaginal exam and said it was old blood....She seemed insensitive and didn't offer an u/s- just to come back in 1 wk. Well I went back in a wk and she took one look at me and said you won't be happy until you get an u/s will you? I said no... She did a quicky u/s on an old machine but at least we could make out two beautiful hb's.
    She did not do a cervical ck or anything, but just said to come back in a little over 4 wks! What? 4 wks.. is that normal with twins or even a singleton at this stage?
    I just would like to hear from everyone on how often you go, and if you are pregnant with multiples, how often should I be getting my cervix checked, etc... My next appt. is 3-22 and we are hoping to see the sexes.. I am just getting anxious and wondering if I am going too long in between appts...
    Andrea
    Ava & Zachary- 7-19-05

Proud to be an AHM

2. Advertisement

bigyellowdog98
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrea

I may not be much help becuase I have been seeing my OB for either spotting or ligament pain in between appointments but... Until my last appt I was scheduled for routines every month. At 17 weeks (last appt) she said to start comming every 3 weeks. At 24-26 I will come every 2 weeks and I am not sure when I start weekly - probably after 30-32 weeks.

I have had 4 u/s so far. My viability check at 6w6d, a check for bleeding/spotting at 11.5 weeks, a check at L&D for ligament pain at 16.5 weeks and another yesterday when I had a tiny amount of spotting. My Level II is Monday. They will check the cervix length then and at each u/s unless I am having problems in between. I don't know about the internals - I have only had them when I have been spotting so far. My OB has said I will have an u/s one a month to check the fetal growth unless they are not equal in which case it would be more frequent. Fetal NST's will start sometime late in the second trimester, not sure how often those will be. I declined the triple screen and amnio.

The other test she will start sometime around 23-24 weeks is the fetal fibronectin test (which actually does require an internal). If it is negative it tells you that you are 99% likely to NOT deliver in the next week, but a positive doesn't mean you are.

I think that is it - my only other advice would be to make sure you really trust/like your OB. If you are unsure or unhappy with her level of care, consider a second opinion! Good Luck!
    Susan 33 Todd 32
    Sarah Ann May 19,2003
    Madison Elizabeth & Emily Grace July 18,2005 - both 5lbs 10 oz at 37w3d

lotus
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know how you feel. My next appiontment is in 4 weeks! eek! Not until I'm 23 weeks along! I also see a peri.

Please keep this in mind that it does not matter when your appointment really is, if you feel there is something wrong (ie get aches, pains, contractions, spotting, etc) call them. My peri must of saw a wierd expression on my face when he said four weeks because he then immediately said that's just when your next scheduled appointment is. If you have any symptoms or questions, just call, and we will see you that day. This has definitely hold true. I've had appointments about once every 3-4 weeks, but I have gone in a couple times in between for colds, aches, contracts, what I thought was wierd discharge, etc. Looking at it in that prespective keeps me moving along

He said you generally get appointments once every 3-4 week until week 26 or so, where I will go to every 2 weeks, then at thirtysomething (I forget what he said) it goes to once every week.

Hope that helps! Hang in there!
    Jen
    / twins, born 7/12/05

Proud to be a "used" AHM!

LynnUS
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I see a maternal/fetal medicine doc at a perinatal center--I think that's just a fancy name for a high-risk group.
    I see him every 2 weeks like clockwork. I've had 4 u/s so far, not counting the 2 my RE did in the beginning.
    Because I have a nasty history of late-term loss and a cerclage, my cervix is checked manually at each visit.
    I forgot at what point exactly the visits become more frequent, but I do know that I'll end up doing non-stress tests every 2 days when I pass 32 weeks or so.

I would tend to think with twins your peri would see you more frequently.

Lynn
    EDD: 8/1
    JAK, 7/28/05
    MAK, 6/25/01

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had so many appointments and I'm actually TRYING to push them off. My regular OB wants to see me every THREE weeks to make sure I'm AOK. I think that's a little overkill and told him that, but he said he wants to be very careful (mainly cuz I'm old)

My RE saw me at 6w3d for a transvaginal u/s, then I was seen at 10w3d with a regular OB and another transvaginal u/s (remember, I'm old and we did this IVF so the OB is REALLY careful with things).

Saw the high risk dude at 12w3d with 3d transvaginal and an u/s (he needed to see the nuchal fold and she was being less than helpful in her position in my uterus, hence the transvaginal)

Hospital did a cervix check and regular u/s at 13w0d due to bleeding

Saw the OB at 15w3d with an u/s (due to bleeding but it was a regularly scheduled visit)

Saw the high risk dr at 17w3d for the Level 2 u/s (and another transvaginal to check the cervix to make sure it was AOK)

Saw OB's nurse practitioner at 18w3d and BEGGED to only be seen in 4 weeks instead of 3. She agreed. So I don't go back to the OB for 4 weeks. I do see the high risk dude at 21w3d

Mind you, I love the pix, but frankly tired of seeing a dr weekly (or almost weekly). They only checked my cervix at the hospital and with a transvaginal because there was a chance it was incompetent. It's not, thank goodness.

In a nutshell, my OB wants me every 3 weeks for checkups.

Amy

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i just see my regular ob, and my appts are every 4-5 weeks (i pushed it to 5 wks this time to be able to get my u/s and appt at the same time).
    i think it depends on your risk, and how many babies are in there how frequently you go in.
    hope all continues to be well!
    sarah
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm...that doesn't sound right if you had a bleed AND have twins. I go every 4 weeks, but have had to go in two extra times for genetic stuff because of my age. I'm actually worried that I don't go enough, but they said I'm fine.

I would check with them to see if you could go in sooner for peace of mind. And if your doctor seems INSENSITIVE, perhaps you should go where you're happier?
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!

mcavy
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am seeing my regular OB (no peri, at least not yet, I may have to if I end up gest. diabetic, like I did last pg) every 4 weeks now. I will go to every 2 weeks at 28 weeks, and weekly after 36-37 weeks. BUT, I get my testing done in between, so I saw my OB last week, will have my u/s 2 weeks from then, and then see her again at 20 weeks. I saw her ALOT more with my first 2 pgs where I had issues (ranging from debilitating m/s, to colds, dizziness, high BP, you name it) I just don't seem to be having the issues this time, so I am doing the "normal" pg schedule thing. Now, if I end up GD, that will all change. I'm being tested at 24 weeks instead of the usual 28 due to my history of it with the last pg. And if I'm +, she will refer me for a consult to the peri I saw last time to manage that end of things. Anytime something comes up, she sees me more often. I won't get any cervical checks until I think 28 weeks and then the last few weeks of pg, unless there is some reason to check (no history of IC).
    I know with twins it's more frequent, though, usually because you see a peri on top of the OB, or just seeing the OB they will usually see you more. I would definately ask if you aren't comfortable, that is what they are paid for And paid well, I might add!
    Michele
    PCO, 34 years old
    7 years
    5 years
    14 months
    Forever AHM!

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see an ob for my appointment. Not high risk. Just one little guy, or girl in there. I go every four weeks. Later i will go every two weeks, then every week. Not sure what the weeks are but what Michele said sounds right.

Good luck! I hope everything continues to go well and the weeks fly by for you!!

Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    in england it is every 4 weeks, with your first, then 2 weekly from 30 weeks, then weekly from 38 weeks (i think), but with 2nd etc it much less especially at the beguining, i saw my midwife at 8 weeks, my doctor at 12 weeks, scan at 12 weeks (at hospital) and i see my midwife next appointment is end of next week, so thats about 6-7 weeks in between those appointments, BUT having said that i would imagine that with twins and a history of spotting/bleeding you would be seen much more regularly??
    Linda

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast