FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
help with food!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

help with food!

hi girls....
    i'm looking for some advice. i'm having the HARDEST time eating well. i honestly haven't changed my diet at all because i'm having such a hard time with it. i have never been a big fruit/veggie girl....i do like some, but i probably don't even eat one a day. i'm starting to have a fruit a day, but the veggies are hard.
    my breakfast every morning consists of cereal (capt'n crunch....i LOVE the capt'n!)....which all in all isn't that bad. it's nutrient fortified, and has lots of calcium since i have a lot of milk too. and dinner time isn't all that bad either....most of the time i make a meal (chicken, meat, pasta)....we'll eat out 1-2 times a week, too...pizza, burgers.
    my main problem is lunch. if i was able to eat lunch meat, i'd be better off. (how bad is lunch meat to eat, anyway? is it just so-so bad, or really really bad?). but because i am on the road for lunch EVERY day (i'm a VNA RN) i find myself having chicken nuggets from mcdonalds 1-2 times a week, or a breakfast sandwich from dunkin' donuts. all fast food, loaded with fat, and SO not good for me.
    i can't think of a thing to pack for lunch that i can bring with me and eat cold. any ideas? and i don't want to go to a restraunt and eat b/c i don't want to spend a lot of $$ on food each day.
    HELP!! i'm in an eating dilemma...i want to do what's good for the baby, but i feel like i have no options out there for food!
    thanks for any help and ideas!
    sarah
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

2. Advertisement

Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    hmmm, what about a cold pasta salad with tuna and mayo (of course not fresh mayo )that you can make at home and keep in a cool bag, i must admit i am finding it hard also, but i dont have the added fact that you are out on the road every day that must make it doubly hard, my problem is i just dont fancy anything !!! i tend to eat toast or cereal, or sometimes soup, i have gone right off meat, weird cause that was all i wanted with the last pregnancy, i am also not good at remembering to take my vitamins, . or can you get take out jacket potato while on the road?? with a filling like baked beans (do you get those ??)and cheese, is good for you for protein etc, dont really know what to suggest, do you like sandwiches? can you make a pcked lunch at home?

good luck with finding stuff to eat.
    Linda

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    i can make sandwiches to take on the road, but i have heard that eating lunch meat during pregnancy is not good because of all the preservatives in the lunch meat! i used to have a few turkey sandwiches a week, and i loved them....they saved me $$ by letting me bring my lunch along, and they're yummy! can i eat lunch meat? what's the verdict?
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

lotus
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if this is the wisest thing, but I eat whatever I feel like which tends to be foods that I dont end up throwing up later that day.

I really do feel that your body will know what it wants and needs. My MIL gave me one of those weekly pregnancy books. When I started reading it, it had what seemed like endless lists of "don't dos". After one paragraph I didnt read it anymore. There's too much stress is this pregnancy with all we've gone through already.

So I'd say go ahead and eat that turkey sandwich. We are all smart people here and wont go with the junk-food only diet I've been told the same thing by many mothers, anything is OK in moderation, just as if you weren't pregnant
    Jen
    / twins, born 7/12/05

Proud to be a "used" AHM!

Aleks
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have to reply to the lunch meat thing. I am Polish and I love my kielbasa. I love my cold cuts and I did not give it up at all. Of course I eat it in moderation (there are more nutritious things I can subsitute it with) but I never thought this being bad for you while pg. I thing that smoked turkey or chicken or pate or just cheese is just fine. Avoid the processed stuff. Load the sandwich (preferably on whole wheat or muligrain bun or bread) with lettuce and there you have a bit of veggie. Add few baby carrot and those bite size tomatoes or even celery sticks or raddish if you like. It's all good.
    Now instead going to McDonalds, try Subway Submarine or other small deli places that serve egg salad or grilled chicken sundwiches. I know it is hard in you profession cause my mom does the same thing but what she does sometimes is bring left overs from previous day and warms it up at a client. We all need to eat at some point so the clients are understanding. Also you can try Chicken fajitas at Taco or grilled chicken salad at McD if you don't have much of a choice.
    Last thing is the fruit and veggies. I don't know if you like it, but you could try drinking fresh squeezed apple, orange or carrot juice for a change. They are loaded with vitamins and nutriens.
    I hope it helped a bit. Good luck.

Aleks
    14w4d
    me-Aleks (33), dh (35)

3 x (tx with immune issues) 2 beautiful girls on baby aspirin and Fragmin injections:
    #1 Adriana b. July/02
    #2 Anika b. Aug/05 aka "Cookie"
    Forever AHM... LYMI!

LynnUS
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is a pain, but to avoid the nitrates and other junk in lunchmeat--also a lysteria threat--you can grill or bake your own turkey breast then make sandwiches from it for the week. Do sandwiches on whole wheat bread or make roll-ups on whole wheat tortillas. Or buy a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store and make sandiwiches or chicken salad from that. Throw in a yogurt, or carrots or celery sticks with peanut butter or cheese.
    You can also do a salad with some chicken or garbanzo beans on it with dressing on the side to keep it fresh.

I know it's hard, especially when you don't have a taste for healthy stuff but give it a try!

Lynn
    EDD: 8/1 It's a GIRL!
    JAK, 7/28/05
    MAK, 6/25/01

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmm - you do need help with food! Especially if you're trying to sell me the fact that Cap't Crunch is nutritious

I don't know your tastes well enough to suggest things...but I'll try.

Get a six pack of Tropicana pure premium Calcium & Vitamin D fortified orange juice. It comes with a straw, easy to drink in your car and is great for your iron absorbtion for your pre-natals...you are taking pre-natals, right??????

Do you like gummy bears? I love the Brach's Hi-C fruit snacks. They come in individual packets and taste exactly like gummy bears. They have 100% vitamin C...again easy to travel.

I've been buying the Kellog's nutri-grain cereal bars (I like vanilla) because they have yogurt in them and lots of vitamins (that you may been missing from not eating veggies)

Don't know if you're getting enough calcium, but I also have been getting the pre-wrapped cheese squares. I'm not huge on them...but I have them around just in case.

They say you should have protein at every meal. That's the hardest for me because the only thing that makes me sick right now is eggs. If you do get the eggs, they have new ones by Natures Wonder (or something) that have 3 times as much omega-3 which is what the baby needs for smahts -with a Boston accent

Lunch is definitely hard. I'm still trying to figure out the deli meat situation! Is it okay if it's heated? That way the new heated subs at subway may be okay. If you're going to McD's...can you at least have the grilled chicken sandwich? I know it has mayo - but at least it has some lettuce and tomato. Otherwise...take a second to go to Boston Market or Subway for a tuna sub.

For dinner - try to make something good/fresh and make sure you have protein. If you're getting a pizza...can you add meatballs? Try to have a salad every night. If you don't like actual veggies...sometimes different salads are tolerable.

Those are my tips...you're probably sticking your tongue out at me
    But when you've done the IVF's...your DH sometimes will not allow Cap't Crunch
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!

jeninsfca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with what so many of the others have said about pregnancy being full of so many off-limits things and fear. And I'm with you that lunch is one of the hardest meals, especially if you are out and about. I struggle with it everyday because I work in an area with very few restaurants and my options are fast food or deli sandwhiches. I have been avoiding lunch meats mainly because of the listeria concern, something my OB discussed with me at the first visit. I know that listeria is not that common and the risk is small, but I also know that if I ate a turkey sandwich and later my stomach so much as gurgled, I would worry. It's just one of those risk vs. benefit things that everyone has to weigh out for themselves. My solution: cheese sandwhiches either homemade or from a deli. I also make a lot of salads with beans and shreddded cheeses for protein, or hard boiled eggs. I've done the rotisserie chicken thing, too, which I can pick up at a grocery store near by along with a bagged salad and some fruit and yogurt. On the days that I just can't resisit a burger and fries, I just eat some super healthy snacks and dinner and don't stress.
    Jen 36, DH 36
    TTC #1 5 years. IVF #1BFN, FET #1 BFP!

Harper, born 7/9/05!

So lucky to be an AHM!

jeninsfca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Flea...we were posting at the same time. What I've read is that heated meats are fine as long as they are "steaming". Here's some info on it: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/lm_tearsheet.htm

I'd eat a cold turkey sandwich before tuna, though, because of the mercury. I know, I know...whole new issue there but I'm a semi-granola California chick that drives a Prius, what can I say.
    Jen 36, DH 36
    TTC #1 5 years. IVF #1BFN, FET #1 BFP!

Harper, born 7/9/05!

So lucky to be an AHM!

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I know, I know...but if I do have tuna...I don't eat any other fish for the rest of the week.

I can't eat the egg salad because...well I just can't right now and top all of this off with the fact that I can't eat meat on Fridays!!!!!! It's really hard.

PS San Fran Jen...you should vote too! Do you have any guesses???
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast