FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
had my nuchal scan today

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

had my nuchal scan today

it went really well, my risk with my age was 1 in 300, and is now 1 in 1620, aparantly thats the risk of a 15 year old hey how about that!!, but oh my god was i in pain, i am horribly constipated at the moment, and i have IBS, TMI ? LOL so was having horrible pains down there anyway, and because of my c-cection scare she had to go from above (as the scare causes a shadow) so she had to push and jiggle really hard to get the baby to move so she could get the measurement clearly, he/she was quite happily asleep, and laying with his/her back against the womb wall, so she wanted it to jump away, well he/she woke up eventually and it was nice to see the baby kicking away and waving its arms but oh was it agony. and also the trisomy 18+31 (i actually dont know what that is testing for but it is another chromosonal thing) went from 1in 503 to 1 in 4711, which is also very good she said, i wish we had gentetic counceling like you do, and i would know what that meant. oh well it sounds good anyway. . so my next scan is on 4 april looking forward to that, hope the baby is co-operative that day and not being shy and hiding the 'you know what'
    Linda

2. Advertisement

wintak
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are great numbers! You must be so happy. I know they had to wake up my baby at various time to get "her" off the back of the uterus.

Congratulations on another worry out of the way!

Amy

sarahp
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    awesome lindey!! now you must believe you're preggo for real! i'm glad all your risks when down to that of a 15 year old! LOL!! congrats!
    Sarah (32) & Bobby (32)
    Cami ~ 6yrs old
    Adam ~ 4yrs old

jeninsfca
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so happy to see your post Lindey! Hooray!!! I was just (finally) updating the chart and was wondering how your scan went. Now I can fill in the "expecting" column for you since we officially know that it's just one in there!

Great news on you nuchal results! Sorry your IBS was giving you trouble, it doesn't seem fair because you waited so long for this. I hope you are feeling better soon.
    Jen 36, DH 36
    TTC #1 5 years. IVF #1BFN, FET #1 BFP!

Harper, born 7/9/05!

So lucky to be an AHM!

LynnUS
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lindey you spring chicken you! What a great nuchal. Don't those great odds just make you feel so much more confident? My baby was also happily asleep at the start of the nuchal--we had to do lots of jiggling to start him/her hopping. Then he/she turned its back toward the camera as if to say "Dont' bother me" too funny!

Glad all is great with you!

Lynn
    EDD: 8/1/05
    JAK, 7/28/05
    MAK, 6/25/01

lotus
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is really great news! Everything seems to be going great for you so far! I'm so happy for you!!

Have you tried several dried prunes a day? I'm worked for me so far. Have you asked your OB about over-the-counter meds? I hope you find something that works soon!
    Jen
    / twins, born 7/12/05

Proud to be a "used" AHM!

punky
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Lindey! I am so happy that you finally got to see your pumpkin!! I am really thrilled for you! I was waiting and waiting for you to tell us!! YAY!! Awesome results.

Trisomy 18 is a severe problem with the 18th chromosome. Trisomy 18 is a syndrome associated with the presence of a third (extra) number 18 chromosome.

Trisomy 18 is a relatively common syndrome affecting approximately 1 out of 3,000 live births and affecting girls more than three times as often as boys. Multiple abnormalities are associated with the presence of an extra number 18 chromosome, many which are not compatible with more than a few months of life. Few infants survive beyond the first year.

Common findings include low birth weight, mental retardation, low-set ears, malformed ears, small jaw (micrognathia), hand abnormalities, congenital heart disease, hernias, and cryptorchidism. There may be many other abnormalities noted.

Lindey
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks erin for that info you truly are a wealth of information, so thats good to be low risk for that then, the sonographer kind of brushed it of as a 'chromosonal thing', i suppose seeing as i was low risk there was no point in going into huge detail?

thanks girls for your kind words, it really was a great day yesterday, it seems like a lifetime waiting to finally SEE that there was something 'in there'
    Linda