FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
worried about my progesterone

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    CHRISC
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

worried about my progesterone

I have been on supplemental progesterone since before I was pregnant due to a history of miscarriages. I went off of the supositories at about 6 weeks as my doc didn't feel it was needed any more and my body would take over. Well a week later my level had fallen from 29 to 14. He then had me take 400mg of prometrium (progesterone) daily until now. He said at 10 weeks it is no longer needed because my placenta takes over production. He assured me everything is fine and is not ordering any more blood tests. I will not have another appointment for 3 weeks. I am so worried. Has anyone else had any experience with this?

Chris

2. Advertisement

LynnUS
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would see if you can get your doc to let you stay on the prometrium until 12 weeks just to be extra sure. Or maybe you have some left you can just take?

As an immune patient, progesterone is something my RI doc pays close attention to. He has me on prometrium until 16 WEEKS. My peri thinks this is outgrageous but hey better safe than sorry right?

I can tell you, even though you aren't getting blood tests, I'll bet your prog levels on prometrium are plenty high. Mine are up over 50.

Hope this helps!

Lynn
    JAK, 7/28/05
    MAK, 6/25/01

Aleks
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been on progesterone supossitories since right after my ovulations until now. I am 11 wks and my ob told me to finish what I have (2 more days) and finish as it is no longer needed. I never had my prog levels checked, it was more preventative measure as I also have history of m/c and I am also an immune patient. I have followed a lot of post re progest. and when to stop. As far as I remember majority of pg ladies stopped somewhere bet 10-12 wks. Apperantly the placenta takes over the productions of progesterone after 10 wks and you no longer need the supplements. I am not too worried as my doc confirmed it for me couple of days ago. Hope this helps a bit. Best wishes.

Aleks
    11wk1d
    me-Aleks (33), dh (35)

3 x (tx with immune issues) 2 beautiful girls on baby aspirin and Fragmin injections:
    #1 Adriana b. July/02
    #2 Anika b. Aug/05 aka "Cookie"
    Forever AHM... LYMI!

angelice
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been taking prometrium 2x daily since 2 days after ovulation. My progesterone levels haven't increased much and after 4 checks, my RE has just told me to continue until my 12th week. He has released me to my OB, so I'm assuming we won't be testing it anymore.

angelice
    me 33 & dh 37
    Nicholas Lawrence 5lb 14oz & 19 in
    Jackson Lee 6lb 10oz & 19 1/2 in
    Baby #3 due Dec. 29, 2006

flea
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I was taking the shots and my RE took me off them at 6+ weeks. I was so scared that I called the nurse and asked if I could continue with the suppositories.
    I agree with the other girls. If you are uncomfortable with that decision, please call and ask if you can continue. It won't hurt!
    Me ~ 41 DH ~ 38
    English Bulldog ~ Sparky ~ 11
    IVF/ICSI Born 08/05 Delaney AKA Laney Girl
    AHM's ~ Love you! Mean it!!