FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Prayers please....

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like

Prayers please....

I am letting myself get all anxious about this! Ugh, have to talk myself down on this one.
    Anway, we saw the nuerosurgeon today. I really thought she was going to look at his head and have a little chat about whether or not he would need a helmet...NOPE, not at all what I expected.

She basically glanced at his head, felt around and said "He'll outgrow it. It may never be perfect but as he grows it will round out and no one will ever be able to tell."
    THEN she goes on to say what she is more concerned about is the curve on his spine that she saw on x-ray. She is scheduling him for an MRI and was throwing around terms like "spina bifida occulta", "tethered spine", "split spinal cord"....OH MY GOD. I was having such a hard time absorbing it all because I didn't even know we were going to discuss his back much less hear what I heard. I keep telling myself it is probably nothing and everything is going to be fine but then again doesn't every mom tell herself that? It isn't always OK!!

I wasn't going to post any of this but I really need prayer and support on this one.....I am freaking out and I am usually not an over-reacter.

I think the thing that shocked me the most was when she SHOWED me the curve (which I had never spotted before) and told me it was signifigant and that babies don't have scoliosis for no reason and that we needed to get to the bottom of what was causing it. This is my baby's spinal cord we are talking about here!
    I am a ball of nerves today.
    DD (8)
    DD (5) ~ our beautiful gift through adoption
    DS (2)
    Shocked to find out #4 is on it's way (Due Date 12/10/12)

2. Advertisement

Tess914
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh gosh, I will keep your baby in my prayers and wish you the strength to get through all of this. Hugs to you all...
    TESS
    Me/DH 38
    3 IUI's BFN
    IVF#1 BFP Beta#1 6/23 135, Beta Hell: #2 6/27 203, Beta#3 6/29 270-RE said prob nonviable, Beta #4 7/3 819! US 7/12 =
    IVF#2 6/08, IVF#3 9/08, IUI#4 11/08 - BFN
    IVF#4 1/09 BFP! 1st Beta 282, 2nd 597! It's B/G TWINS! [/B][/I]!

BUNKER
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    You are in my prayers. Hopefully this has been caught early and will be fixed. You are not over reacting. Our job is to worry for our kids.
    We do know his growth is good right? And he is a happy healthy boy. And the doc seems to want an answer quickly which is always nice.
    Sending you positive vibes!!!
    Holly (35), DH (35)
    6/29/04

L was born 1-26-07
    M was born 7-24-09

J&FM2005
    tired:-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Oh sweet Amy. My heart is aching for you right now. I will lift you and your family up in prayers.

I know this will not ease your burden, but I want you to know that my mom has spin bifida occulta and has led a normal and healthy life.

If you need anything, and I mean ANYTHING, please call me.
    Jillian 33 DH 39
    DD Emily 3/19/99 PDD, Epilepsy
    IVF#1 11/08 BFP - DD Madi 7/22/09

DS John our sweet little miracle born 12/16/2010 at 34w5d

DMS721
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Tired
    Amy, sorry to hear this. I will keep you and little Gabe in my prayers.

Dawn

Michellei
    My schedule is overwhelming...yet here I am on FT!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amy, I'm so sorry to hear this. You and your family are in my prayers.

Doctors get so used to certain words and terms that it seems to flow out of their mouth so easily leaving the patient..or momma in this case, a nervous wreck. And, many times they are just thinking out loud.

Just breathe. I remember when Lizzy was a baby and her eyes starting moving (dancing around). Her ped. started talking about cancer (nueroblastoma). I couldn't eat for days until the test results were back. And, it turns out that she has nothing near to what the dr. was saying to us that day. He had pretty much told me that she wouldn't live to see her first b-day. That was such hog wash! And, it put my dh and I into panic mode and we didn't need to be.

So...breathe. Once you all have a definitive answer, you can start to worry and then you can turn that worry into action (if it gets to that). But for now, it could be something very very simple.

Michellei
    Caffeine junkie married to a PB junkie...15+ years
    DD #1 8yrs. DD #2 6yrs
    DD #3 2yrs

BC-MiracleTwins
    Back on the IVF road for baby #4 !!! 2013!
    Board Coordinator
    Over 5,000 Post BC-MiracleTwins's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Many hugs. I will keep your baby in my thoughts and hope you get better news.
    *~* Proud Mommy of *~*
    Twin Angels~ Taryn & Anthonie-James (b/d March 2007)
    Living Miracle Twins~ Austin & Trinity (May 2008)
    Our Newest member~ Abigail (Sept 2010)

Baby #4 on HIS way!!

Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for your encouraging words and giving me the OK to get freaked out.

Bunker, you are right about his growth. He is growing perfectly and developmentally he is doing awesome (DH keeps reminding me of this)!

Jillian, I had a feeling when I posted this that someone would day that they or someone they know had SBO. I read last night that they think about 25% of the population has it but that it often times does not ever have any symptoms and is only caught accidentally. Part of me is really thinking that this may be what he has because one of the signs is when they have a dimple, mole or birth mark at the place where the back is affected.....Gabe does have this. I'm not going to jump to conclusions but I am preparing myself that we may be hearing that is what he has. (BTW, I'm glad your mom has no complications).

I have spoken to a friend and my SIL both who know babies who had the tethered cord and had surgery to do a "release" and even though it is spinal surgery, it is fairly uncomplicated and recovery is usually quick. I think I am just one of those people that needs to do the research to see what "could be" so that when I get the news I am not blindsided you know?

I think part of my nervousness is because one of my best friends daughter (21 months old) just had to have MAJOR 5-hour spinal surgery two weeks ago. Long story but it isn't pretty and this little girl is going to have a lot of challenges to overcome. THe scary part was that she was developing perfectly....climbing, crawling, walking, running. So I think just having watched my friend go through that had me a little extra "on edge". Spinal cord stuff just freaks me out!

Michellei, I am so sorry you had to go through that scare with your daughter
    (I love that you use that word hog wash...my DH uses that expression and the girls have both picked it up and it is hilarious when they use it in a sentence)!

I will keep you guys posted and I am SO very grateful for all your prayers.
    DD (8)
    DD (5) ~ our beautiful gift through adoption
    DS (2)
    Shocked to find out #4 is on it's way (Due Date 12/10/12)

Lovey1226
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    OH Amy- LOTS of prayers! And like you I would be using Doctor Google to help me research. It will not only help you prepare, but prepare to to know what questions you need to ask.

So, sorry you are going thru this. The unknown sucks, but sometimes you need to turn stuff like this over for "someone" else to handle when ti feels so overwhelming. Keep the faith, it will work out, as it always does.

Hugs for Gabe and also for your friend's little one. These little people just need to all stay healthy!

Keep us updated!
    Kim (35) & Dh (35)-
    CJ (7-18-08) Miracle of domestic adoption!
    CC (8-13-09) Natural Surprise

Charmian
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charmian

mommy to angel baby
    Joshua Robert b/d Feb 9, 04 @ 25wks 6days via emergency c-section.
    Suspected PROM at 16wks 5 days, severe oligohydramnios and PTL.
    Surprise EDD 08/11/09, scheduled c section.
    Welcome ~Brodie Steven William~ our rainbow baby, July 20, 2009 9:53am at 36wks6days 6lbs 5 oz 19.5 inches Mommy and Daddy are in love

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast