FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
How quickly do you respond to LO?

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like

How quickly do you respond to LO?

I have been wondering this a lot lately (you wouldn't think that I have done this for 3 other children)!

How quickly do you respond to LO when they fuss at night? I am starting to think I am going in too quickly. During the day it is easy to figure if he is waking because he is hungry but at night???

Last night I heard Gabe doing his squirming/grunting/fussy thing he does and I got out of bed but then he got quiet so I went back to sleep. A half hour later he started again. Since it had been 5 hours since he ate I got up to feed him. I'm thinking that I should have let him go though. He did nurse but it was kind of a lazy feeding, not like the kind when he is really hungry.

Do you wait until you hear crying? I had always heard that if they are crying then they have reached the hungry period but that you should try to address their need before they reach that point. I don't see how you can apply that at night.

Also, who hasn't moved LO to their own room yet? Gabe is still in the newborn napper part of his pack-n-play (though he is about to outgrow it) and is sleeping in the office (connected to our room). We set up a crib last weekend in the office so that I could transition him. He is not crazy about it and will only sleep a short time in it. I had read about building a "nest" so they feel more cozy in their crib but still no luck!!
    DD (8)
    DD (5) ~ our beautiful gift through adoption
    DS (2)
    Shocked to find out #4 is on it's way (Due Date 12/10/12)

2. Advertisement

Charmian
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brodie has been in his nursery in his crib since we brought him home and has always slept well in there at night.
    For the longest time he was only waking up once at about 3:30 or 4am. Last week I heard him wake but he was only cooing etc. I left him as he wasn't crying and he went back to sleep on his own after about 15 min. Now he doesn't wake at that time at all and sleeps right through til anywhere between 6am and 8am...I always go to him once he starts crying, but if he is just talking, playing etc I leave him....
    Charmian

mommy to angel baby
    Joshua Robert b/d Feb 9, 04 @ 25wks 6days via emergency c-section.
    Suspected PROM at 16wks 5 days, severe oligohydramnios and PTL.
    Surprise EDD 08/11/09, scheduled c section.
    Welcome ~Brodie Steven William~ our rainbow baby, July 20, 2009 9:53am at 36wks6days 6lbs 5 oz 19.5 inches Mommy and Daddy are in love

SYP28
    has no status.

Post Thanks / Like
    My LO gets up sometimes at night but I usually leave her. When she starts crying then I know that she is hungry. Majority of the times she doesn't cry and just falls right back to sleep on her own. My LO sleeps in her crib all the time unless she gets up for food and then we usually put her in the bed for the reminder of the night in order for us to get some sleep to go to work.

Michellei
    My schedule is overwhelming...yet here I am on FT!
    Post Thanks / Like
    When Brooklyn wakes up during the night, she starts with grunting and moving a lot. She then escalates to being fussy, this is when I get her and feed her.

She will not sleep in her crib. She won't even lay in it for more than 10 min. without getting downright mad. She sleeps in her carrier. I know this isn't good...but all my girls have been like this. I'll transition her to her crib sometime soon. But, she is attached to sleeping in her carrier much more than my older girls. So, I don't know how I'm going to transition her. I do know that I will loose a lot of sleep when I do start making her sleep in her crib. Right now, when she wants to eat at night, all I do is reach down beside me (where her carrier is) and pick her up. I also change her diaper during that time.
    Michellei
    Caffeine junkie married to a PB junkie...15+ years
    DD #1 8yrs. DD #2 6yrs
    DD #3 2yrs