FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Taking LO out

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking LO out

So, how much are you taking your LO's out and about with it being cold/flu season? I know your babies are all several weeks older than Gabe and have a better immunity built up. I can not recall what my ped. said about it. I just read an article that said keep him away from crowds until 4 weeks old.

The flu is just rampant around here right now. I am far from a germaphobe but I feel like I need to use hand sanitizer constantly when we are out! It's just not realistic to stay in all the time. Since DD is in school I'm sure we will get our share of germs brought home anyway.

How are you handling it?
    DD (8)
    DD (5) ~ our beautiful gift through adoption
    DS (2)
    Shocked to find out #4 is on it's way (Due Date 12/10/12)

2. Advertisement

BUNKER
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take him out everywhere. I did the same with DD. I remember one of the peds saying "she isn't a house plant" about DD. Get her out there. It helps with PPD too I think. I just wouldn't let anyone touch him.
    Are you a Steelers fan?.....oh, no this changes our whole dynamic....E A G L E S Eagles!!!!
    Holly (35), DH (35)
    6/29/04

L was born 1-26-07
    M was born 7-24-09

Lovey1226
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    OMG- Steeler's for real? Sorry about Big Ben finally falling to us (yep a Bengal's fan here). Yeah, I agree with Bunker, we have a problem...

Football aside...

Callie has gone on lots of trips to Target, the grocery store and to the zoo. However, she's either riding in her sling or in the stroller. I am finding myself increasingly paranoid as flu season is coming. Last year, DS never got ill, but I did.

They'll get sick eventually. With my DS- his first real illness was caused by a shot reaction - that was just in July, poor kid. The worst illness time here is between Nov and April (Turkey to Tax time is how I remember it).

I hope everyone stays healthy!!!
    Kim (35) & Dh (35)-
    CJ (7-18-08) Miracle of domestic adoption!
    CC (8-13-09) Natural Surprise

J&FM2005
    tired:-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I have taken Madi out a lot - probably more than I should have. However, I almost always carry her in my sling. People are much less likely to touch her that way.

We are not doing the church nursery until after flu season and we are hand washing Nazis.

But, they all get sick eventually. DD E was sick ALL the time until she was 8. Now, knock on wood, she just gets the crud a couple of times a year.
    Jillian 33 DH 39
    DD Emily 3/19/99 PDD, Epilepsy
    IVF#1 11/08 BFP - DD Madi 7/22/09

DS John our sweet little miracle born 12/16/2010 at 34w5d

AMF
    thinks Molly's status is a hoot!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    Hi All..long time no post, good to see all the babies doing so well.

As for us as trying to avoid illness, it's been tough. I don't see how we are going to avoid it. My two year old has croup. We too are handwashing like mad, and trying to keep the two little ones in seperate areas of the house.

I have put Jonah in the church nursery a couple of times, but may not do it again....I guess I just don't know how we're going to handle all of this. It's so scary listening to the 'predictions' etc

I was advised that the best thing we could do is to get the flu shot all around (older ds already has had the FluMist) and perhaps the H1N1 shot, if I got as we are breastfeeding...that might offer more protection..I just don't know...

Have you all considered either the sesonal flu (which I really want to get) and or the Swine flu shots?

Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL! Yea, football, my husband is an INSANE Steeler's fan! Gabriel has a bunch of clothes, bibs, blankets, toys etc. with the logo (thanks to family in PA). DD had a cheerleader outfit before she could even walk. Those people are CRAZY!! They aren't having a good year, it's not looking pretty.

AMF, we aren't doing the H1N1 shot. We will all get the regular flu shot (well except Gabriel). The research I have done on the H1N1 vaccine didn't settle well with me. For me it brought back thoughts of what happened in 1976 when they rushed to put out a vaccine. I guess everyone just needs to do their research and do what's best for themselves and their family. It is so controversial.
    DD (8)
    DS (2)

AMF
    thinks Molly's status is a hoot!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Amused
    You're right Amy, it is up to everyone to do what they think is the right thing..it's just so hard when there are so many unknowns..and like you said, the things that happened in '76 are pretty scary. Hey I was 5 then..you think I might have some natural immunities to this swine flu?

Just kidding.

I certainly don't want the discussion to turn ugly...just wondering what others are thinking..I too am thinking along the same lines as you.

janslem
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bring Carson out all the time. I really dont have a choice.

Saints fan here!!!

I am not sure about the H1N1 shot, we have gotten the regular flu shot already.
    What happened in 76? I was born in 77 so i am lost.

Janslem
    dx PCOS in 1995, hypothyriod in 1999
    6 injection cycles with 2 IUI!
    1 5/03, 1 chemical 10/01,
    1 blighted ovum 12/03

Braelyn Claire born 4/25/07

Carson Paul born 7/15/09

McKenna
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Both of my older DDs are sick with fevers right now (as per my post on the GP board). They have classic flu symptoms. Middle DD's temp was up to 104 today. I've been trying so hard to keep Gabby from getting sick, but earlier today her temp was 99.6. We're watching her very closely.

With my older girls, I took them out everywhere as young infants. They were never sick. With Gabby, I am more cautious because I have to be. But I think babies without major health risks can be taken out and about with no problems.
    McKenna

Me (34) DH (35) Together 19 years!

#1 M(8.5) SPD, ADHD, AD-NOS
    #2 O(6.5) SPD
    #3 G (7/11/09 - 11/20/09) Down syndrome, congenital heart defects, subm. CP, syndactyly - died in my arms after open-heart surgery
    #4 L (7 mos) ASD heart defect - closed by 6 mos

6.5 years of IF

There is always a choice - choose life!

Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by janslem View Post

What happened in 76? I was born in 77 so i am lost.
    I was born in '74 so I don't exactly remember it either. Google the "1976 swine flu" and you will get a lot of info on it. Here it is in a nutshell (from Wikipedia):

Overall, there were 1098 cases of Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS) recorded nationwide by CDC surveillance, 532 of which were linked to the NIIP vaccination, resulting in death from severe pulmonary complications for 25 people, which, according to Dr. P. Haber, were probably caused by an immunopathological reaction to the 1976 vaccine. Other influenza vaccines have not been linked to GBS, though caution is advised for certain individuals, particularly those with a history of GBS. [33] [34][35] Still, as observed by a participant in the immunization program, the vaccine killed more Americans than the disease did.[
    DD (8)
    DS (2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast