FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Gabriel Asher's birth story

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like

Gabriel Asher's birth story

OK, I think things have settled down a bit and I can sit down and remember the details of Gabriel’s birth.

On Saturday night we had FIL, MIL and DH’s cousin over for dinner. I had been having contractions every 5 minutes (and bloody show ever since that nurse checked me and I was at 4-5 cm.). Contractions were very noticeable all evening but not painful. After dinner we put the kids to bed and we all played cards until they left at about 10:30.

At that point I sat on my bed with my laptop and caught up on posts on FT. I had just replied to McKenna’s post and got my first strong contraction at 11:00. I had to breathe through it and it was the same kind of contraction that started off DD’s labor. I got 3 of these at 10 minutes apart. The next 2 were 4 minutes apart and then they moved to about 2-1/2 minutes apart all within a ½ hour. I got in the shower to make sure that things didn’t slow down….they didn’t so I knew this was it.

DH called his mom to come back over. I packed up a few more things and DH was getting stuff loaded in the car. This was when I posted to you guys that were were headed to the hospital. I went upstairs to wake up DD and tell her that her brother was going to be born! I got a big contraction when I was leaving her room but I still felt fine between contractions so I thought we were OK. We left for the hospital about 12:25. We called L&D to tell them we were on our way. It was pouring rain so speeding was out of the question. I sent out a text to everyone we were supposed to let know that we were going to the hospital. Then things shifted….

All of a sudden my contractions went from 1-2 minutes apart and bearable to very close together and OH MY GOD! I felt my body kind of go inside itself and I had to really concentrate to get through them (I knew my labor had shifted and looking back I was obviously in transition). The hospital is about 25 minutes away and I just stared at the clock telling myself to just get through this and then I could get in the bath when I got to the hospital.

We pulled up in front of the hospital about 12:50. It took about 5 minutes or so to get from that point and up to L&D (I had to push my wheelchair because I needed something to lean on). We get to the registration desk and I am dying. They are handing DH registration paperwork!!! I couldn’t believe it, I already pre-registered and we still had to do this. Meanwhile DH is asking me how to spell the names of the antibiotics that I am allergic to!!!! Then he is asking the nurse how to spell it and they are having a conversation about it. I bark at him to just spell it wrong!! In their defense I am a quiet laborer so I guess she wasn’t really getting the severity of the situation. At this point I feel something moving down into the birth canal.

I get to my room and sit on the toilet to pee in their dumb cup. I reach up to make sure it wasn’t the baby’s head that was coming. All I felt was a bulging bag of water so I thought OK, maybe I still have some more time. DH walks in and I am just having one contraction after another (DH later told me he kept looking down under me because he was pretty sure I was having the baby right then). At this point the registration girl walks in and says we are moving you to a different room (bigger room). I thought I would die. I knew they were trying to be nice and put me in a big room once they knew I was a natural birthing patient but no one understood that none of that was going to be necessary pretty soon. Unfortunately when you have contractions that you can’t talk through and they are one after another, you can’t tell anyone NO DON’T MOVE ME.

They wheel me down the hall and drop me off in my new room. At this point all I want is to get in the bath so DH asks if I can and the registration girl says she has to ask our nurse if I can. I tell DH to run the bath so that I can get in as soon as I get the OK. I hear him go in the bathroom and I am still standing there in my street clothes by the bed. All of a sudden I get this contraction and a moan escapes me (this is when I know it’s time because I can not control what is coming out of my mouth). I climb up on the bed on my hands and knees and DH comes over to me. I say “I’m not going to make it”. He says “What does that mean? Are you going to need drugs? Is the baby coming?” (Poor guy. I couldn’t speak and he couldn’t read my mind). I say “I need to push” and he says OK and starts to walk out to get a nurse. I tell him not to leave (because I know this is it and I am afraid I will deliver alone). DH told me later he really thought he was going to deliver the baby. Luckily someone is walking by and catches wind of what is going on and a rush of people come in.

The nurse comes in and DH pulls my pants off, she checks me and says I am complete. (Well, duh, I could have told her that. She didn’t have to waste a glove) . I hear them on the intercom asking if my doctor is there. I hear “no” (came to find out later that my doctor was on the phone in his car at this point and had told them that I deliver fast and he would never make it but that he would come by anyway). Then I hear “is any doctor here?” . At that point I really don’t care who delivers! Luckily there was a doctor there who had just delivered one of her patients so she walks in and asked if she could turn on the lights. I hear her say it’s because she doesn’t know me and wants to see who she is delivering. I figure that’s a fair request so I say yes. Then she asks if she can break my water so that it doesn’t explode all over them when I’m pushing. While it would have been cool to see if Gabriel was going to be born in the caul, I really didn’t like the idea of giving all the nurses a bath so I said yes. Then she says the baby is coming how do you want to deliver. I say squatting. So they sit me up into a squat, I push twice, there’s the head, two more pushes (his shoulders were being a little stubborn) and he was out! A-MAZ-ING!! They hand me my little bundle and I am instantly in awe. I’m still in my tank top that I was wearing when I walked in 20 minutes earlier and now it is covered in baby goo and I keep thinking how awesome that is! I just remember saying Thank You and not really knowing if I was thanking the staff or God. It was all so overwhelming.

I did tear because he came so fast. There was just no time to slowly stretch. Other than that I felt absolutely amazing. They all cleared out after about 15 minutes and DH and I were just staring at each other and this little baby and were trying to absorb what had just transpired in the last 45 minutes. It took some time to all sink in. About an hour later DH remembers that he had left the car parked in the patient drop-off lane in front of the hospital Thank God he didn't go back downstairs to move it after I was checked in.

We went home the next morning. Sorry it has taken me so long to get this posted. And sorry it’s so loooong! It was fun to remember all those details again! Thanks for being so patient and waiting around for this baby to come.

Gabriel Asher
    9/13
    1:23 a.m.
    7 lbs, 11 oz.
    21 inches
    Last edited by Amygirl; 09-19-2009 at 02:37 PM.
    DD (8)
    DD (5) ~ our beautiful gift through adoption
    DS (2)
    Shocked to find out #4 is on it's way (Due Date 12/10/12)

2. Advertisement

J&FM2005
    tired:-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    Wow Amy! What an awesome birth story. The weeks of contractions were worth it, huh?

I am soooooo happy for you.
    Jillian 33 DH 39
    DD Emily 3/19/99 PDD, Epilepsy
    IVF#1 11/08 BFP - DD Madi 7/22/09

DS John our sweet little miracle born 12/16/2010 at 34w5d

thunderbird
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow!Just wow! would type more but rocking baby. yay Gabriel
    TTC for 3 years. IVF #1 Feb 2007 FET #1 May 2007 - Owen born 1/22/08!
    Alison born 8/14/09!

McKenna
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Amygirl View Post
    I had just replied to McKenna’s post and got my first strong contraction at 11:00.
    It was my comment about the baby falling off the ticker that finally put you into real labor. Your L&D story is one of those "just like in the movies" birth stories. I can imagine you waiting for DH and the nurse to try to spell the name of the antibiotic. Oh the words that must have been going through your mind! Your story is wonderful...so natural and exciting. Congrats on your gorgeous little guy. I am so glad he's doing well.
    McKenna

Me (34) DH (35) Together 19 years!

#1 M(8.5) SPD, ADHD, AD-NOS
    #2 O(6.5) SPD
    #3 G (7/11/09 - 11/20/09) Down syndrome, congenital heart defects, subm. CP, syndactyly - died in my arms after open-heart surgery
    #4 L (7 mos) ASD heart defect - closed by 6 mos

6.5 years of IF

There is always a choice - choose life!

Lovey1226
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Amy I am having such happy tears over here for you!!! What a wonderful and happy ending to that part of the journey!!!

Welcome Gabriel Asher! I am so glad you shared your story!!
    Kim (35) & Dh (35)-
    CJ (7-18-08) Miracle of domestic adoption!
    CC (8-13-09) Natural Surprise

janslem
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a wonderful and quick birth story. I still cant beleive you held out as long as you did! CONGRATS~~~

janslem
    dx PCOS in 1995, hypothyriod in 1999
    6 injection cycles with 2 IUI!
    1 5/03, 1 chemical 10/01,
    1 blighted ovum 12/03

Braelyn Claire born 4/25/07

Carson Paul born 7/15/09

Amygirl
    shocked
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by J&FM2005 View Post
    Wow Amy! What an awesome birth story. The weeks of contractions were worth it, huh?

I am soooooo happy for you.
    Jillian,

I forgot to tell you that your words actually ran through my mind several times while in labor. You said to me in one of your posts once something to the affect of "once you can't talk through them you better get right to the hospital".
    I remember thinking "Oh Jillian was right, maybe I should have left a little sooner".
    DD (8)
    DD (5) ~ our beautiful gift through adoption
    DS (2)
    Shocked to find out #4 is on it's way (Due Date 12/10/12)

J&FM2005
    tired:-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    Sleepy
    I knew you would go quickly

You are my proof that it can work. I just wish I had believed in myself as much as I believed in you!
    Jillian 33 DH 39
    DD Emily 3/19/99 PDD, Epilepsy
    IVF#1 11/08 BFP - DD Madi 7/22/09

DS John our sweet little miracle born 12/16/2010 at 34w5d