FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
anyone's 14month old wearing glasses?  Caleb needs them....

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TamiK
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

anyone's 14month old wearing glasses? Caleb needs them....

We took Caleb to the eye doctor today....we were noticing that he had a lazy eye. He did have ROP in and after the NICU, but that resolved itself, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it (Opth Dr. says no). Anyway, I had taken him to the ophthamologist in June for a birthmark in the back of his eye, and had asked if he thought that Caleb had a lazy eye then because DH thought he had noticed it. The Opth. said he didn't see anything. Now, we took him today, and yes, he does have a lazy eye, and he gave us a prescription for glasses for him. He said that he is far-sighted (as all babies are), but that he thinks Caleb's is a little worse. He did some little tests, one where he had Caleb look at an animated stuffed animal in the back of the room and then covered each eye individually. Caleb seemed more agitated when they covered his right eye (he thinks because he couldn't see as well out of the left eye). Sooooo, the plan is to put glasses on him for 6weeks (prescription in both eyes) and then go back for evaluation, and then possibly use a patch to strengthen the left eye. From what he says, the glasses will help straighten the eye, and the patch will strengthen it. I asked him if this meant that Caleb would always have to wear glasses like his Daddy (DH has a lazy eye and is far-sighted, so he wears glasses/contacts that are +6), and he said not neccessarily, that maybe we can "nip this in the bud". DH is kind of wishing he hadn't told him about his lazy eye/far-sightedness just to see what the doc said without that info. DH has had bad luck with eye docs...so it's a struggle to get him to trust them. **sigh**

The problem is I just don't know how we are going to keep them on him AND keep Abigail from grabbing them! Hopefully he won't have to wear them too long.

Anyone have to do this with your little ones, and if so, how old were they?
    Tammy Ryan
    Abigail & Caleb
    Boy/Girl twins born 8-18-04 at 26 weeks

This Blog
    That Blog

2. Advertisement

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    I don't have any info for you, but arat's (tara's) DD has worn them for a while now - I think since about a year. She posts every now and then so if she doesn't reply to this post, you may want to PM her. I hope the glasses will help in the short term so he doesn't have to wear them life long.
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

rchatter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Chatty
    A couple of weeks ago, I recently had Sanjay checked for his lazy eye. Fortunately, the doc only noticed the problem when he was pissed off. His eyesight was good and she didn't think he needed a patch.

Anyway, I asked her how does she keep her young patients to wear their glasses. She said if they need them, they will keep them on. They obviously can see better.

Good luck. Hope arat or someone else can give you the answers you need.
    Rita

Sanjay (7)
    Alex (5)

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I was going to say arat too. Her little Mia looks absolutely adorable in her glasses and as far as I know doesn't seem to mind them GL!
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

TinaB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No help here but I bet Caleb will be handsome in his glasses. AAron has an eye appointment on the 31st to see if he has a lazy eye, which I am sure he does.
    Tina
    me;(39) DH;Shane(36)
    SD-Bailey-15
    DS-Tyler-9 DS-Aaron-4

BabyDana
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Can't help you here but DH and I both wear glasses. DH has a disorder called Fukes (sp?) disease. It runs in the family (MIL has it). There is a chance that Dana will get it. So far so good, no issues here. FYI: I wore glasses at 18 months and still do. It's was for a lazy eye too and according to the DR now it seemed to of worked cause I don't have one any more. Good luck. Caleb will be just fine
    Annisa ~ Mommy to Big Girl Dana

There is nothing better than the loving smile of a child.

3pookies
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Fine
    I'd get a second opinion on the glasses. My dd has lazy eye in both eyes and has been treating for it since she is about 21 months. We've now seen two eye doctors regarding the issue and both said that they didn't feel that glasses would help to resolve the issue. She did patch for about 6 months and now we are getting ready to do surgery.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Meredith
    Proud Mommy to Jillian - 6/02
    Noah - 3/04 and
    Sari - 3/06

arat
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Tammy, My Mia has been in glasses since she was 10 mo. old and we felt the exact same way you are right now..on the way home from our first eye doctor appt. we called our pedi. right away for a second opionon we didn't believe it at all!!! complete denial! the very next day we saw our second pediatric opt. and same results the difference was this guy was GREAT he explained everything and put my mind at ease about her keeping them on....she is a +6 in both eyes very farsighted...well the first night we put them on her I did it during dinner while her hands were buisy with the food she didn't try to pull them off...she pulled them off twice the next day and now she will be two in Jan and its just a part of her life she never pulls them off unless she is ready for bed she knows she can see better with them on and it has never been an issue since....then the subject of others pulling them off well she does have a group of little friends and the very first time we all got together yes they did get yanked off her face a few times but now even they don't see her any different its just Mia the novilty has worn off...I wish you luck with it pm me anytime if I can help....my suggestions would be to get a second opinion and did they dialate his eyes?? sorry to ramble... luv Tara
    Tara Dh-Andy
    ttc 4+ years
    Dx blocked tubes/ cysts/scar tissue
    2 failed IVF'S
    1 FET WORKED---We now have our miracle baby Mia!! 1-8-04
    Im so gratefull for my full membership thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

DebbB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    My DS was diagnosed with infantile strabismus at 3 months old. He was immeadiately put in glasses and began patching. His first surgery was done at 7 months old. Both the glasses and patching are meant to strenghten the weaker eye. The glasses may also be used to improve vision, as in our case.

Try keeping glasses on a 4 month old, it was not easy at all! I'd have to agree with the others, once Caleb realizes how well he can see, he won't be taking them off.

Good luck!
    mommy to
    B- 5 - dx NLD
    C- 4
    B - 2

KAMILI
    is taking a mommy break :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Mood
    In Love
    Mia does a wonderful job at keeping her glasses on. She's adorable with them on.

to you!! Let us know how it goes!!
    ~ 7 1/2 years old
    & ~ 11 months old

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast