FertileThoughts.com - Infertility, adoption, pregnancy and parenting discussions
Just a few questions for the experts

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    GalaxyGirl
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a few questions for the experts

Hi Moms!

I'm curious about a few Mothering skills. I'm looking for your best techniques & recommendations

1) Transitioning off bottle to cup
    My DDs drink water from sippy cups, but still prefer bottles 4x a day (just before breakfast, lunch, dinner, bedtime). Every once in a while, I give them sippy cups w/formula-whole milk combo at lunchtime. The first time they get it, they'll drink an ounce or so and toss it. If I repeat the next day, they'll chuck the cup without even drinking from it. Of course that means they're ravished and demanding a bottle at their 4PM/pre-dinner and not the cup. Have any of you experienced similar rejection? How did you handle it? How long did it take for your toddler to give up the bottles during the day?

2) Climbing staircases
    We have a single step that separates our living room & family room. My DDs have known how to crawl up & down it for months. (They are NOT walking yet.) We've kept our staircase gated and keep a watchful eye that they don't attempt going beyond it. (Some of you have already read stories: the gate is elevated for our cats, so the girls could crawl under if they wanted. We're just very watchful and so far, they know they aren't supposed to go there.)

Today, I got a wild hair and decided to let them try climbing up the stairs for their nap. They did very well. (The surprise and curiosity on their faces was hysterical!) Of course now that I've done it, I'm regretting... I worry that they'll try it on their own. Anyway... When did you start letting your kids climb stairs with your guidance?? Should I have started earlier or waited longer?

That's it for now. Just 2 simple questions. Thanks!!

Janet
    Janet (44), DH (44)
    Genevieve & Victoria 10/04
    via IVF#6 w/PGD
    +

2. Advertisement

rchatter
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Chatty
    Once Sanjay was able to drink from a straw well, then I started replacing the milk bottles one meal at a time. The breakfast bottle was the first to go because that was when he most wanted his milk. He was very defiant at first and always gave me this "horrific" look when he saw the sippy cup. I just put him in his chair and gave him his breakfast and a sippy cup of water. He would drink when he was thirsty. This lasted a couple of weeks and then he started drinking from his sippy cup. I then replaced another time.

The nighttime bottle was the last to go.

Under my guidance, I let Sanjay start climbing before a year. If daddy was upstairs he was eager to go. Though, if we were alone together, he would take a few steps and wait for me.

Hope that helps.
    Rita

Sanjay (7)
    Alex (5)

morynn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't help with the stair case question, as we don't have any.

As far as the cup, we slowly transitioned Tanner. He goes to daycare so we started with his lunch bottle. I did not pack a bottle in his bag for the daycare. It was touch and go for about 4 days, then he realized the bottle wasn't coming back. He still wasn't a huge fan of the cup, but would drink from it when he was thirsty.

Next we took his bedtime bottle away...This one was super hard because, yes, he had gotten to where he used this bottle to go to sleep...I know bad mommy of the year award goes to me for this one! Anyway, this one we started immediately after the 4 days off of the lunch bottle. It was much more difficult and we had several nights of chunking the cup and CIO. About 5-6 days of no bottle and he caught on.

Lastly we took the breakfast bottle. We did this one last because he would take this one in the mornings in his bed while I showered and got ready for work. He would take his bottle, then we would get ready for daycare and he would have cheerios either in the highchair waiting on me or at daycare if I was actually running ahead of schedule. This one was the easiest of all. I guess he caught on that he wasn't getting a bottle. I am happy to report that we have been bottle free since October 1st! It was a battle at times, but with balanced meals throughout the day plus snacks, he is getting everything he needs and has mastered the sippy finally!

Good luck.
    Kim
    Kenzie (9) & Tanner (4)

Love isn't about finding the perfect person, but learning to see an imperfect person perfectly!
    Author Unknown

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~Elizabeth Stone

I'm on my way...-20 lbs...57 to go! 1 pound at a time!

Kalyn
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janet, good to see you!

I'm not much help with the bottle transitioning, because mine are still on bottles!! They get juice and water in their sippy cups, and half formula/cow's milk mixture in their bottles x3 per day. It doesn't seem to be such a big thing in this country to let them stay on bottles till they're a bit older, and mine LOVE their bottles so much I would hate to deprive them.

As far as the stairs go, we have the bottom and top of the staircase blocked off, but have let them crawl up - and, more recently, down - with supervision since they were about 13-14mo. They are very careful, and even practise walking (holding onto mom's hand) up and down now!

Enjoy!
    Kalyn 41 DH 37, dx POF
    DE IVF#1 May 2003 BFN .... DE IVF#2 Sept 2003 BFP - 14dp3dt beta 1734
    B/G twins James Alan & Kathleen Ann born 04/28/04 at 36w2d by c/s
    YAYA Sister Contessa of has monkeys in trees who likes pearls & loves Sushi who is a great friend & supporter who DEFEATED IF from Durban SA people

dutchgirl
    is :)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Hi Janet,

I am no help whatsoever as Cam transitioned to a sippy pretty easily - I guess he was never too attached to the bottle as he didn't care particularly care for breastfeeding and gave the pacifier up on his own too.

As far as the stairs, he has been going up supervised for awhile now and I have taught him how to go down on his bum because I worry more about him going down. I hope others have more/better advice. I swear I can't remember from one month to the next
    Lisa
    My three sweet miracles
    DS = the big 8!
    DD = 6...going on 16
    DS = just shy of TWO!

DDVMM
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    My Mood
    Tired
    I dont think I can help with question one - we had a very easy transition. Just keep giving them the sippy and they will figure it out!

The stairs - well, DS(aka monkey) started on his own around 6-7 months. By 9 months he was sneaking up the stairs when we weren't looking. Now at 22 months he can walk up and down the stairs without supervision - we do keep a gate at the bottom, but sometimes my older DD's forget to close it. Personally, as long as they are supervised, it will be a great boost for their independence if you let them go up the stairs - but going down the stairs is something that needs to be taught and practiced!
    GL!!
    DD 9/99 DD 3/01 DS 12/03 DD 7/08
    Thyroid Cancer SurvivorSurvivingSTRONG!!

TinaB
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No help here with the bottle, either. Aaron still has his. I have been substituting the sippy cup @ meal times but he still wants abottle before a nap and at bedtime. I get the second bad mommy of the year award! We have two steps between our den and dining room. Aaron has been going up them for quite a while and has mastered how to turn around and slide down. Good luck and do whatever you are comfortable with.
    Tina
    me;(39) DH;Shane(36)
    SD-Bailey-15
    DS-Tyler-9 DS-Aaron-4

GingerIL
    has no status.
    Over 5,000 Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDVMM
    I dont think I can help with question one - we had a very easy transition. Just keep giving them the sippy and they will figure it out!

The stairs - well, DS(aka monkey) started on his own around 6-7 months. By 9 months he was sneaking up the stairs when we weren't looking. Now at 22 months he can walk up and down the stairs without supervision - we do keep a gate at the bottom, but sometimes my older DD's forget to close it. Personally, as long as they are supervised, it will be a great boost for their independence if you let them go up the stairs - but going down the stairs is something that needs to be taught and practiced!
    GL!!
    Ditto everything Michele said. Maybe that's because our little monkeys were born on the same day

Seriously, it's a great idea to give them supervised stair practice at this age. You will be amazed at how quickly they catch on!
    GingerIL

7 year battle with IF/Immune Issues
    Surprise Miracle Princess born 12/16/03!!!
    Breast Cancer Survivor!

littlecalista
    has no status.
    My heart is still in Seattle, the rest of me is in FL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I can't help you on the sippy question as Finn is still drinking milk/formula from a bottle. He takes water in his sippy. He had a hard time figuring out how to suck on it and was just getting little drips from it for the longest time. Then when we were in Vegas he jsut started sucking on it. I guess with all the heat he got really thirsty!!

He's been able to go up the stairs for quite a while (I stand right behind him), and recently started going down them too. I have to make sure I go down first because I was above him one day and when he looked up at me he fell backwards down the stairs!! I was horrified!!! Thankfully he was fine, but now I'm paranoid and insist on going down first so I can steady him if he's about to fall.
    8 years of Primary IF, IUI x5, IVF x3, donor embryo x2, DIUI x2, 3 losses, but I wouldn't trade it for anything!
    DS+IVF/ICSI #3= One embryo success story! 4/03/2004
    DIUI #2 = Twins Born 6/27/2007 (34w2d) Surviving and thriving after NEC!

9/05 3/06 12/07

LindaG
    has no status.
    Post Thanks / Like
    It took Callum awhile to get used to a sippy cup. I think I started offering a cup at 9 months + and just when I thought we should try a different kind of cup he "got it". I tried to offer it at meal times and snack times, just so he got used to seeing it. We traded the lunch time bottle first, then late afternoon, then breakfast and finally bedtime bottle at 15 months. He hasn't missed having the bottles. I did find after awhile he liked the cups with straws better.

As for the stair question, Callum will go down our basement stairs on his tummy really fast these days! He seems to want to climb them these days instead of crawling up them.

Good Luck,

Linda